Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
Just one detail that I -- and others -- overlooked:

Einstein ... uses the actual code from a Newton MessagePad 2X00 ROM.

This means that... a user must also own a Newton MessagePad with its ROM.

But don't fret, Newtons are cheap -- for the moment...
I went straight to eBay and looked -- the current bids were in the $125 - $150 range.

I wish "cheap" meant $10-$15. :-)

Hey, if you had a dead Newton, could the ROM still be read? Maybe non-working Newtons cost less.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Trieste - Italy
Hey, it seems that my posting of this photo was almost profetical... :-D ;-)
http://www.internettablettalk.com/ga...oto/57/cat/504

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Philly
Originally Posted by RogerS
Hey, if you had a dead Newton, could the ROM still be read? Maybe non-working Newtons cost less.

yes, you can use a dead newton! You just need to legally own the chip that has the rom.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
But how are you going to extract the files from the ROM of a non-working Newton? I know for a fact that Paul Guyot will not provide ROM-files to anyone, as Apple is following the Einstein project with argus eyes to prevent copyright infringement.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I wonder what the point is of suppressing further development of software Apple dropped as much as the hardware they produced to run it. It'd be like Sierra sending the SPA in to raid a kid who downloaded King's Quest 1. You figure they wouldn't make it public domain by now... or at least let people use the ROM for emulation purposes with a strict EULA.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
I wonder what the point is of suppressing further development of software Apple dropped as much as the hardware they produced to run it. It'd be like Sierra sending the SPA in to raid a kid who downloaded King's Quest 1. You figure they wouldn't make it public domain by now... or at least let people use the ROM for emulation purposes with a strict EULA.
Steve Jobs is the spawn of Satan, of course, but there's hardly anything that can be done: after all, this is the same man who killed the Newton platform (allegedly) purely out of spite.

@ desktop:

This reminds me of the Atari ST days. A Mac emulator called MagicSac that turned an ST into a Mac. You needed the *physical* ROMs for that -- to plug them into the hardware!

Since this only requires the code, I wouldn't go nuts driving up used Newt prices. This stuff will show up on P2P.

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
@ desktop:

Since this only requires the code, I wouldn't go nuts driving up used Newt prices. This stuff will show up on P2P.
... and that would kill the project almost immediately. It wouldn't even take Apple: Paul Guyot has vouchsafed that he will pull the plug on his code the moment someone warez a MessagePad ROM.

There's no need to go into a buying frenzie anyhow: Einstein is far from usable at the moment and besides, there's even no guarantee that the ROMs will remain necessary in the future.

A few years ago, someone started a cleanroom reverse-engineering project of the NewtonOS. It never got past alpha-stage, but the sources are still out there. So who knows? With the fresh knowledge of Einstein and Relativity it might very well be that this Newton clone is the way forward.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by Mike Cane
@ desktop:This reminds me of the Atari ST days. A Mac emulator called MagicSac that turned an ST into a Mac. You needed the *physical* ROMs for that -- to plug them into the hardware!
I was there. I met Dave Small (Littleton, CO) several times at Atari shows, and once when I paid his airfare to my office in '95. Late in the 80's I watched him insert a floppy drive into the Atari and turn it into a Macintosh. Think about that. Everything that made the Macintosh what it was was reduced to some code on a floppy. The Atari ST & Macintosh were both 68000 'puters, and so was the Amiga. The Atari ST was color, though from Day 1 while the Macintosh was still a black & white computer.

The illusion that the Apple Chips were necessary was a go-around to prevent him from being prosecuted by Apple for copying their intellectual property. That's all that it was. The Atari ST hardware, unmodified, was as good, or better, at being a Macintosh than Apple's own hardware was and the difference was nothing more than a couple of hundred K of code on a floppy. This was not entirely either a coincidence or 100% genius on Dave's part because Motorola published a reference design on how to build a computer with the 68000 that all these companies followed. That's how Motorola achieved these design wins for its 68000 CPU. At the time the Intel CPU was the infamous 'brain dead' 286. You had to be there.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Philly
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
But how are you going to extract the files from the ROM of a non-working Newton? I know for a fact that Paul Guyot will not provide ROM-files to anyone, as Apple is following the Einstein project with argus eyes to prevent copyright infringement.
MMM interesting point.

The bottom line is this: if you really want to use a newton, you'll buy one for the roms. If you are just a collector and would look for pirated roms and boot it twice, you may be out of luck.