Notices

Originally Posted by KPAH View Post
What about reversing the connection?
I.e.Ad-Hoc connection is hosted by the PC, rather than N900.
Will it make any difference?
With Ad-Hoc mode: No.

If the PC could make itself appear as a basestation then in such case power-management (and WPA) would be available.

Unfortunately there is no sane way for the PC to "host" the connection even if in theory DHCP (and via that routing information) could still be served from the N900.

("why not sane": it would require separate hosting programs for each OS, and depending on the wifi drivers etc it might or might not work. While Linux makes stuff like this easy [supposing proper drivers are available] you can count me out of trying to develop something for windows).

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Snowierasha
As for windows, at least Realtek wifi utility has a "Software AP" feature. Haven't test it though. In this case you just specify gateway adress on the PC = N900 adress and you should be done.

I think ASUS has the same option.
In my case it's Atheros under Win7, I use windows to maange wifi.

Besides, there have been rumors about finally implementing p2p mode to wireless adapters as standart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct

Last edited by KPAH; 2010-12-09 at 11:12.

I have installed this release and I see the possibility to set usb modem. But I don't know how to use with my pc...
Is there any explanation?
thank you

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by KPAH View Post
As for windows, at least Realtek wifi utility has a "Software AP" feature. Haven't test it though. In this case you just specify gateway adress on the PC = N900 adress and you should be done.
As long as your operating system is Windows 7 and the drivers support Virtual WiFi, your PC can act as an AP:

http://www.blogsdna.com/5506/how-to-...a-software.htm

Hi

I keep getting Mobilehotspot failed to start....any suggestions?

DEBUG: executing uname -r
DEBUG: executing lsmod
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/nf_conntrack.ko
DEBUG: Command output: insmod: can't read '/lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/nf_conntrack.ko': No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/mobilehotspot_backend", line 14, in <module>
sys.exit(backend.cli())
File "/opt/mobilehotspot/libs/backend.py", line 431, in cli
backend.start()
File "/opt/mobilehotspot/libs/backend.py", line 141, in start
self.start_insert_modules()
File "/opt/mobilehotspot/libs/backend.py", line 174, in start_insert_modules
self.state['kernel']['loaded_modules'][modulename] = self.test_insert_module(modulename)
File "/opt/mobilehotspot/libs/backend.py", line 407, in test_insert_module
helpers.exec_cmd('insmod ' + self.module_directory + '/' + module + '.ko')
File "/home/rambo/src/mobilehotspot/trunk/src/libs/helpers.py", line 12, in exec_cmd
Exception: Command 'insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/nf_conntrack.ko' returned with code 256 (0 expected)

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
If you haven't tried it yet - I just discovered this today - even if you are prompted with the error message "Mobile Hotspot failed to start", if you see a data connection established, your MH might still have connected.

I kept receiving the error after the tether was broken due to an incoming call. I reinstalled the app several times, rebooted, physically deleted /opt/mobilehotspot/libs etc. to no avail. Finally decided to try it despite the error, and here we are, using it as we speak. [Using Titan's latest kernel]

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Hi,
recently mobilehotspot doesn't work any more on my N900; in particular, I can't find its essid network name with my other devices. The log seems normal:
Code:
~ $ sudo /usr/sbin/mobilehotspot_backend start ; echo $?
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power46/nf_conntrack.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power46/nf_defrag_ipv4.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power46/nf_conntrack_ipv4.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power46/nf_nat.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power46/iptable_nat.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power46/ipt_MASQUERADE.ko
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 down
DEBUG: executing iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 up
DEBUG: executing iwconfig wlan0 essid "MHS"
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 10.58.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.85:/com/nokia/icd2: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Unsupported interface or method
DEBUG: executing /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -i wlan0 -a 10.58.1.1 -I lo -z -x /var/run/dnsmasq.wlan0.pid --dhcp-range=10.58.1.10,10.58.1.100,6h --dhcp-option=3,10.58.1.1 --dhcp-option=6,10.58.1.1
DEBUG: executing iptables --flush
DEBUG: executing iptables --flush -t nat
DEBUG: executing iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE -s 10.58.1.0/24
~ $ sudo /usr/sbin/mobilehotspot_backend stop ; echo $?
DEBUG-read_previous_state: setting state key 'gconf' to value: {'wlan_search_interval': 0}
DEBUG-read_previous_state: setting state key 'kernel' to value: {'loaded_modules': {'x_tables': False, 'nf_nat': True, 'nf_conntrack': True, 'ipt_MASQUERADE': True, 'nf_conntrack_ipv4': True, 'ip_tables': False, 'iptable_nat': True, 'nf_defrag_ipv4': True}}
DEBUG-read_previous_state: setting state key 'icd' to value: {}
DEBUG: executing iptables --flush
DEBUG: executing iptables --flush -t nat
DEBUG: Sending SIGTERM to: 9626

DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 down
DEBUG: executing iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
DEBUG: executing iwconfig wlan0 key open
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.85:/com/nokia/icd2: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Unsupported interface or method
DEBUG: executing rmmod ipt_MASQUERADE
DEBUG: executing rmmod iptable_nat
DEBUG: executing rmmod nf_nat
DEBUG: executing rmmod nf_conntrack_ipv4
DEBUG: executing rmmod nf_defrag_ipv4
DEBUG: executing rmmod nf_conntrack
~ $
Joikuspot still works.
Any hint? Thanks

Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Hi
Exception: Command 'insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/nf_conntrack.ko' returned with code 256 (0 expected)
you're using stock kernel, (re)install titans kernel for power users, reboot and try again.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Hi,
recently mobilehotspot doesn't work any more on my N900; in particular, I can't find its essid network name with my other devices. The log seems normal:
the log indeed looks normal, I have no idea why the ssid would not be visible to other devices sice iwconfig does not return failure either.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
I have been unable to get this to work. I do not have FMMS installed. Pretty sure I have titan's kernel installed. My other devices see the N900 and connect to it but internet does not work on them (although I seemed to have been able to get my Galaxy Tab to work- but peharps it was only going to pages stored in the cache memory).

When I run /usr/bin/mobilehotspot in xterminal I get the following:

ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.88:/com/nokia/icd2: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Unsupported interface or method