Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
This...looks more like it.
For those first 70+ tablets running SailfishOS and boxed in Jolla boxes, I agree. For those next 1000 tablets running Android, I disagree.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Article: Sailfish OS Lives To Fight Android Another Day As Jolla Secures Series C Funding

Edit:

The crowdfunded Jolla tablet is also being impacted by the funding crunch, with ongoing delays to shipments and most backers still waiting to receive their tablets. Saarnio said it’s now considering options on that front — including potentially canceling the tablet and refunding backers — now it has secured fresh financing.

“This is a quite challenging situation because it’s not linear what is the harm done on the tablet program,” he told TechCrunch. “It’s something that if you delay or stop working with your production partner for a couple of months it basically means that it’s difficult to [re]start the process as well.

“So we are now looking into different alternatives. One of them is to continue with the tablet production. One is refunding of the tablets… We are now working to find out what is the realistic way to serve our customers.”

Last edited by att; 2015-12-18 at 15:50.

Assuming the cost of the tablet, till last November, was ~4.2 M$ they "pre-sold" 12K units and raised funding ~2.8 M$. The loss at that point was ~1.4 M$ but meanwhile they have finished both sw and hw designs.

If they go for a refund that will cost them 2.8 M$, and they have to write off hw designs cost as a loss too.

On the other hand if they produce the tablets they have to pay manufacturing costs only which I think(?) it must be less than $220 per device at the moment, plus hw support costs.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
Assuming the cost of the tablet, till last November, was ~4.2 M$ they "pre-sold" 12K units and raised funding ~2.8 M$. The loss at that point was ~1.4 M$ but meanwhile they have finished both sw and hw designs.

If they go for a refund that will cost them 2.8 M$, and they have to write off hw designs cost as a loss too.

On the other hand if they produce the tablets they have to pay manufacturing costs only which I think(?) it must be less than $220 per device at the moment, plus hw support costs.
Well, it's hard to tell which option would be a clear winner. Unless I misunderstand the numbers, looks like refunding would be a little more costly to Jolla. While I would think that delivering tablets would initially generate more good will, the question would then be does Jolla want to put the effort to support it. I also find it a bit depressing that they plan to focus on Indian and Chinese and Russian markets, although I don't fault them if that is where the money is coming from.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
The evidence says that the manufacturing costs are currently below $180 per unit.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The evidence says that the manufacturing costs are currently below $180 per unit.
And I am pretty sure that still includes some margin (at least in the first run / try to get rid of them).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/upl..._FINAL2_63.pdf

”So far Jolla as a start-up has been solely carrying the high investment cost of the Sailfish operating system. It has been very challenging to finance this operation. We are now moving into a model where our partners in the BRICS countries, especially in Russia, India and China, will invest in the R&D of local market operations, while Jolla will focus more on the development of the core of Sailfish OS, producing Sailfish software releases, and supporting its licensees & app developers. Further licensing deals will be announced soon," Antti Saarnio continues.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No Deals allowed while tabletGate is going on!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by att View Post
"...soon," Antti Saarnio continues.
Not much changed, then

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Man, that's just embarrassing that you can actually buy the Jolla tablet for $180 lol

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund