This is my first post and first problem in Nokia N900.

I switched off my N900 and switched it on again and It hung up with five dots after booting up. When I remove sim card and try to start with only battery and it works right. when I insert sim card and try to switch it on, only dots appear and shows some process running behind. I tried this things :

* Deleted contacts from the sim card
* Enabled R&D mode and switched on. same issue. booting up and dots.
* Switched off mobile and taken out battery and connected with usb and then switched it on and inserted battery.
* Removed battery and tried to switch on without battery to drain out any charge.
* Tried sim card on other mobile and sim works right.
* Inserted different sim card on N900 and switched it on. same problem.
* Battery is almost fully charged (~80%)

Mobile works ok without sim card. So I can say now my Nokia N900 is only computer and not computer - phone...!!!

Has anyone experienced similar problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to Alphabeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
did you try cleaning your sim card?

The Following User Says Thank You to weirdbeard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember there was a bug relating to the sim card becoming unrecognized. The one thing you haven't tried is flashing it to the latest firmware. If you are already running PR1.1.1, then try reflashing it.

If that STILL doesn't help, pull all your data off the N900 (pictures, music, movies, docs, etc), and flash both the storage and firmware.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
could be your sim card didn't connect to the pins properly. how old is it?

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Guys, he tried a second sim card with the same effect. That pretty much rules out the sim card as the culprit...

The Following User Says Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Last month I changed my provider and they send me new sim card. So sim card is only one month old.
I haven't tried to reflashing my device.( I m running PR 1.1.1) Is there any other option except reflashing? Also, it works ok without sim card so may be not a software issue.

hehe.. I reflash n900 with latest fiasco image and still same problem. I haven't reflash with eMMC image. Does it helps?

I flashed with eMMC image and no solution. Mobile starts without sim card but when I insert sim card and try to start, it hung up after five dots for a long time and I have to shut down.
I emailed Nokia care and waiting for their reply.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
You must remember to flash the fiasco image first then the eMMC.you cannot boot up the phone in between flashes. What I did was to take off the (-R)-restart, flash the phone. Then I took out battery to confirm it didnt boot up. Put the battery back in. Then run the eMMC with the (-R) on. Your phone should be fine then hopefully.

The Following User Says Thank You to gom4381 For This Useful Post:
I did it same way. First I flash with fiasco image (2nd time) without reboot (removed -R) and after message came in terminal that device flashed, I removed usb cable first and switched off my mobile. Though, I didn't removed battery but I think it didn't boot up. Then, immediately flashed with eMMC image and rebooted.

It flashed eMMC in 26 sec. (Quickly) as wiki says it takes few minutes to flash eMMC image.