Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have some contacts in facebook that I would like to chat with, but I don't want to import all my Facebook contacts to the N9 (I suppose that option 'all Facebook contacts' does that). I modified the respective contact to have the same email with that he has on fb, but it doesn't get connected. Do you have a suggestion?

Basically I don't know if I described it correctly so I'll try again. In the accounts app, it says chat&contacts and 'only friends in contacts' s selected. How does it recognize which friends I have in contacts?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I have some contacts in facebook that I would like to chat with, but I don't want to import all my Facebook contacts to the N9 (I suppose that option 'all Facebook contacts' does that). I modified the respective contact to have the same email with that he has on fb, but it doesn't get connected. Do you have a suggestion?

Basically I don't know if I described it correctly so I'll try again. In the accounts app, it says chat&contacts and 'only friends in contacts' s selected. How does it recognize which friends I have in contacts?
In FAM there's an app called, feedservice-plugin-fb, after install you'll see at your contacts by manage and add fields a facebook option, perhaps if you're online and available it's possible to chat through facebook chat, haven't tried-it yet, so....

N9 IC sorry...
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

Last edited by peter2p; 2011-11-25 at 23:35.

Yeah, should have mentioned it, the subforum a post is posted in, isn't visible enough

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ynnad179 View Post
I went to the Facebook app, set it to display all Facebook contacts (the second option) then proceeded to merge the normal contacts with the Facebook contacts...

After that I went back to the app and set it to display contacts only (the first option). Works well for me, but could be a hassle depending on how many contacts you have and need to merge.
can confirm this, i used the same method to merge facebook contacts with phone contacts. should be easier to just add an option to every contact: 'add facebook profile' or something like that, and then browse to that profile, tap 'add', done.

Originally Posted by ynnad179 View Post
I went to the Facebook app, set it to display all Facebook contacts (the second option) then proceeded to merge the normal contacts with the Facebook contacts...

After that I went back to the app and set it to display contacts only (the first option). Works well for me, but could be a hassle depending on how many contacts you have and need to merge.

Wonder why the app doesn't autodetect and automerge contacts with the same emails.
Actually it does auto-merge, but it doesn't do it very well... On my N9 it auto-merged 17 contacts I think, one of them was wrong, and I manually merged all the others. Took a looooong time, but once you've done it, you don't have to do it again :P

So what is the point of the first option? I don't want to import all my fb contacts to the phone. I just want to link a specific contact to a contact already existing on my phone. Too much effort for just one contact, there must be another way

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Not an answer....
But I vaguely recall this being discussed to-some-extent in this thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79023
Maybe abustany (Nokia dev for this area) can clear some things up?

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Hm, I realize it found and merged some of my contacts (probably by name). I also managed to open the hidden facebook contact (opened it by id through d-bus) and tried to merge it with the one I wanted. Nothing happened.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
did abustany give you a clear cut answer or does he need to look into it more 1st?

I fear nobody noticed my post in that thread...