Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Oh I missed the bold. No idea if any one needs but at least I don't want nor need it.
Exactly. IMHO windows had its day but that's looong gone now. No need to go digging up graves I think.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Any of those have a more legitimate use and a more pressing need for running an x86 application on an ARM machine than you have for running a Linux on... just about anything
Yes, this last sentence actually hits it right in the mark;
I have choices, actually I don't need linux that bad, I could as well use netbsd instead. With no difference really and no degradation of ux. It's just matter of preference I usually use linux.
I have choices but those poor windoze-ridden folks dont. Really, it's a pity...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Exactly. IMHO windows had its day but that's looong gone now. No need to go digging up graves I think.
Ironic that this is a website still dedicated to a dead OS or two centered around an ancient device that's being resurrected slowly from its grave, Frankenstein style.

The want and need may not appeal to folks here. But Windows is in place within most corporations, and when the Nexus 5 could display desktop Linux, it was applauded here for the most part (I will admit being enthusiastic at least) and yet this is shunned?

We're a niche within a niche here. These types of discussions makes that all more apparent to me.

Who needs this? Mostly nobody here. Who wants this? Whomever Microsoft markets this to... or something like that. Will any of you buy it? Not willingly unless your company requires it. And I think most of you don't have jobs that require Windows whatsoever.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh to clarify, my tone shouldn't be taken as condescending. Heck, I'm here too!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nobody needs half this nonsense, but it'd be nice sometimes.
I've been using the N900 Mail for Exchange to sync my email and calendar to live.com and then outlook.com for like 6 years. For somereason I'm getting an error about an invalid certificate today. I don't need to get Mail for Exchange working, I can do everything I need with a web browser, but I like the interface. It's nice to use.
Just as it'd be nice to use Microsoft products on this pc.

I know, off topic, but I wanted to vent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
The reason this is useful is it helps stimulate the computer industry which realistically is stagnant. The biggest barrier to ARM based computers is realistically software. Windows on ARM makes ARM based computers more viable which is useful even if you don't use Windows. I am sure someone will figure out how to run Linux on these devices. The designs in question could be adapted to Linux use or at the very least Chrome os use. Even if you don't use Windows this is still good.

Having millions of computers be dependent upon components produced by only two companies (Intel and AMD) will stagnate the industry. If either company went bust (not likely, but maybe) it would become difficult to manufacture computers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ironic that this is a website still dedicated to a dead OS or two centered around an ancient device that's being resurrected slowly from its grave, Frankenstein style.

The want and need may not appeal to folks here. But Windows is in place within most corporations, and when the Nexus 5 could display desktop Linux, it was applauded here for the most part (I will admit being enthusiastic at least) and yet this is shunned?

We're a niche within a niche here. These types of discussions makes that all more apparent to me.

Who needs this? Mostly nobody here. Who wants this? Whomever Microsoft markets this to... or something like that. Will any of you buy it? Not willingly unless your company requires it. And I think most of you don't have jobs that require Windows whatsoever.
To be honest I would buy an ARM based Windows device if it was a small Tablet. I want a portable device that runs a full os. If Windows is the best choice for a full os, than so be it. There really isn't that many good choices for Linux tablets.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
I would choose a full windows os over Android if there was a choice. I think android is trying to achieve the functionality of a "full Os"with the new features in nougat but it certainly lacks behind when it comes to
full windows vs Android. I am sure pc and notebook business will notice a small dip in business when arm comes with full fledged windows Os.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
I think for portability a small tablet is better than a laptop. A laptop is bad at being portable due to the size and weight and a laptop isn't good at being workstation. Laptops lack the performance that even a low end desktop offers. Most people use laptops for lightweight tasks and in reality a tablet is superior for lightweignt tasks.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I think for portability a small tablet is better than a laptop. A laptop is bad at being portable due to the size and weight and a laptop isn't good at being workstation. Laptops lack the performance that even a low end desktop offers. Most people use laptops for lightweight tasks and in reality a tablet is superior for lightweignt tasks.
The large tablet form suits some uses pretty well. E.g. My wife just got the 12 inch ipad for her medical practice, and it's much superior to a laptop for carrying along to exam rooms to use as a folder of paper charts would have been 10 years ago. (We're dragging the medical profession kicking and screaming into the 20th century.) The tablet form is much better suited to this usage than a laptop or even the hybrid (the nice word) device sometimes called a 'convertible tablet'. And it's way better than a 'COW' (computer on wheels) which is what it sounds like: a battery powered desktop PC on a rolling cart.

Being able to run full desktop s/w on a tablet would be useful in this example for the occasions when she needs to access the more advanced features of the medical software not present in the tablet version. The current solutuon is running a windows remote desktop on the ipad (!) with the medical management running on a server somewhere in the cloud/farm/whatever. Right now, the only tablet that supoorts this functuonality is the 12" iPad Pro. If an android tablet were available that could run windows software, it might be a more cost-effective solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: