Active Topics

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
My only phone since 2009 when I bought it, no other phone has even tempted me. I use it mainly as pocket linux computer, my favorite features are the desktop-like linux distro and the hardware keyboard. It basically made my laptop obsolete.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
I do, because I don't want to spend money on another smartphone and have to learn to deal with a whole new set of issues. I've even considered going back to a dumbphone just to get that great reliability back...Meanwhile I am trying to use the N900 as best I can. Right now, if only if would:

- reliably send, receive and display SMS and IM (without e.g. messages being stuck and not sent)

- show the lock screen every time I push the power button

- not get stuck with the blurred screen when I'm about to make a phone call

I've recently used it to good effect (if with an unhappy ending), see here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88756

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
primary phone here too...

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamburg, Germany
i'm also using the n900 as my main phone. got a samsung s3. but that was boring! got now a second spare n900 and found a very good source for ORIGINAL spare parts. my n900 looks like new!

i really like the openes of this phone! and i will use it as long as the ecosystem, means this community and the volunteers and the maemo.org, are alive. when this fades away i will switch to another system.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to martinwozenilek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Here's another N900 user and I'll most likely stay one until the device (and it's backup device in my closet) dies.

What I need is a small pocket linux computer (vpn, ssh, standardized reference platform - read: Easy Debian) with hw keyboard that's able to make phone calls and go online via cellular networks).
Frankly the N900 sucks at doing that. Maemo is dependency hell at its best, the watchdog is giving me headaches, I start to feel that my demands are limited by the hardware and to make things even worse I'm all thumbs so I almost break my fingers using the keyboard (e.g. my fist name starts with an "A" and I find it horrible to input characters that require to press two adjacent keys on a diagonal).

The sad truth is, that the N900 with all its flaws is still the best device out there for my needs. I've tried a couple of android devices (most without keyboard) and they usually feel great for the first 30 seconds or so. But then I try to accomplish one of my every-day tasks and have to realize that the kernel doesn't support tun devices, that there's no posix shell, no way to load an X-Server or something similar.

Bottom line:
I'll be the first one to throw my N900 away if there's another device on the market that suits my needs better, but I don't see that coming at all. All I can see out there are shiny toys.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Still using the N900 as my main phone yeah. The only reason is that I am too poor to buy a new phone. Since I do realise the browser and other tiny functions just can't keep up with the newer phones.

But even if I would buy a new phone, I will keep the N900 with me because it's the best phone i've had. And you will still get positive reactions from people who actually know the phone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wreck For This Useful Post:
I would, if only I could flash it. I have no 32 bit computers and the 64 bit workaround never worked. Pity me. But, I will continue on trying to revive this beast of a phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Some of my hardware keys not working . even my physical lock key is dead.my camera dead meanwhile but it is working now.

And i am still happy that i am using this great device as a main phone

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicholes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Main device here as well, and back up (brand new) waiting for it's turn.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
I do... well, I have nitdrdoid installed, and everything still works in my N900, I only flashed it twice, I don't need a new phone! It's perfect!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nutty For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900