Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
Possibly a better way of dealing with:
Unable to register on the cellular network or SIM card error. (source)
Code:
/sbin/stop csd
/sbin/start csd
Yes, definitely.
As csd will not be restarted automatically hat least on my N9; on N900 it does ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Estonia
Hi,

I'm occasionally (about once a week or less, for heavy everyday use) having the issue with GPS hanging on my N9. So far i've not been able to fully recover from it without reboot. Here are some symptoms:
  • GPS status indicator starts and remains blinking when i lanuch a an app that uses GPS
  • no GPS app gets any data from GPS
  • if i close GPS app, the status indicator remains blinking forever until reboot
  • at the same time, if in power save mode, apps don't initiate internet connection - they remain waiting for it
  • if not in power save mode, phone thinks it has connection (either wifi or 3G), but apps mostly cannot use it - e.g. mail sync, calendar sync, facebook, talk.maemo.org, rss keep waiting for connection until timeout, but firefox is able to display web pages.
  • when i do killall positioningd (as root), nothing happens
  • when i do killall nped, it sais that no such process
  • when i do killall wlancond, the blinking GPS indicator goes away, but when i start a GPS app next time, it remains blinking again and no GPS data.
  • mobile calls continue to work normally
  • NFC also continues to work normally, but i have an unconfirmed feeling that it starts taking more than normal time to connect with a tag

So it looks like not strictly GPS issue to me. Does anyone have more ideas what to try?

k6ps

Twice in the last couple of months, after being in an area with poor cellular coverage, my N9 will not connect to the cellular network.

I tried enabling and disabling Flight Mode (which usually works).
I tried stopping and starting csd.

After starting csd, /var/log/syslog shows:
Code:
Mar 25 19:41:39 (2015) cellular: csd[29036]: com.nokia.csd.CSNet: ERROR Cell info query failed: Internal modem communication error
Mar 25 19:43:09 (2015) nped[1564]: i2c_write: Remote I/O error
Switching between GSM/Auto/3G and attempting to manually select a network instantly showed: no network available.

In both cases, rebooting the phone restored the cellular connection.

Any ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
No.

Only that stopping/starting (killing) csd should reset everything phone related. So I guess intermal modem firmware hickup ( as log says ) which needs reboot (or even battery decoupling!).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-03-26 at 20:15.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Hi. I've been having this problem for a long long time but never got around to ask about it.

Sometimes, after one or two days of uptime, a situation happens where RSS feeds to not update, mail accounts do not update, and applications like gPodder can't update podcasts or download episodes. It's like all file writing has been blocked.

I've tried all I can remember but the only thing that works is restarting the phone.

Also, how do I open a terminal to keep an eye on the system log to see if I can catch the error when it happens? AFAIK, there's no /var/log/messages on the N9...

Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Also, how do I open a terminal to keep an eye on the system log to see if I can catch the error when it happens? AFAIK, there's no /var/log/messages on the N9...
Try
Code:
tail /var/log/syslog
and
Code:
watch "dmesg | tail"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post: