Posts: 97 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Planet Earth
Originally Posted by albanc View Post
Delete empty jpeg files from /home/user/.thumbnails/fail/hildon-thumbnail/ and try again
This fixed my broken thumbnails !
Thanks.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
I have the same problem and none of the solutions here fixed my problem. I had installed some game from extras-devel and this added about 9000 pictures to my gallery.... i removed the game but now i have 9000 broken thumbnail images in my gallery and the lag is so huge it makes gallery completely useless. And everytime the indexer starts running it almost freezes the phone and runs for 7 to 15 minutes. the only way to make the phone usable again is to kill hildon-thumbnailerd wich is aggressivly thumbnailing non-exsisting pictures (thumbing its own ***)...
Have anyone come up with a working solution yet?

Originally Posted by janne.palo View Post
I have the same problem and none of the solutions here fixed my problem. I had installed some game from extras-devel and this added about 9000 pictures to my gallery.... i removed the game but now i have 9000 broken thumbnail images in my gallery and the lag is so huge it makes gallery completely useless. And everytime the indexer starts running it almost freezes the phone and runs for 7 to 15 minutes. the only way to make the phone usable again is to kill hildon-thumbnailerd wich is aggressivly thumbnailing non-exsisting pictures (thumbing its own ***)...
Have anyone come up with a working solution yet?
How many pictures do you have on your device?
If you delete everything in /home/user/.thumbnails/, it should only recreate thumbnails for images which are present.

Originally Posted by tho View Post
How many pictures do you have on your device?
If you delete everything in /home/user/.thumbnails/, it should only recreate thumbnails for images which are present.
I have like 50 pictures on my phone. I just removed everything from /.thumbnails/ then rebooted the phone and when i opened gallery it loaded for 5 minutes and then showed thousands of broken thumbnails as it did before... this is really weird...

Originally Posted by janne.palo View Post
I have like 50 pictures on my phone. I just removed everything from /.thumbnails/ then rebooted the phone and when i opened gallery it loaded for 5 minutes and then showed thousands of broken thumbnails as it did before... this is really weird...
What was the programs name, might there still be some leftover files after the removal?

Originally Posted by tho View Post
What was the programs name, might there still be some leftover files after the removal?
I Dont remember for sure. It was some rpg adventure from extras-devel. I just realized that my /home/user/ folder contains loads of folders from progs and games i have tried and since removed... Should i just start removing these folders or should i just ReFlash the whole device...

I also just found out that when i try to look at the info of the broken thumbnail it found none, but when i try to remove the file it shows the name of the file wich it also states to be read only. The broken thumbnails contain following filenames: mask-castle-w, character-box, scrollleft_transparent-pressed, resize-direction-right, sentinel-defend just to give few examples.. I think the filenames suggest that they indeed are leftowers from some game i have installed and then removed. But when i tried to search those files from my phone i found none.... i tried the teminals search funktion and also manyally searching those files from my folders. Could someone please tell me how to locate those files and remove the broken thumbnails..

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Manila, Philippines
This solved my problem:
Delete empty jpeg files from /home/user/.thumbnails/fail/hildon-thumbnail/ and try again

Open X Terminal:

1. Type "cd .thumbnails/fail/" (without quotation)
2. Type "rm -rf hildon-thumbnail" (without quotation)
2. Reboot your n900

Originally Posted by zhandro View Post
This solved my problem:

Open X Terminal:

1. Type "cd .thumbnails/fail/" (without quotation)
2. Type "rm -rf hildon-thumbnail" (without quotation)
2. Reboot your n900
I have tried that before... But i tried it again with no result. still thousands of broken thumbnails..

can you delete the broken thumbnails from the picture viewer?