Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hi,

0) Thanks

1) You need to add your icon to /usr/share/pixmaps/youricon.png and declare it in the /usr/share/applications/hildon/nedit.desktop take a look at the pypackager desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon/pypackager.desktop

2) I don't think it 's a problem.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
1) I have successfully created a deb from a tree containing a binary applicaiton. When I run the application, no icon appears in the lower left menu bar (showing the applications that are running). What does one need to get the icon for the app to show up in the "task bar"?

2) this application is not GTK based (it is Nedit, a powerful GUI editor), could this be my problem with the icon not showing up in the "task bar"?
1) see 2 :-)
2) I got this information on the maemo developers list a few days ago (and have since fixed MClock, but not yet uploaded...): Your problem is "that the WM_CLASS provided by your application window and the one specified in its .desktop file do not match. Therefore Maemo Task Navigator cannot match what was started from the menu and the window the application opened. [...]
Gtk sets WM_CLASS automatically to the application (binary) name, so this is usually only a problem for non-Gtk apps, e.g. SDL games."

Therefore, just make sure to set the X11 WM_CLASS inside your application to the same value that you wrote into yourapp.desktop file.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
1) You need to add your icon to /usr/share/pixmaps/youricon.png and declare it in the /usr/share/applications/hildon/nedit.desktop take a look at the pypackager desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon/pypackager.desktop
Important: this explanation only suffices for GTK apps! If someone has a SDL or pure PyGame app, it won't work. See details in my previous post.

BUT: if you're already mentioning that icon... Could you add a feature to PyPackager that would automatically take this icon (or let me manually select an icon), then encode it in the debian package? This way, PyPackaged debs could have their proper icon instead of the default one

Thanks again!
-Tom

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
1) see 2 :-)
2) I got this information on the maemo developers list a few days ago (and have since fixed MClock, but not yet uploaded...): Your problem is "that the WM_CLASS provided by your application window and the one specified in its .desktop file do not match. Therefore Maemo Task Navigator cannot match what was started from the menu and the window the application opened. [...]
Gtk sets WM_CLASS automatically to the application (binary) name, so this is usually only a problem for non-Gtk apps, e.g. SDL games."

Therefore, just make sure to set the X11 WM_CLASS inside your application to the same value that you wrote into yourapp.desktop file.
Thanks! This make sense. I'll have to poke around the Nedit to see what the WM_CLASS is.

Thanks!

Craig...

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
PyPackager has just been updated to version 0.4 ...

"
BUT: if you're already mentioning that icon... Could you add a feature to PyPackager that would automatically take this icon (or let me manually select an icon), then encode it in the debian package? This way, PyPackaged debs could have their proper icon instead of the default one "
You can do it now ...

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Hey...Great stuff! I need to start using your packager soon to package ukmp.

Another feature request would be if you have the time to do it, is:
Can you add support to upload the package to the extras repository?
There are instructions on how to do it, but it's been too painful for me so far (as an osx user) to do it (mostly because there is no dedsign for osx). After that, it would make your application a one-stop place to create maemo applications and submit them for the general public to consume. Also would make it easy for people to create updates of their applications.

Last edited by konttori; 2007-10-07 at 20:16.

You can do it now ...
BEAUTIFUL - thanks!

"
BUT: if you're already mentioning that icon... Could you add a feature to PyPackager that would automatically take this icon (or let me manually select an icon), then encode it in the debian package? This way, PyPackaged debs could have their proper icon instead of the default one "
You can do it now ...
Really great stuff.
Just downloaded, installed and testing.
Opening files system tree to save a file in PP
/usr/bin hangs on my N770 for 20-30 sec.

Darius

"
You can do it now ...
Really great stuff.
Just downloaded, installed and testing.
Opening files system tree to save a file in PP
/usr/bin hangs on my N770 for 20-30 sec.
Mayby due to low on memory.

Darius

Keeps getting better! Thanks my icon now shows up in application manager... perfect!

Darius why are you opening /usr/bin? I usually set up a directory like /home/usr/sources and copy only my files directories into respective subdirectories. Pypackager would then point to /home/user/sources root directory. If the file you want to backup is in the bin directory then copy it from xterm to your /home/usr/sources/bin/ directory. Thats kind of a merge tree. Hope i understood your question right.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-10-08 at 00:01.