Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the Jolla phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Jolla phone?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
What makes a phone alive? APPS

An alive phone has an app for everything and major software companies are making hundreds of apps for it.

When would we decide if the Jolla's phone is an alive phone and not a dead-end phone? when it has an app for *everything*. Official apps for twitter, facebook, instagram, whatsapp, vibe, line, etc. When there are thousand of (good) games available. When your banks are releasing online-banking apps for your phone, etc. That's an alive phone.

The N900 was dead a year after it was released and the N9 was dead even before its release. I don't buy phones every 18 months and I don't want to. I want my phone to last 5 years. Since smartphones came in I had a Palm Treo for around 5 years, then a Palm Centro for another 5 years, and now I have the N900 for the last 4 years and I will change it next year for something that will last another 5 years.
I beg to disagree on that. AFAIK most apps are irrelevant.
What a device needs is some basic applications like phone, SMS/MMS, web browser, email, camera, maps/navigation, in that order. These should all be user replaceable.
The real killer application is a console with access to the device internal functionality and set of scripting languages.

Who needs these thousands of applications, really?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What a device needs is some basic applications like phone, SMS/MMS, web browser, email, camera, maps/navigation, in that order. These should all be user replaceable.
The real killer application is a console with access to the device internal functionality and set of scripting languages.

Absolutely true. Just give me a proper fast web browser, so I won't need any stupid app for doing some task that can be perfectly done through a web page. About a month ago I read somewhere on TMO: "apps were invented for phones which can't really interact with the web properly" (read, iphones and androids).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela

I do not agree.

For instance I never use camera, maps or navigation. A camera phone in my opinion is just for documentation (like taking a picture to remember something you want to buy or a page of a user's manual), not for real photos.

Nobody is sending SMS/MMS anymore. The last time I received an MMS was in 2008. Proper IM apps are the most important thing a phone should have after making calls and before web browsing and email.

Sadly and I'm even ashamed to say this, a phone without at least GTalk, Skype and WhatsApp is already a dead phone.

Just look around you. When you see somebody using a phone is either typing a message or making/receiving a call. Also checking their Twitter and Facebook accounts (though they could do this through a web browser). They just browse the web when they are bored. I think I fire up my browser in the N900 once a week, and just because of boredom, but I'm typing messages all the time.

Jolla can't make a phone just for the geeks, because it's destined to fail. They need to make a phone appealing to everybody not only 50.000 hungry nerds. Otherwise the phone will be dead. This is a business.

I'm sure the numbers Jolla must be looking is that there are 500 million of iOS devices in the world turned on as we speak instead of ~60.000 N900/N9 turned on right now. This is BUSINESS not a device to make geeks happy.

Last edited by Scorpius; 2013-05-25 at 18:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
I do not agree.

For instance I never use camera, maps or navigation. A camera phone in my opinion is just for documentation (like taking a picture to remember something you want to buy or a page of a user's manual), not for real photos.

Nobody is sending SMS/MMS anymore. The last time I received an MMS was in 2008. Proper IM apps are the most important thing a phone should have after making calls and before web browsing and email.

Sadly and I'm even ashamed to say this, a phone without at least GTalk, Skype and WhatsApp is already a dead phone.

Just look around you. When you see somebody using a phone is either typing a message or making/receiving a call. Also checking their Twitter and Facebook accounts (though they could do this through a web browser). They just browse the web when they are bored. I think I fire up my browser in the N900 once a week, and just because of boredom, but I'm typing messages all the time.

Jolla can't make a phone just for the geeks, because it's destined to fail. They need to make a phone appealing to everybody not only 50.000 hungry nerds. Otherwise the phone will be dead. This is a business.

I'm sure the numbers Jolla must be looking is that there are 500 million of iOS devices in the world turned on as we speak instead of ~60.000 N900/N9 turned on right now. This is BUSINESS not a device to make geeks happy.
I think 497 million out of those 500 are either a fashion statement, or like "i went to the shop and a sales guy told me this phone is the best phone", or sort of "if i don't have iphone, my mates who have it will think that i am a looser and can't afford it" (so he sign himself up to 24 month contract with 50€ a month and paying 300 euro for the phone itself, just to do the same when a new "the best ever" hits the shelves), or kinda "i have ipod, so i must have imac and i phone, because those are syncing good between them, thus i won't need any brain to solve any possible trouble that might happen elsewhere", etc. Basically, these isheep would be happy with asha phones, if only those bear bitten apple logo and ridiculous price tag. I really mean it, what doesn't do asha that average isheep looks for in iphone?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

Yeah I hope Camera is one they fokus on. Light etc...
Also email, contacts and calendar is stuff should be fokus.

Zillion apps is just ridicilous and for kids who has no life and must test new apps 10 days/day the be coolest kid in town.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I do not agree.

I'm so sorry our preference differ.

I have never used GTalk, WhatsApp or Facebook. I do not even know what these really are. Skype I have used looooong time ago, on a computer.
I do not know what are your "proper IM apps", but I do use IRC from console

On the other hand, I do use camera fairly often when I need to take picture on something for later reference. For real photography, I use a SLR.

SMS'es I write several each day. MMS'es few a week. Same goes for email, few mails per day.
Browser is absolutely the most useful application, I'll fire it up few times per hour on any normal day.
Navigation, it's essential. Could not find my way around cities without it.
Ah, one I forgot, (but it's related to navigation), tracking my running distances on MeeTrainer.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
I really mean it, what doesn't do asha that average isheep looks for in iphone?
Well there's one thing missing from Ashas, and that's GPS.
I don't really know if iSheep use navigation, though

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Nobody is sending SMS/MMS anymore.
Really? Then I, all my family (dispersed across three countries) and pretty much everyone I know personally must be in the minority. With these people, I hardly ever exchange anything other than an SMS. By phone, that is

I've heard that it is different in the US, but in Europe texting (communicating via SMS) is very popular.

I would agree on MMS though. Never used it in my life. Nor have I ever used any other WAP feature.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
In this side of the planet it's like this:

Half of the mobile users have Androids, the other half have iPhones.

The iPhones users chat between them using FaceTime or iMessage.

Android users chat between them using GTalk.

To chat between platforms they use WhatsApp. Sometimes they even use WhatsApp to chat to another user with the same OS.

WhatsApp have more users than twitter right now:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/16/wha...essages-daily/

People using PCs chat through AIM or MSN. Since MSN died, they use Skype now.

SMS are for banks and bills now. If I receive an SMS is because I haven't paid something or because I did (I used my debit/credit card and then I receive an SMS about it). I rarely receive an SMS from a non-automated source.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
In this side of the planet it's like this:

Half of the mobile users have Androids, the other half have iPhones.

The iPhones users chat between them using FaceTime or iMessage.

Android users chat between them using GTalk.

To chat between platforms they use WhatsApp. Sometimes they even use WhatsApp to chat to another user with the same OS.

WhatsApp have more users than twitter right now:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/16/wha...essages-daily/

People using PCs chat through AIM or MSN. Since MSN died, they use Skype now.

SMS are for banks and bills now. If I receive an SMS is because I haven't paid something or because I did (I used my debit/credit card and then I receive an SMS about it). I rarely receive an SMS from a non-automated source.
this is true here ( but there is some % of nokia symbian/asha but android is the half ) and since whatsapp became mainstream nobody use sms anymore .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy, gy_wp_sy, jolla, jolla phone, theoclueless, theotool