Active Topics

Recently bought a pack of screen protectors for my current two n900s.
Happy to scratch the screen now. Not pleasant without a protector, carrying it around with keys and so.

Sold four other n900s (was done playing with different OSes and setups) and have another bare n900 motherboard (usb and wifi works, keyboard light, camera and sim do not) for sale if anyone interested

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I've been running the N900 again for a few weeks since Skywalker suggested the anniversary event. Discovered that during the absence of the SIM, I'd made a little progress in my ill-conceived, poorly thought out, and even more poorly named, "Auto Speak Incoming SMS" project.

I found that I didn't need to write my own dbus monitor, a QueenBeeCon widget (beewidget? bwidget? whatever.) can listen for "IncomingSegment" and trigger running an arbitrary command. That command can look through the SMS database and retrieve the last one and pipe it to espeak. Only works part of the time, since it may take longer to populated the messages table with the latest message than it does for the widget to trigger the script, so it might read the second to last message instead. Or it might not do anything. Or it might read the last SMS at some other time.

Obviously it needs more work. And even more obviously, it's still a really stupid idea, because the number of situations you wouldn't want your phone suddenly to read a private communication from any arbitrary person with your phone number vastly outnumbers the number of situations where that would be useful. Unless you live or work alone in a cave, of course. And then it wouldn't work since you can't get reception in any decent cave -- been there, done that.

Nevertheless, I'm glad this commemorative activity was suggested, because I've had fun with both using the phone and messing with sqlite3 and the messages table.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
I think your application could be useful for truck driver's inside countries where driving and using a cellphone is illegal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Dongle Fongle View Post
Recently bought a pack of screen protectors for my current two n900s.
Happy to scratch the screen now. Not pleasant without a protector, carrying it around with keys and so.

Sold four other n900s (was done playing with different OSes and setups) and have another bare n900 motherboard (usb and wifi works, keyboard light, camera and sim do not) for sale if anyone interested

may i ask u how your bare board does wifi ?
i am intrested

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.

Using N900 as a main phone. All is working fine.

Default email app with imap support

fmms for sending images

BlessN900 as camera

Cutetube2 for youtube

Picodrive for Sega games

mSoma internet radio streams for music

Openmediaplayer for vids

Pidgin for Telegram

Calendar

Notes widget for desktop reminder, Notes for longer notes and Abiword for wordprocessing

MobileHotspot with usb in use

Just some browser issues but micro-b for TMO use, Opera and Netsurf (with TLS 1.2) for news sites and browsing and Iceweasel for some sites which wont work otherwise.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I still use an N900, not as a phone, but as my "brain prosthesis" as a former coworker referred to it. I use it for all of my personal media that I prefer not to stick on my (work) iphone. My music and ebooks and podcasts and audiobooks. For this, it still works amazingly well. The FMTX still works as well, so I can still play audio in the car.

The original one I bought in 2010 stopped charging, so I am using it for parts. I found two of them on ebay in very good condition (one was only used as a digital picture frame), for under $100 US, so I bought both.

Here's to another 10-20 years with this amazing device!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I am planning to use it as a main phone "soon" when Maemo Leste is workable.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
Well, joining the party very late. I am like back from my coma. I would love to set up my n900 back to where it used to be, but not sure where to start. Should I flash mine and set it up from the start? Are there working repos that I can use?

I won't be using this as my main phone (battery is poor), but definitely as a second phone on me always.

I would like to have Maemo alongside a kubuntu build with multiboot/bootmenu/u-boot ( not sure which one I used to have ). Also, would love to try Maemo Leste - latest debian + hildon-desktop - would be fun

Any leads where I shall start? Oh, and any genuine batteries available online (deliverable to India)? I can't find the difference between a fake and a genuine one.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to manojkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Im not using my N900 as a daily but still have it. Its too rare to give it away to anyone. Still love it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
2020 still using my N900 daily for Rockbox and Notes. I'm going to retire it the second Maemo-Leste comes out for the Pro1.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900