Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Any news for a lib version of loader so the Python guys can build a binding?
Bad news on that front, sadly. I was hoping to lobby it into the QMaemo5 module or a lib in Extras at least, but in the end, it seems it will remain as-is, a Qt solutions example. This sadly means that there will be no system level solution for Qt widgets, it’s every man for himself.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Bad news on that front, sadly. I was hoping to lobby it into the QMaemo5 module or a lib in Extras at least, but in the end, it seems it will remain as-is, a Qt solutions example. This sadly means that there will be no system level solution for Qt widgets, it’s every man for himself.
very disappointing

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Thanks for trying!
Anyway, this is getting ridiculous.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I still might do a PyQt specific edition of it when PR1.2 gets released, but it will be just that - a community supported additional module for PyQt (=no PySide or C++ compatibility).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wageningen (NL)
Is there a qt4-homescreen-loader availabe that works for PR1.2?

I downloaded the example, but I cannot build the project using Madde 0.6.72. (first error: hd-plugin-loader-qt.c:42:47: error: libhildondesktop/libhildondesktop.h: No such file or directory)

Installing qt4-homescreen-loader from extras-testing doesn't seem to work on my PR1.2 N900.

Does anyone have a working example of a qt4 homescreen widget for PR1.2 that can be built using Madde?

Bump.

It seems that this very early approach does exactly what I need - it is able to dynamically add a desktop widget from inside an application.

The only issue with it is that it disappears after reboot.

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Bump.

It seems that this very early approach does exactly what I need - it is able to dynamically add a desktop widget from inside an application.

The only issue with it is that it disappears after reboot.
So this is not using plugin?
Looks like its calling X and widget bits to make a hole in the desktop to push your widget ?
(python bloke trying to understand C++)

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
So this is not using plugin?
Right.
I don't want my widget to appear in Desktop menu / Add widget, instad I want my app to dynamically create them with a push of a button from the app.

Looks like its calling X and widget bits to make a hole in the desktop to push your widget ?
(python bloke trying to understand C++)
Yes, that is a very good understanding of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Right.
I don't want my widget to appear in Desktop menu / Add widget, instad I want my app to dynamically create them with a push of a button from the app.
With that requirement, you're not going to solve "The only issue with it is that it disappears after reboot." any time soon.

Hildon Home will only save the positions of those widgets etc. in GConf if it has been added from that menu, AFAIK.

That said, you could make a widget that shows up in Add Widget and keeps track of the other dynamically added widgets. That way, when that widget is loaded, presumably on bootup, it'll load your other widgets.

I believe earlier versions of krk969's battery level applet placed an Upstart job definition in /etc/event.d so that the widget would be placed on the desktop after rebooting (this was before the Qt loader for Hildon Desktop).

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
With that requirement, you're not going to solve "The only issue with it is that it disappears after reboot." any time soon.
Well, it appears that I'm going to solve it in a matter of minutes, thanks to you - as you already posted 2 possible solutions for it.

Hildon Home will only save the positions of those widgets etc. in GConf if it has been added from that menu, AFAIK.
Yes, but I could take care of remembering their positions myself.

That said, you could make a widget that shows up in Add Widget and keeps track of the other dynamically added widgets. That way, when that widget is loaded, presumably on bootup, it'll load your other widgets.
Yes, but this way, adding that one widget is needed (not very user friendly compared to what my purpose is), so I'll go with your next proposal.

I believe earlier versions of krk969's battery level applet placed an Upstart job definition in /etc/event.d so that the widget would be placed on the desktop after rebooting (this was before the Qt loader for Hildon Desktop).
Ahh, this is it!
Some nice people on #qt-maemo also recommended this approach. On the bottom of this page, there is a small description about what is needed - it seems pretty straightforward.

Thank you very much!

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post: