Active Topics

Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
I don't know if this is possible but what would be interesting for the forum is to let anybody access it and read the posts (even when they use a spammer's ip) but block them from signing in or creating an account.

I for example use a proxy at work to just read the posts (I don't sign in), but just to stay up to date, and because of this restriction I can't any more (or I use a php proxy in addition to the web proxy to get access) and it's annoying. I have to use a proxy at work, otherwise a lot of accesses to the Internet are blocked by the company I work at (but strangely the access to some open proxys are not).
In some places this could get you fired.
Ive been a few places like that.

Well, if they start firing because of this I think they will start with those who are really bandwidth consuming, like those who check Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook (videos) etc (also through a web proxy, cause all blocked) than with me who just visit some forums and blogs without a lot of media... and until now I haven't heard of anybody getting fired because they use web proxies and as I said some of them are really using a lot of bandwidth (all day video streaming).

I think that for now I am not in danger, but I would like to continue checking the forum from web proxies without being blocked... and be blocked only for sign in or sign up when connecting with a spammers ip.

Well, if they start firing because of this I think they will start with those who are really bandwidth consuming, like those who check Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook (videos) etc (also through a web proxy, cause all blocked) than with me who just visit some forums and blogs without a lot of media... and until now I haven't heard of anybody getting fired because they use web proxies and as I said some of them are really using a lot of bandwidth (all day video streaming).

I think that for now I am not in danger, but I would like to continue checking the forum from web proxies without being blocked... and be blocked only for sign in or sign up when connecting with a spammers ip.
Og course

However, the reasoning for those measures are security, not bandwith (at least where I have been)

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Og course

However, the reasoning for those measures are security, not bandwith (at least where I have been)
True, but I expect the first to be "caught" to be the ones that are consuming bandwidth as the IT department is kind of monitoring it. At least those who have a lot of connections through web proxies (which is not my case, as I check only a few blogs and forums).

And also I don't think that they will fire anyone without at least getting a warning first, so until someone gets a warning it is "kind of" safe...

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
True, but I expect the first to be "caught" to be the ones that are consuming bandwidth as the IT department is kind of monitoring it. At least those who have a lot of connections through web proxies (which is not my case, as I check only a few blogs and forums).
If I were to leak some confidential info, I do not think I would want to attract attention by using a lot of bandwidth
The point is, if your IT catches only those then they are not doing a very good job.

Having said all that, firing works both ways. A company imposing such draconian environment does not deserve me as an employee.

And also I don't think that they will fire anyone without at least getting a warning first, so until someone gets a warning it is "kind of" safe...
All (mostly) true. But, like I said, I have been working a few places where stuff like that would get you fired.
Anyways, off topic LOL.

OT: please, do enable using tor. I think blocking tor is bad practise, and laziness from finding other solutions.

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020

Are you bypassing security rules while a IT department is monitoring the network traffic? Why don't use your smartphone to visit websites via proxy? On your private cellphone you can't be fired 2 times.

Last edited by jellyroll; 2015-10-11 at 18:32.

Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
Are you bypassing security rules while a IT department is monitoring the network traffic? Why don't use your smartphone to visit websites via proxy? On your private cellphone you can't be fired 2 times.
I have signal problems in my work place and often 3G doesn't work... not to mention that using a PC is much faster than the N900

It's not the fact that I'm bypassing security rules... those rules weren't implemented for security, rather so that we work and not waist time on the Internet and also for bandwidth saving (as the connection costs them per MB/s used) ... if the IT department would really want they would have forbidden any access to proxies.

And it's not like if I want to steal some confidential data I will upload it to youtube, vimeo, etc (as the most blocked sites are streaming ones). So security doesn't have anything to do with it.

Sorry for the offtopic... now I think that the restriction should be in registering of signing in from bad ips but not consulting the forum.

Tags
https, legal hell