2015 is my prediction of the year when it starts to become very significant - let's define significant to be that more than 50% of "the apps" would run with non-platform specific code. Of course there will always be the need to have "some" apps natively.

But who am I to predict.
Looking forward to that, 90% of apps today are essentially web site replacements. Its a stupid development.

So the OS will become more or less irrelevant in the future? Fine with me.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Looking forward to that, 90% of apps today are essentially web site replacements. Its a stupid development.

So the OS will become more or less irrelevant in the future? Fine with me.
No, it's certainly not irrelevant in the future. It is just as relevant as ever. It should actually create a more level playing ground where the best UX would win, not the one that has the largest existing developer ecosystem and/or even developer tools. In that way I would actually see even more flavours and UX fragmentation, on the level of the UI framework and the native apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Sorry. There is no law which prevents a company from sharing information with its employees. The reason for Chinese walls is to minimize the risk to the parties involved that the transaction will be put in jeopardy by an employee who says something they shouldn't.
But the way this was handled IS pretty standard corporate practice. It's what lawyers tell you you have to do. At least, it's also what they told us at Quarterdeck.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
But the way this was handled IS pretty standard corporate practice. It's what lawyers tell you you have to do. At least, it's also what they told us at Quarterdeck.
Yes, of course, you couldn't tell things like that beforehand to Nokia employees. It just wouldn't work.

Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
No, it's certainly not irrelevant in the future. It is just as relevant as ever. It should actually create a more level playing ground where the best UX would win, not the one that has the largest existing developer ecosystem and/or even developer tools. In that way I would actually see even more flavours and UX fragmentation, on the level of the UI framework and the native apps.
Well ok but the UX will be written in HTML5 etc. similar to WebOS.

Unfortunately MeeGo (or whatever its name) still has to catch up when it comes to native apps, if it should be a viable option in the future.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Yes, it is standard practice. But it's not imposed on companies by the SEC or any law.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Sorry. There is no law which prevents a company from sharing information with its employees. The reason for Chinese walls is to minimize the risk to the parties involved that the transaction will be put in jeopardy by an employee who says something they shouldn't.
Well you did understand the reasons and explained it pretty well. So there goes the reason why Elop did what he did the way he did it. Why take Quim to task for that.

Yes, it is standard practice. But it's not imposed on companies by the SEC or any law.
Of course there is no law, but its called mitigating risks. Explaining to the SEC in case of insider trading or other serious risks or being held accountable for the risks (and going to jail) make it not worthwhile not following the practice. I am not supporting the practice in any way, but there is a reason why it happens - just that.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I love the fact that the Maemo forums are still so active. Hey, don't worry about MeeGo because Maemo isn't even dead yet!

hi there,
i'll just leave this here:

http://www.msqt.org/

MSQt™ is an application and UI framework. Using MSQt™, you can write web-enabled applications once and deploy them across MS™ Windows®, MS™ Mobile® and MS™ Tablet® operating systems without rewriting the source code.
Well, WTF is all i know. Dunno.

Last edited by lopho; 2011-02-13 at 15:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to lopho For This Useful Post:

Tags
eflop, elop at a pole, tags gone awol