Active Topics

Hi Memo Forums,

I picked up a Samsung Omnia 7 recently, thought I would share you all with my experiences in the short vs my N900.

Screen
- No brainer here', the Samsung has a 4" Super AMOLED and it's crisp with vibrant colours.

- OS
A mixed basket. Windows Phone 7 is responsive and beautiful though it's limited in what it can do as apps are sandboxed. The N900 is mature, has more features, more options, but at times it is slow to response and laggy (especially with messages).

In WP7 I miss mostly USB OTG though the Zune software is Nice. After playing with WP7 for a while then going back to Maemo it makes Maemo look a little bland.

- Third Party Apps
Apps have so far been of good quality, but similar to what you get on the N900 in terms of features. However games on WP7 seem to be of generally higher quality (due to targeted publishers).

- Camera / Video
The photo pictures seem to be about the same quality with the upper hand to the Samsung in the day and possibly the N900 at night. However video recording on the Samsung is 720P and it looks Great.

- Keyboard
N900 hands down. But that's because I'm a physical keyboard guy. Anyone who's played with a touch screen keyboard knows they don't compare. However for a touch screen keyboard WP7 does remarkably well and has good text correction.

- Hardware Build Quality
Tough to say. I love the N900's big and chunky presence with slide out keyboard but the Omnia 7 is sleek with its metallic body and lovely screen.

- Conclusion
In the short it's a tough choice. For a now "technically dated" phone the N900 holds up well as a full feature rich phone. The Samsung wins over on general consumer experience though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to horus For This Useful Post: