yes multiboot is bad sw which damaging nand memory. kp52 does not support multiboot.

Originally Posted by badazimer View Post
Hello!
Have problem with booting. May be it connected with new CSSU, may be with KP:
If I starting device from power-button - i see white screen Nokia & after that - device shutdown. This repeated 1-5 time & after that device started normal.
Alarm not worked when device were shut down.
Writed about this bug in testing forum. And I’m not alone.
Help me, please?

Use kp52(without multiboot) + CSSU-testing 8.2. + thumb1(installed it yesterday - problem didn’t dissapear)
Belive that multiboot did not HW damaged your phone. Do full reflash and never install multiboot again.

so i removed multiboot, installed u-boot and the power kernel but where did nitdroid disappear?!!

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Ukraine
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Belive that multiboot did not HW damaged your phone. Do full reflash and never install multiboot again.
I am not install multiboot kernel, only original kp52

Originally Posted by pali View Post
yes multiboot is bad sw which damaging nand memory.
Hey, stop repeating that. Following this logic, flasher-3.5 is "bad software damaging nand memory", too.

multiboot idea is to transparently flash new kernel, everytime you choose to do so from start-up menu - saving you need to use flasher-3.5 for all such cases, allowing to do so on the go, etc.

It wears NAND *equally* the same as using flasher3.5 by hand, for every kernel change, and honestly, there are 0 (zero) reports, of anyone hitting NAND wear limits by using either flasher-3.5, or multiboot.

Of course, u-boot is *much* better idea and way of achieving running different kernels - but it is not good enough reason to depreciate multiboot, which was present and used *much* longer before u-boot got available for our device.

/Estel

// Edit
Don't take personal offence (Pali) - it's just that it's 4th or 5th time I see you repeating mantra about "multiboot being bad software damaging NAND", so decided to give a matter at least little just.

Again, u-boot is much better way and I'm eternally grateful to you, for bringing it to us. You've also made a "tactical" step to drop multiboot support from kernel-power (which could support multiboot *and* u-boot flawlessly, from technical point of view) in favor of U-boot, to pro-actively encourage people to switch into U-boot.

Good decision and thinking - u-boot is better. But, it isn't fair to religiously depreciate multiboot (and by extension, it's creators), as "bad software". It was as good software as we could have for that purpose (faster, on-the-go flashing of different kernel) for the time, until better solutions arrived - nothing more, nothing less.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey pali,
I think I need to second that.
Multiboot is as bad as flasher, yes.

I also still have it on device, but do use your u-boot (BIG thanks).
I knew about its "problem" from very first time I flashed kernel with it. And did so only occasionally.

So could you elaborate on this (we all know of flash, NAND, lifecycle) or do you have any other reasons?

For sure the non-support in kp52 package is your (good) decision and absolutely understandable/accepted.
At least for those daily Nitdroid/Maemo switchers.

I also like to thank you again and never ever want to offend you.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
the next release could the devs unlock kernels's overclocking limit to 1,3 ghz ,for those who can achieve this?
CSSU-T latest version

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-07-25 at 00:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
the next release could the devs unlock kernels's overclocking limit to 1,3 ghz,for those who can achieve this?
Now that's a good way to damage your phone.

we need a step by step tutorial to install u-boot with nitdroid, or else we would ask pali to make kernel power compatible with multiboot
life without kernel power and nitdroid is hard

The Following User Says Thank You to x_mony For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by x_mony View Post
we need a step by step tutorial to install u-boot with nitdroid, or else we would ask pali to make kernel power compatible with multiboot
life without kernel power and nitdroid is hard
And here you go:
HTML Code:
Topic: U-boot and Nitdroid for n900 [Camera fixed, Network Working!!!]  (Read 53793 times)
Offline vakkov

* NITDroid user
          o View Profile
          o Personal Message (Offline)

U-boot and Nitdroid for n900 [Camera fixed, Network Working!!!]
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:24:56 pm »

Ok this is a short guide for more andvanced users:
1. Download Nitdroid 2.3.4 N12_Umay and install it on ext3/ext4 partition (mmcblk1p2) - for ext4 kernel support use the second link!
2. Your first sd card partition should be FAT (for ext2/ext3 and etc will explain tomorrow)
3. Install U-boot by Pali - [url]http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613[/url]
4. Download nitdroid rc7 kernel and extract the file - then go to /system/lib/modules/2.6.28.NIT.07/  and copy all the files to  /system/lib/modules/current in NITDROID partition (mmcblk1p2)
4.1. Replace init.nokia.rc with mine
5. Now download boot.scr from attachments and copy it to the first partition (FAT)
6. Dowload uImage and copy it to the same place as boot.scr
7. Insert sd card in n900 and power on with opened keeyboard
8. Stop u-boot counting and enter U-boot console
9. Write - run sdboot... and watch booting

Bluetooth, Wi-fi, charging, hardware acceleration, lights and other things NOW working!!!  Just replace init_subsys in /system/maemo/bin

P.S. If using boot.scr from the archive below it will stop for 10 seconds to wait for rootfs to be mounted! If these steps are not convenient for you read the text below to find out how to configure your own boot.scr

Credits: E-yes (For help and Nitdroid), Pali (for help and U-boot), Marex_ (at #u-boot at freenode) for help and Vakkov for making it possible. and everybody else who i have forgot about.

FILES: [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?lu5hq6rinitce5e[/url]
Kernel only(with ext4 support): [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?0v7ed0jzp6zcqb0[/url]

- I want to boot Nitdroid from a partition different from mmcblk1p2 (second partiton of sd card). How to do it?
- Here is how to:
nit.src is the "source" file of boot.src. You can open it with a text editor and see its contents
Change "root=/dev/mmcblk1p2" to your desired partition (where Nitdroid is stored) - for example /dev/mmcblk0p2 (that's eMMC).
rootdelay=10 is the time in seconds to wait for the rootfs to be mounted before continuing with loading the kernel. You can set it to 1 if you want or you can replace the whole rootdelay parameter with rootwait (it will wait for the file system to mount and then continue). FOR EXT4 USE THE KERNEL FROM THE SECOND LINK!

- I want to place the kernel (uImage) wherever I want. How to do it?
Go on the second line of nit.scr (starts with setenv bootcmd) i Used fatload mmc 1:1 This means it will search for the uImage at the first partition of the sd card and that partition has to be a FAT one.
The format of this can be:
Code: [Select]
fatload mmc <device>:<partition number> 0x82000000 <filepath/file>
ext2load mmc <device>:<partition number> 0x82000000 <filepath/file>So if you want to use an ext2/ext3 partition to store the kernel use ext2load (yes, it's also loading ext3)

Generating boot.scr
When you finish editing nit.scr to your desired settings save it and run in terminal:
Code: [Select]
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n "NITDroid" -d nit.scr boot.scrThis will generate a valid boot.scr which you have to copy to the FIRST partition of sd card or to boot.scr

New init.nokia.rc and camd - Camera FIXED! Works on N12_UMay (2.3.4) with 2.3.7 camera libs, should also work on 2.3.7
P.s. Replace camd in system/maemo/bin (where init_subsys is stored)

Soon - bootmenu guide!
* nit.scr (0.26 kB - downloaded 1501 times.)
* init_subsys (1.95 kB - downloaded 1672 times.)
* init.nokia.rc (7.86 kB - downloaded 1548 times.)
* camd (0.21 kB - downloaded 1535 times.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:23:22 pm by vakkov »
http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=73

Sorry pali for derailing ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
kernel, kernel-power, kernel-power52