Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
If I recall correctly, removable battery is one of the criteria for the Lauta revival (but then I suppose removable does not necessarily mean that it's easily accessed without a screwdriver).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
(Or that replacement batteries are available.)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
If you look under 'backers' on the indiegogo page , jolla bought one.
I can only guess it's a birthday present for Dave
I believe IGG takes ones email address and cuts it off starting at the @ when you're not logged in while ordering/backing.
Since I made an alias for all things Jolla on my personal domainname, that is probably me you're looking at...

And no I don't work at Jolla.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OliverN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Crow's Nest, Souvereignty of Faerie Fae
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
The way you separated those dots looks so wrong to me! Looks like Chen raised a whopping $127 and only had a goal of $50 I found this quite interesting - bet the differences have caused a few headaches when trading internationally!
Hi Feathers, the way I separated those digits by dots is purely intentional. In German: "Das gehört so!" ("This must be so" + "It's in no way to be changed" + "We have always done it like this" + "Why change?!? It has stood the test of time at least since the Middle Ages...!" and so on. All expressed in three words. Simply beautiful. No discussion allowed, ever.

See, I'm German and sometimes it shows... We Germans do as the Germans do. We like to have it nice + tidy, at least when it comes to big numbers. (other rules may have to be bent or worked around...) The "Punkt" (point) as we call it is to differentiate amounts in the thousands from sums below. I didn't even add the so-called "Nachkommastellen" (the 2 digits after the comma which differentiates between Euro and Eurocent amounts).

We're from The Continent so we would never use any systems from The ("British") Isles or from Turtle Island. We got our pride after all! So credit cards don't take off well with us as we have our own perfectly functioning European Direct Debit system. We would never use terms like 2k but we use 2.000 (amounts - with dot)/2000 (year - without the dot) /2Tsd (rather old-fashined but still understood) which is purrfectly clear to us.

Thx for that useful link. We Teutonics tend to get irritated if we read about a woman complaining about her small height of 5"2' - Ah what, for heaven' sake?!? 5x3 equals 15, 15x100 so 150cm i.e. 1m50 plus 2x3 equals 6 i.e. so she must be 1,56 m cute if I'm correct. I'd rather not calculate this every day, no, thanks dude! Not after I had my morning cup of ambition (coffee). For currencies, distances or time/date formats or time zones! (ConcertWindow/Patreon/YouTube live streams) we look it up in the net especially Canadian Dollars, Japanese Yen, Chinese Yuan, British Pounds; Indian Rupees... practically everything which seems twisted to us.

The Following User Says Thank You to indie carmayne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
Chen how easy or difficult would it be to make the back cover come off to replace the battery?

Samsung made a phone, a Galaxy not sure which model that had a removable rear cover for easy access to the battery.

Chen I would like to thank you for all of your work on making the tablet a reality.

https://www.droidmen.com/wp-content/...le-battery.jpg
The main issue is on the PCBA

If I had money to design from scratch, I will make it "removable battery friendly" and the follow up design is easy.

But now everything I can get uses built-in battery design - which solder the battery directly onto the board, which makes the difficulty I mentioned...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
dont mention the war!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by indie carmayne View Post
We're from The Continent so we would never use any systems from The ("British") Isles or from Turtle Island. We got our pride after all!
You sound like a bit of a crank there, give your head a shake and let go of the hate.

PS. In case you missed it Chen's profile shows he's based in Shanghai / London. *gasp* what if that' the London based in Turtle Island? Will you cancel your order?

Peace

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Thanks for Chen for doing this. I also did not have a need for tab but very happy to support this. May your business grow and eventually bring the killer hardware for the killer os

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
@chenliangchen
So you're using a existent pcba that already exists in some phones out there, for cost saving. Makes sense.
So the new Lauta is going to be a mid, high or low end ? Have you decided what OS will have ? If you go with mainstream android, how much of a trouble would be in terms of logistic, to sell a Sailfish version with official support (assuming that Jolla does the port) ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by indie carmayne View Post
Hi Feathers, the way I separated those digits by dots is purely intentional.
I know, just found it interesting!

height of 5"2' - Ah what, for heaven' sake?!? 5x3 equals 15, 15x100 so 150cm i.e. 1m50 plus 2x3 equals 6 i.e. so she must be 1,56 m cute if I'm correct.
Well that's a novel way of doing it!

I'm with you btw - I strongly dislike imperial units. They are very annoying in Civil engineering, especially when you have to do an assessment of some old 1930s reinforced concrete bridge and all you have to go on is a digital copy of a microfiche of an original paper drawing that was drawn by hand, with measurements in feet and inches and stupid reinforcement diameters like ¼, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, ½, 5/8, ¾, 7/8, 1 1/8, 1¼, 1 3/8, 1½. ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

Enough off topic

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os