Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the Jolla phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Jolla phone?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
SMS is not free. WhatsApp messages are free (or were free until recently). Data plan is way cheaper here than an SMS plan.
in other words, it goes from your data plan AND requires your other party also have a smartphone, a data plan and a whatsit account.

On the other hand, SMS
  • is on every phone since about 1980
  • requires nothing but a phone number
  • does not require being logged on, only a phone switched on
  • is free to receive
  • is ridiculously cheap or free to send even on some PAYG packages

I am on PAYG and top up by £5 about every 2-3 moths. That's because I hardly ever use the phone for calling, I use it almost exclusively for texting. I have 5 SMS free a day (a plan sadly no longer offered by my provider, but still honoured for customers who have it), so the only times using my phone costs me anything at all is when I exceed my 5 SMS allowance (rarely) or when I text my family abroad (international SMS are not included).

I do occasionally use Skype on my N900 but only when I am within a WiFi area and quite often after a prior prompt ("hey, get on Skype") by - you've guessed it - SMS!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Bought it out of curiosity about the OS.

On 23rd of May I have already purchased myself into the tribe with only 100Euro. 2nd half still included.

If Jolla wants to make me consider giving up the Nokia 808 as main phone before half of 2016 in favor of a Jolla device they may want to include:

-full and completely integrated core support of open communication protocols: SIP, XMPP (Jabber like on N900), ....

My N900 lacks reliability talking to secured Jabber accounts running via Jitsi.org on desktops.
I also don't want an app like Jitsi on my phone later. I want integration.

-hardware keyboard 2nd half to make use of full display space
-real web browser (Firefox will do - I need Noscript / Adblock etc)
-a decent camera software that gets the best out of the most likely very generic integrated camera hardware
-a decent camera 2nd half upgrade with large sensor, battery pack.

I don't expect the glory days of 2009-2010 to return when few people in my office would imagine and suspect me to be responding all that communication (email, skype, telephone) from one single device when actually sitting in a restaurant, cafe or even along the road.

Nowadays such possibilities have become more widely known to the public carrying tablets and 3G internet and it gives away the cloak of roaming freedom the N900 could provide back then.

But yet, given updated core software, speedy hardware and the same resistive display tech, no pocketable device could be as productive as an N900.

It doesn't seem to be allowed to exist and seen how different the N9 was from the N900, I am not going to expect it from Jolla.
I just hope they don't wast too much resources on the Facebook and such at the cost of the real hardcore voip integration.

good luck Jolla.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2013-05-26 at 08:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
I don't wanna sound like a whatsapp defender but a litlle stat . From my 111 contacts i have in phone 88 have whatsapp . And you can easily remove 10 numbers from those 111 because they are landline phones .
We have plans that got 300 sms per month and the users are telling that they rarely consume 60-70% of the sms .
But hey this is off topic

The Following User Says Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
They just care if it's free or if they have to pay for it.
And why would you agree with this and help them to keep up this mentality?

Whatsap, Viber, whatsnot... business is based on leeching user contact data and statistics.

A couple of months people tried to push me into Viber for their convenience of running around with iPhones, but when I checked what the little cute program does in the first stage of the setup, like sending all my contact details to some company in Israel I concluded that even if they would be paying me to use their service I would need time to consider!
Worst Viber is on Symbian where you just get to give up all your contacts in trade for a lousy text chat service. Just to be able to join the TRIBE. Shameless.

Why people whon easily pay xxx for smartphones, capable of running all these apps concurrently, need to depend on these so called free services?

What are they afraid to miss out on?

Will you drive a car with camera's installed in exchange for free petrol?

If you say yes, because "I am a model driver / citizen with nothing to hide": you should still consider that there are other people that like to use the road too, who wouldn't appreciate your filming. There are even laws against that activity in most countries.

And so are there privacy laws. However the "free mobile services" like to run circles around those laws because most people fail to connect the dots and the stakes are high.
The messenger companies have the possibility to irreversibly grab your sometimes decades old contact database with real names in an instant,
Eventually pay a fine later most probably much lower a fine than the true data value harvested.

I used to require Skype on my mobile but now that Skype is MS, the game has chanced.
They can now link my Bing searches to my identity and credit card info, OS used and conversations, navigation data and what else.

So, start paying me already MS! My Skype credit should be growing every minute I am running around with Skype open on my Lumia! Peopel with nothing to hide could mine Skype credit whit that action to spend in the MS App shop.

I don't ask a ban on those free, fun and basically effcient communication services.

But let's not promote them as the standards we require on a mobile phone.

Don't serve them (the messener marketing BB companies) what they are after on a silver (or alu alloy glass) plate.

Search for open source alternatives, secure and free and demand Linux OS developpors on any platform to implement those with priority.

Statistics: I have 100 contacts on Skype for business. Even including some that started to use Skype on my demand for my convenience.

In the weekend I have 6 friends on Jitsi.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2013-05-26 at 10:23.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
I don't wanna sound like a whatsapp defender but a litlle stat . From my 111 contacts i have in phone 88 have whatsapp . And you can easily remove 10 numbers from those 111 because they are landline phones .
We have plans that got 300 sms per month and the users are telling that they rarely consume 60-70% of the sms .
But hey this is off topic
If they shall support whatsapp it should be integrate in core platform using libtelepathy like the rest of its communication protocols.

But I doubt it will happen Whatsapp is closed crap and probadly not used in China? But it would be really stupidness to have a seperate app for "instantmessageing" when Mer has good framework like telepathy for such stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
I do not agree.

Jolla can't make a phone just for the geeks, because it's destined to fail. They need to make a phone appealing to everybody not only 50.000 hungry nerds. Otherwise the phone will be dead. This is a business.
Wrong! Why do you think the masses will choose Jolla when there are cheaper devices with better specs, more apps, better known brand names, better looking and from more stable companies (better for warranty)? Devices they can buy on every corner with contract and subsidized price? Yes these thing are important for regular people because they are not geeks. They don't care about open source, having terminal and all that.
THEY don't have a reason to buy Jolla over any other phone.
Jolla should appeal first and first most to geeks. Device we want is not on market, there is no Linux box phone on market like N900. This market is big enough to keep them going in the beginning, together with the some of the regular people who are willing to buy new different devices.

If they appeal to regular people and there is no reason to buy their phone for geeks, they will have a hard time surviving.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
I... I really mean it, what doesn't do asha that average isheep looks for in iphone?
A lot! You should try one sometime. For people who want to get something done it is the best go-to phone. Everything that regular people want, can be done by the iPhone. That is why they sell so many.
No it is not open source and does not run Linux.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Wrong! Why do you think the masses will choose Jolla when there are cheaper devices with better specs, more apps, better known brand names, better looking and from more stable companies (better for warranty)? Devices they can buy on every corner with contract and subsidized price? Yes these thing are important for regular people because they are not geeks. They don't care about open source, having terminal and all that.
THEY don't have a reason to buy Jolla over any other phone.
Jolla should appeal first and first most to geeks. Device we want is not on market, there is no Linux box phone on market like N900. This market is big enough to keep them going in the beginning, together with the some of the regular people who are willing to buy new different devices.

If they appeal to regular people and there is no reason to buy their phone for geeks, they will have a hard time surviving.
Wrong Jolla's focus is China market. That's way bigger than some geeks on TMO. And China is intrested in Jolla because they have not yet been brainwashed by Android/Iphone hype as european, USA has.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
So why is then is Android so big there? They have GS4 like phones for less than a third the price of GS4.
The thing with China is that they are still growing very hard. So if Jolla takes a small piece, that could be enough or them. In developed countries their only hope is geeks. That was what I meant.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
So why is then is Android so big there? They have GS4 like phones for less than a third the price of GS4.
The thing with China is that they are still growing very hard. So if Jolla takes a small piece, that could be enough or them. In developed countries their only hope is geeks. That was what I meant.
They are not aiming at geeks. They are aiming to the general public AND geeks. Targetting a product to only geeks means only one word: bankrupcy. They know that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy, gy_wp_sy, jolla, jolla phone, theoclueless, theotool