Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Not to mention that AFAIK, Jolla isn't paying Maemo a single cent for maintaining all traffic that comes from their devices.
Well I at least have made made a few donations (my donation for this year to the foundation is still due though). And I suspect that a lot of now Sailfish users also have.

You are navigating dangerous waters with this line of thought....

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Just my personal 0.02:
I agree with pichlo and javispedro.
I do like the sailfish discussions here (cross-reading a few interesting ones) and believe we should accept them. Maybe they are our future, maybe not. But who cares, these discussions are held by a lot of our Maemo/MeeGo users and also new ones. We can learn from each other. At least accept each other.

But also thanks to Estel for bringing this up. I already thought of a similar request, but wouldnt call it 'spamming' (even written in '' ).
An option to blacklist some forums on Active Topic list would be appreciated.

--
and we should see that this is also only a temporary situation until Sailfish has settled (okay, make take some time ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-01-13 at 17:09.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Well I at least have made made a few donations (my donation for this year to the foundation is still due though). And I suspect that a lot of now Sailfish users also have.

You are navigating dangerous waters with this line of thought....
I think he meant Jolla the company, not Jolla users. TMO was at the beginning sponsored by Nokia, so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that Jolla might contribute to a forum on which their devices cause >70% of daily traffic. I don't see anything contentious in that Estel's sentence.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I think he meant Jolla the company, not Jolla users. TMO was at the beginning sponsored by Nokia, so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that Jolla might contribute to a forum on which their devices cause >70% of daily traffic. I don't see anything contentious in that Estel's sentence.
...and this is a dangerous place to go, because to some it may sound like "Jolla: pay or get out", and I don't think that Google/Samsung/Apple/Intel are paying despite the fact that there are a few dedicated Android/Tizen/etc. threads not to mention all the comparisons that are made (for better or worse) with their products.

I think Jolla _can_ contribute if they want, the same as everybody else.

Nokia used to maintain and own this site, yes, but I don't think it's fair to ask Jolla to conribute without ownership in the way that Nokia used to have it. Not sure they'd want to do it. There is a thread where TMO and Jolla discuss involvement, and TMO's wish is to remain owned by the community. Or have I misunderstood?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
1. Shooting: Killing "Software" and put everything under the OSs sub

2. I want subs in off topic.
- Off-Topic
- More Off-Topic
- Truly Off-Topic

3 - A Tizen Sub under alternatives

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

First of all, no bad blood against Jolla users. I'm also cross-reading few Jolla threads, BTW. The problem is, as pichlo mentioned that...

Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
TL;DR: subscribe to topics of interest if the Active Topics section fills up with things that don't interest you.
...I can't, as I wont even *know* about existence of those topics of interest, because they're spammed-out by bulkhead of Jollas-related activity in "Active Topics!".

I don't know for others, but after years of using this forum, "Active Topics" is for me a (main) way of discovering new, interesting threads that are created.

Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
...and this is a dangerous place to go, because to some it may sound like "Jolla: pay or get out", and I don't think that Google/Samsung/Apple/Intel are paying despite the fact that there are a few dedicated Android/Tizen/etc. threads not to mention all the comparisons that are made (for better or worse) with their products.
Still, those "other companies" doesn't have a dedicated sub-forums and, generally, such "systematic" support from forum and its staff. I think, indeed, that it is not unreasonable to expect them to contribute financially.

But, all of the above becomes moot, as soon as we're given tools to...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
An option to hide (blacklist if you wish) traffic from selected sections
Then, if TMO management doesn't see need to get contribution from Jolla and likes being their customer's center for free, who I am to oppose? As long as they allow "proper" Maemo content to breathe.

I don't mind dog-loving guests in our cat-lovers public house. If there are empty rooms they could use - that's great. But, if their dogs starts to chase our cats, and I need to run around the place to even find them, I'm starting to get pissed off. Hospitality shouldn't make normal living so problematic for hosts, should it?

If, on the other hand there are difficulties about creating technical possibilities for hosts and long-time guests to coexistent without problems, then, maybe, inviting guests so early isn't that good idea, after all?
---

This is all my post is (and was) about. A food for thoughts.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
There are people active on those threads who joined back in Nxxx times and I am not talking about N900 or N950.
Added subsub-forum TOH to clean Jolla sub-forum.

And sorry I cannot make the forumsoftware change in anyway you'd like atm. I will have a look for improvements you'd like but we can be glad to get security updates for it at all...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
2. I want subs in off topic.
- Off-Topic
- More Off-Topic
- Truly Off-Topic
We need way more than three levels of off-topic to accommodate for Dave's valuable posts. Plus an automatic filter to put them straight to the highest level

I actually happen to agree with points 1 and 3.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I thought tmo, before it was renamed from itt to tmo, was privately or donation-funded.

The "spam" issue happened also when N900 came out, btw. IIRC, it was far worse back then...

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Well, I don't exactly see how ITT comparison is relevant to TMO, financed by Maemo people. Even leaving aside fact, that ITT times, alongside it's founder, are hardly the kind of things I would like to see re-introducing.

Also, there is problem of "spam" vs spam. If Neo900 gets released and spark huge activity, that's OK, even though I'm broke enough to not being able to buy it, as for now. Neo900 is, well, relevant to Maemo. When such "spam" occurs from some 3th party product, totally unrelated to Maemo (think something about Tizen level of being related, or Android, just for being somewhat related to Linux kernel), which got own forum section and corresponds to ~70% of daily traffic here (numbers made up, based on totally subjective observations), then something seems to be wrong.

BUT, when in addition to it, it makes browsing *relevant* content related to Maemo harder, then, well... Cat can be Alive, Dead, or Bloody Furious, and it's the third stage we're facing now.

/Estel

// Edit

All of this seems to be moot anyway, as we were clearly told to be happy, that forum is working at all. Well, lets eat the bullet, then.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-01-14 at 22:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: