Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
FFDShow is acting pretty good with Orb, no need for other codecs.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ San Cayetano, Spain
Hi from Spain!

Sorry if this was asked in this forum before, i tried searching but i did not found a valid info...

Is there something like ORB for Linux especially (k)Ubuntu?

regards,

Rafael

You can do it yourself with VLC

You can also try to use UPNP servers (but only locally), or if for internet tablet - use mediaserv. For music and pictures there are other ways.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Hi Bundyo!

Without going too far... could you tell me some more information, where i can find a howto or someting alike?

What i want is (NOT ONLY) access media files (audio/video/pics) but also have access to my other files. So is there a way?

I took a look on Orb with my wifes computer but i do not to switch to windows. I am not a geek or nerd, only an "afficionado".

Greetings,

Rafael

Originally Posted by rafaelwv View Post
Hi Bundyo!

Without going too far... could you tell me some more information, where i can find a howto or someting alike?

What i want is (NOT ONLY) access media files (audio/video/pics) but also have access to my other files. So is there a way?

I took a look on Orb with my wifes computer but i do not to switch to windows. I am not a geek or nerd, only an "afficionado".

Greetings,

Rafael
Yes orb will let you use a file browser and you should be able to retrive any files from the computer that you have it installed on. I'd definitely recommend that your computer have a wired internet connection.

The interface on the N810 is great if you have it set to "Home Theater", it almost feels like it was built for it.

Originally Posted by Benz145 View Post
Yes orb will let you use a file browser and you should be able to retrive any files from the computer that you have it installed on. I'd definitely recommend that your computer have a wired internet connection.

The interface on the N810 is great if you have it set to "Home Theater", it almost feels like it was built for it.
Yeah, You are right... BUT Orb only works on Windows. I do not use Windows, I don't have Windows. My wife has windows, but I want to access MY files and MY folders on MY computer.

So what I am searching is something like Orb, BUT for Linux.
There must be a way to do this. N800 runs Linux, my machine runs Linux...

regards,

Rafael

For instance, for video - Mediaserv with its web backend or VideoCenter for client.
http://mediautils.garage.maemo.org/mediaserv.html

For audio, pictures and documents you can use SSH or maybe Hamachi or any other vpn... or maybe webdav. Never really needed that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
I'm happy with Orb but if I was looking for something else, Mediaserv looks pretty cool.