Notices

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get off of Windows (onto Ubuntu, or some other linux OS) and the only hang up is finding a phone/mobile computer that can sync with my contacts/calendar like I can do now with my Palm and outlook (without giving all my info to google through their cloud!)

My other requirements are: qwerty, 3.5mm jack, drag and drop for music, and spreadsheet.

Other things would be nice, like GPS and wifi, but not necessary.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to sniffingratty For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The N900 seems to fit your description. Search for syncevolution first to make sure you can sync over bt or usb with evolution on ubuntu.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
awesome, I finally have a solution, thank you so much!

I think I will wait a day to see if something comes up in these forums: http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/
just because they are using more devices than just the N900/N9. The n900 seems ok, but it is a bit old and still expensive.

Do you know about the cyanogenmod project? It seems to be a really active forum with ~20 different devices that have been hacked. For some reason no one is biting on my questions tho.

Well I searched for snycevolution and the how to that I found seems way too complicated for me, and also not a complete solution.

Maybe there is a different device or program that would be more feasible for a non-developer like me?

Hi,

As a full time Linux user with a Windows partition which rarely ever boots I can tell you there is no easy way to sync computer and N900. If that's all that's keeping you on Windows then might I suggest you don't jump ship to Linux? There's more to secure computing than syncing data.

The Following User Says Thank You to TopBananananana For This Useful Post:
I would like to jump ship to Linux. But I'm not sure if you are saying that there is no easy way to sync the computer with the N900 in windows, or in linux, or in both?