Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the Jolla phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Jolla phone?

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Specs posted:
http://www.gsmarena.com/jolla_jolla-5457.php

I'm not in a pre-order country, but I think I'm in for one. Stereo speakers clinched it, even if there is no hardware keyboard. I hope MartinK is cooking up a version of Modrana to work on it.
Like mikecomputing said, GSMArena is shitty with their spec list. When device is released they just wanna get the phone on their list and fill it with 3rd party spec list and speculation.

Not to say they are wrong, but they are sourcing the information from the same places as we are. We likely here being a bit more on the Jolla pulse than they.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I beg to disagree on that. AFAIK most apps are irrelevant.
If you just want an Emacs-capable phone, right.

[/QUOTE]
What a device needs is some basic applications like phone, SMS/MMS, web browser, email, camera, maps/navigation, in that order.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

These should all be user replaceable.
Agreed.

The real killer application is a console with access to the device internal functionality and set of scripting languages.
Yeah, that will help you in every case - especially, if you want to do something common very quick. O. M . G. ... that's screaming hackjobs all over. Way to go if you just want some quick results; just develop some scripts while you are waiting for the bus.

Who needs these thousands of applications, really?
I do. We are a _very_ different target demographic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
this is true here ( but there is some % of nokia symbian/asha but android is the half ) and since whatsapp became mainstream nobody use sms anymore .
Nobody is quite a broad term. I honestly know 2 people who use whatsapp daily, rest have likely never even heard about these services on their 500-600 euros smartphones.

I'm sure the younger you are, more you see whatsapp and the likes used, but in my age group (~born 89) non of my friends or uni buddies communicate with whatsapp or similar. Let alone my uncles, parents etc that in the end are the ones truly spending money.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-05-25 at 22:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
What a device needs is some basic applications like phone, SMS/MMS, web browser, email, camera, maps/navigation, in that order.
Yes.

These should all be user replaceable.
Agreed.
I am happy we DO agree on at least this level
And let's hope that Jolla will carter to needs of both of us.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Nobody is quite a broad term. I honestly know 2 people who use whatsapp daily, rest have likely never even heard about these services on their 500-600 euros smartphones.

I'm sure the younger you are, more you see whatsapp and the likes used, but in my age group (~born 89) non of my friends or uni buddies communicate with whatsapp or similar. Let alone my uncles, parents etc that in the end are the ones truly spending money.
yes nobody is broad term but for around 80-90% less sms usage after whatsapp became mainstream(2011-2012 )b ( there is a number officialy released but it's off my memory ) and I'm born in 93 it's not that far from your age group and now even my uncles/aunts/ that group of age are starting to use whatsapp

The Following User Says Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I'm sure the younger you are, more you see whatsapp and the likes used
That must be it. I am 40+ and this thread was the first time I've even heard about whatsit. My SMS-using friends and family are similar dinosaurs.

It may also depend on your calling plan. Pretty much everyone I know is on PAYG (pay as you go = pre-paid). Nobody is on a monthly contract.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That must be it. I am 40+ and this thread was the first time I've even heard about whatsit. My SMS-using friends and family are similar dinosaurs.

It may also depend on your calling plan. Pretty much everyone I know is on PAYG (pay as you go = pre-paid). Nobody is on a monthly contract.
I was born in 1975 and that's not the case. Every one around me from my age use WhatsApp. Some older guys also use Blackberry Messenger but they still use WhatsApp.

SMS is not free. WhatsApp messages are free (or were free until recently). Data plan is way cheaper here than an SMS plan.

Maybe in Europe SMS is 100% free? WhatsApp became mainstream because it's kinda free (not anymore though).

Last edited by Scorpius; 2013-05-25 at 23:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
SMS is not free. WhatsApp messages are free (or were free until recently). Data plan is way cheaper here than an SMS plan.

Maybe in Europe SMS is 100% free? WhatsApp became mainstream because it's kinda free (not anymore though).
What are gonna do should Whatsapp guys shut down their service and servers and fly to Bahamas?
Because that's one big issue with the app-ified vision: when you switch from industry/open standards to proprietary applications and protocols, you rely your connectivity to a single private company.

Besides, here in Europe some operators are indeed offering packages with a certain amount of 'free SMS' per month.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
What are gonna do should Whatsapp guys shut down their service and servers and fly to Bahamas?
Because that's one big issue with the app-ified vision: when you switch from industry/open standards to proprietary applications and protocols, you rely your connectivity to a single private company.

Besides, here in Europe some operators are indeed offering packages with a certain amount of 'free SMS' per month.
What people do? Move to another FREE (not necessary OpenSource) solution, like Vibe, Line, etc. In less than a week the whole world would be chatting using something else. It has happened before: how do you think the whole world moved TO WhatsApp in the first place?

People don't care about OpenSource things. If it's free it's ok. Most people don't really understand about OpenSource or propietary protocol. They just care if it's free or if they have to pay for it.

Actually you'll see it again: WhatsApp is charging for their service, so it's destined to fail. I don't think they will survive another year.

Last edited by Scorpius; 2013-05-26 at 06:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
I'll more than likely invest in one. Although I'm a little apprehensive about the snap-on covers. Will we be carrying dozens of little plastic covers when we are out and about?
They've already announced their first design change in that the production run will have a smaller bezel. They've kept the screen size, so it means a slightly smaller case.

Last edited by stickymick; 2013-05-26 at 08:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy, gy_wp_sy, jolla, jolla phone, theoclueless, theotool