Active Topics

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Rochester, NY
My wife informed me that I would be getting a Nokia 770 (apparenlty Santa thinks I have been VERY good over the last year! - She also wanted to make sure she got all the right stuff). She was asking if there was anything peripherally rated, and I was thinking a RS-MMC of 1Gb would be good. Anyone have recommendations? I looked for some on line and it looks like you will have to order it (won't find it in CompUSA or places like that in Rochester, NY) - but the big question is: Which one? I saw some didn't support all Nokia products but they didn't sy anything about the 770?

Which brands have people been using?

THANKS! I am really really really excited!!
Te de aliis, quam alios de te suaviust fieri doctos

IF you patch the 770 up to the latest OS release it can use 2gb cards. I have and I know several other people on these forums have the Kingston 2gb card and it seems to work well.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
Originally Posted by Bromo33333
I was thinking a RS-MMC of 1Gb would be good. Anyone have recommendations? I looked for some on line and it looks like you will have to order it (won't find it in CompUSA or places like that in Rochester, NY) - but the big question is: Which one? I saw some didn't support all Nokia products but they didn't sy anything about the 770?
!
Congratulations! I got a Sandisk 1gig card from CDW for; I believe; around $30.00. I wish I would have waited and read a little more here. The card that comes with it is a dual voltage; two rows of contacts; and the Sandisk I have is single voltage. I believe it has to do with the speed not just power savings. I'm not a programmer so I probably don't notice the difference but now that I know If I buy another it will be a 2gig dual voltage and they are more expensive.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i got the sandisk 1GB card from compusa or circuit city via online/mail delivery. not too expensive, and plenty worth it. i have a swap file on there for additional virtual memory, and the rest holds maps for maemo mapper. i may move up to the 2GB card or wait till the rumors about the 8GB are confirmed or denied...
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

I believe that RS-MMC and MMCmobile are one in the same or at least both work with the Nokia 770. Can someone confirm or deny? My favorite place for this stuff is Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=68

Originally Posted by Bromo33333
My wife informed me that I would be getting a Nokia 770 (apparenlty Santa thinks I have been VERY good over the last year!

On a side note, have santa plug in the charger and make sure santa see's a dark screen with a small battery symbol in the center with the words "charging" on the screen at which point inform santa to keep it plugged in until fully charged before wrapping; usually a couple of hours.

I just had a brand new one come in and it had the white screen of death right out of the box; clearly something you don't want to see on Christmas day !

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
has there been any confirmation of the 8GB rs-mmc cards or should i stop holding my breath?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Get the mmcmobile if you want to flash hacked kernel with high speed mmc modes, kingston 2gb seems to work perfectly. Sandisk 1GB is plain RS-MMC and therefore cannot be made to run faster. I would avoid it and go for Kingston mmcmobile one (1 or 2 GB). Dual vs single voltage doesn't mater. AFAIK linux kernel in N770 doesn't support lower voltage for dual voltage cards.