Active Topics

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Just a quick thought I was interested in is to how many people on this
Forum actually still use n900 today as their main phone?

Since its release I've had and owned around 7 N900s sold one got iPhone sold iPhone back to n900 sold that got n9 sold that back to n900 you can get where I'm going with it.

I missed it so much I always had to go bak to it but when I had it I got more frustrated with little things as of now

I own two n900s ones dead from cssu devel and I have no USB port so it's gone. 2nd one I have is in mint well almost mint condition which I just bought few weeks ago. Started using it as main phone but it just sits on tv now and I'm using my iphone 4 (yes I know) and a galaxy s3 and android is super customisable but I'm honestly sick and tired of android I really am. Plus as I get older the thought of hacking and tweaking devices is just not as fun as it used to be hence why I'm using iPhone.

Anyway so the question was how many of you still to this day 3/4 years later still using the n900 and why?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lucas777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 270 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
I do...as main and only phone!
Why don't you fix hat USB port? If you disassamble phone, it won't cost more than 5 € to solder it back.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dzano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
me.. it was my first smartphone and it will be my last..

PS: from my new N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to visN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
I am using both my N9 & N900

N9 being the primary one. But I enjoy my maemo5 time more, so...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
Just a quick thought I was interested in is to how many people on this
Forum actually still use n900 today as their main phone?
[...snip...]
Anyway so the question was how many of you still to this day 3/4 years later still using the n900 and why?
I still use my n900 for a few reasons:
1) Most of the time I'm some place that as free wifi. The n900 combined with TOR and LocalPhone mean I basically have a free cell phone. The few times that I NEED a phone with me I have a cheap pre-paid phone that usually ends up costing me about $5/mo through Verizon.

2) The fact the it's the only smart phone (that I'm aware of) that has Rockbox. Once you get Rockbox customized no other music player comes close. Managing a library of currently 7251 songs coming in at 27GB would be a nightmare in anything else on a smart phone.

3) nmap, aircrack-ng, wireshark, and other fun tools.

4) TRUE GNU/Linux environment, I've tried rooted android devices, but busybox just doesn't do it for me. My job revolves around Linux, being able to scp files from or to my phone, or worst case piping data through nc and gpg2, are things that are hard or impossible on another device.

5) And finally, I paid something like $550 for it new, and it's going to give me atleast another 6 years even if I have to hot-glue and duct-tape it together.

I've yet to encounter the broken USB port so many others have, so far I am crossing my fingers. Battery life has been the thing I'm more disappointed it, I've been considering building a dual battery.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Xenolith0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
N900 is my primary phone, and is likely to remain as such.
Best wishes.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Thanks for the replys as to the question above I don't think I can fix it as I've lost the USB piece to it not sure if its possible to acquire one anywhere?

The Following User Says Thank You to lucas777 For This Useful Post:
same thing here. n900 has been and always will be my primary phone. the only contender i can see in the far away horizon is ubuntu for phone. but until then, this baby stays by my side.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
I still use N900 as my only phone since 2010. I can't do without the FM transmitter and 32GB of storage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atamariya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
My N900 is still my main phone. I've got a spare, just in case the active one dies. I've bought four N900s in all. One was stolen, one given away. I have an N950 running Nemo which I play with, but It really isn't usable as a smartphone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900