Active Topics

I am using both N9 & N900....N9 for 3G voice calls (private number)...event feed integration makes it primary ....N900 for VOIP calls and official calls....

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to praveenchand For This Useful Post:
I still use the N900 as primary phone too, although for a year or so I switched to an Android phone - But I came back to the N900. You just can't compare a full-fledged, open Linux system to those walled garden Android devices.

Btw:
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I would, if only I could flash it. I have no 32 bit computers and the 64 bit workaround never worked. Pity me. But, I will continue on trying to revive this beast of a phone.
Couldn't you just set up a 32 bit virtual machine?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lokimotive For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamburg, Germany
I really don't understand what never phones should make better. Quad Core CPUs. Well, maybe you need them when you're using a java virtual machine on your smartphone, like android does. All other is just software based. Whatever is wanted or needed we just need to code it. The hardware of the N900 is still sufficient. Ok, a real touch screen would be nice ... but that's the only thing i'm missing.

The Following User Says Thank You to martinwozenilek For This Useful Post:
got my n900 a few months after release along with official case and still use everyday. bought a new battery last summer as backup during holidays for photos and now has a 64gb sdxc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
N9 is my primary one but I used n900 few times when I got bored of n9 . I would say I would use more N900 if battery life would be better and os smoother . I like them both and I won't sell any of it .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragoss91 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Hong Kong
Hi All,

Count me in as well! I've been using my N900 as my sole main phone since I got it in early 2010, and I've been loving it ever since.

Although the hardware is old compared to what's out there now, for me there just doesn't seem to be any other mobile OS that comes close to Maemo's combination of flexibility, openness, customisation, and capability. It really is more like a pocket computer rather than just a smartphone. And the true multitasking implementation has yet to be matched.

Apart from Maemo I also really love the hardware keyboard (such a rarity these days) and perhaps most of all, I really love this awesome community! It's a key reason why I stick with my N900. If the support from everyone on Maemo.org died I would probably have moved on.

The fancy hardware of new phones does tempt me, but having used iOS (iPhones and iPad in family) and Android (4.0 on my Sony Walkman Z) I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed, particularly with Android which I find messy, sluggish and boring. I'm keeping an eye on the developments of Jolla, Tizen, Ubuntu and Firefox, but doubt I will be changing for a good while.

I'm now looking forward to 'upgrading' my N900 by reflashing and installing CSSU-Thumb as well as some other new apps I've been waiting to try. Here's to another few years!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jerex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
I own 2x A780, 1x Freerunner, 2x N900 and 1x N950.

My daily phone for work and private use are the N900. Only when I go for holidays I replace my private N900 with an A780. Because I don't want to loose or break two N900 on same time.

When a N900 will break I will replace it with N900. Maybe if the community kernel for N9(50) will be finished I will buy a N9 for play around. I also tried Nemo with my N950 it is getting better but can not think about to use N9 as main phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Australia
I have two. One as a primary phone, the other as a backup experiment phone. I picked up the second one for $60.00 because it was advertised as broken on ebay, all it needed was to be flashed. I like to think of my n900 as the little phone that can.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n900d-i-y For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Still my only phone. Bought it in December 2010 to replace my NokiaN82. In terms of camera it was a slight downgrade (xenon flash etc ), but otherwise... Currently no plans to replace it because there is no alternative at moment

The Following User Says Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I'm really impressed by all of you that have n900 as main and only phone. At the same time I feel a bit sad for you. But I guess if you are happy it's fine by me. I'm happy.

Personally I love the phone, but it can't live up to what I expected from a device 2013,even if it has a few unique features.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-31 at 11:05.

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900