Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the Jolla phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Jolla phone?

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Yeah, but I'm at the back of the queue. I get one from the second batch, after they've fixed the loose USB port.
LOL, I really hope they will include this in the first batch. Just as an injoke. We have so many welding tutorials, time to undust them and update (updating is good)

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
I will probably buy but I would like to see a few more hands on. Maybe browser and some android apps running.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
For the record, I will be buying it, my €100 pre-order has been placed already
Same here.

Current N9 user, via Communicator 9000, 9210, N810, N900. I do miss my hardware keyboard. Really hope someone offers a decent other half keyboard. Kickstarter anyone?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Can someone put a link to the announcement or specs? preferably on the first post?
EDIT: https://join.jolla.com/en
looks average.. no keyboard?

Rather then designing and manufacturing the 'other half' they could have add a freakin HWKB

Hate to say it, I told you so... cheap hardware, nokia price
I'll stick to my N900

Last edited by chemist; 2013-05-26 at 19:49. Reason: watch your language! and stay on topic

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
To me Sailfish seems to be another castrated Linux that has some custom libc with only "Linux APIs that make sense" (i.e. another Bionic).
If that is true then it is not for me, I rather stick to my N900 as a mobile Linux device and integrated communicator plus a current Android flagship as media consumption device.

The Following User Says Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
To me Sailfish seems to be another castrated Linux that has some custom libc with only "Linux APIs that make sense" (i.e. another Bionic).
If that is true then it is not for me, I rather stick to my N900 as a mobile Linux device and integrated communicator plus a current Android flagship as media consumption device.
Custom libc? Castrated linux? Not really sure what you mean. Care to elaborate? I was building pretty much everything found on the net on the device itself, never experienced the castration you mention (except OpenGL stuff, GLES is somewhat an option (oh boy, if Jolla had full OpenGL - screw HWKB rant, this would make for 100% linux desktop compatibility)).

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
what device are you referring to?
The other castrate i meant is Bionic/Android.

Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
Linux that has some custom libc with only "Linux APIs that make sense" (i.e. another Bionic).
Do you have a source? libc comes from Mer, not from Sailfish. Which is glibc. Pretty standard for the Linux world.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Jolla Boss said it will have "Linux APIs that make sense". Beats me now in which video exactly I saw it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hmmmmm....well...if you look at their N9 pedigree, then no. If these are the same people that had since before 2009 to deliver smooth N9 and couldn't why would we trust them now. I am willing to give them a chance if reviews from reasonable people are positive...but otherwise....they will sink that Jolla fast

Tags
fanboy, gy_wp_sy, jolla, jolla phone, theoclueless, theotool