Notices

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
There is a non-https version which google translates willingly:
http://translate.google.com/translat...Navit_auf_n900

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by dragonteeth View Post
I'm afraid I'm a bit of a n00b and my learning curve is very steep. I do try to read things before asking for help and I've managed reasonably well so far, but this one's got me. The more I read about the different installations the more confused I'm getting.

If I understand it at all, I need to install the "libgarmin" before I can install the main "Navit" application, and I also need a map package. Is that right?

The problem is that I'm seeing several references of places to go to get the packages and some of them are old ones and some of them don't seem to work at all.

I did find this page...

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/navit/

But that doesn't seem to be quite right, (maybe it doesn't have the "lib" package) but I'm not sure how to fix that or even if it is still the correct current version.

I've found this one...

http://maps5.navit-project.org/

For the maps (I think), and at least I have found my home etc.

I can't find the "lib" things (libgarmin?), is there an alternative lib or am I missing something?

Would someone be kind enough to point me to the right things, and give me some tips on getting it working smoothly?

Many thanks

Charles
i got everything working following this page: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38800&page=52

did anyone ever get that qml gui working?
i try every few months and it's alwys crashing on my because of some missing symbols.
most recently even the qt painter crashes with a missing symbol, but from the bugtracker that at least should be solved since february.

There is a new build on bokmoko, but the symbol is still missing:

Code:
navit:plugin_load:can't load '/opt/navit/lib/navit/graphics/libgraphics_qt_qpainter.so', Error '/opt/navit/lib/navit/graphics/libgraphics_qt_qpainter.so: undefined symbol: _ZTV14EmbeddedWidget'

Last edited by Hiro P.; 2012-04-12 at 16:02.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ London
With apologies for the delay, I've been away (was hoping to have this sorted before I went but never mind) I tried this this afternoon and didn't have much luck.

Originally Posted by magic_doc View Post
No problem, then I try to explain step by step:

1. You have to add the repository in the application-manager (wether the original one or Faster Application Manager that I prefer):

Code:
Name: navit
URL: http://www.chollya.org/navit/
Distribution: /
Components:
Then update the package list.

2. Then install the package navit (Version 0.5.0 is the latest one), the libgarmin will be installed too cause it is included in the repos.
I got this far, and got an error that said something was "broken".

3. Then you will have to install librsvg2-2 and librsvg2-common too because otherwise there will be no icons in the main menu
I thought this might be what was causing the "Broken" problem but I couldn't find these files at all.

4. Now you have to copy the configuration template to your home. Open the xterm and do this:

Code:
cd /home/user
mkdir .navit
cp /etc/navit/navit.xml /home/user/.navit/navit.xml
You will find my configuration files as an example here.

Of cause you will need a map a place it where you have specified it in the config.

I hope this will help you and feel free to ask for further information.

CU Michael

I didn't get to the "Configuration Files, but the link to the "example" led to a directory of XML files and I don't know how to view those.

Your help is hugely appreciated, I'm sorry I'm not getting the hang of it.

C

the chollya repo seems to be dead for some time now - latest packages are from july 2011.
the only one still being updated i know of, is bokomoko (search the forum for instructions on how to install the repo):
http://bokomoko.de/~rd/maemo unstable/

i attach my configurations, unzip those three files into folder /home/user/.navit/
these three files are:
- navit.xml -- general navit configuration (and references the next two files)
- OSD.xml -- on screen display configuration
- maps.xml -- maps files location

you may want to change two settings:
- in navit.xml in line 9 the language attribute from en_DE to en_UK, so that navit has an english interface (en) and UK as default country (UK)
- in maps.xml the path and name of the maps file: /media/mmc1/europe.navit.bin

anything else should work -- updated navit.xml yesterday to the latest navit from bokomoko.
Attached Files
File Type: zip navit_confs.zip (28.7 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by arne.anka; 2012-04-18 at 21:19. Reason: fixed typo in /home/user/.navit (missing /)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arne.anka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
the chollya repo seems to be dead for some time now - latest packages are from july 2011.
the only one still being updated i know of, is bokomoko (search the forum for instructions on how to install the repo):
http://bokomoko.de/~rd/maemo unstable/
At least, the packages are working. Last time (8th of March) I tried the bokomoko-packages, navit did not start at all!

Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
i attach my configurations, unzip those three files into folder /home/user.navit/
There is an typo: the folder is /home/user/.navit/

But thanks for attaching your configs, I will test it again with the latest packages from bokomoko.de and report back here.

Tnx & HANW

Michael

The Following User Says Thank You to magic_doc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dragonteeth View Post
I didn't get to the "Configuration Files, but the link to the "example" led to a directory of XML files and I don't know how to view those.

Your help is hugely appreciated, I'm sorry I'm not getting the hang of it.
C
OK folks, I now successfully switched to the bokomoko.de-packages as described by arne.anka and using his config-files.
Thanks again for that- the trick is that you must always use latest navit.xml-configfiles as they may be incompatible from older versions causing the hang of the hole application at start.

I am still using the internal gui with gtk-drawing-area, the qml-gui does not work with it and qt-painter seems to be incompatible to the qt-Version of CSSU.
Does anyone has it running though?

@dragonteeth: the configs of navit are always xml-Files, just use a text-editor to view or change it.

CU Michael

The Following User Says Thank You to magic_doc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ London
arne.anka

and

magic_doc

Thanks for your help and patience.

OK so I added the Navit repository and installed the package, so far so good. It shows on my list of applications, but obviously doesn't actually DO anything.

I unzipped the Config Packages on my PC and made the changes you suggested (thanks again arne.anka). I thought it would be relatively simple to then push the files to the N900 in "Mass Storage Mode" but it doesn't seem to be.

I can't find a file named "home" "user" or "navit".

Have I missed something?

In one of the things there was an additional code that had to be entered to the N900 using the X-Term, is that an old reference or should I be doing that?

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
you r nearly done.
if u already put the 3 xml files in your N900, probably you have it in the folder /home/user/MyDocs (you have to check, from xterm type: cd /home/user/MyDocs and send. then type ls and send, to have a list of files in that folder.)

anyway, when u know where the 3 xml files are, to move the files in the right navit folder, open xterminal and type the command to enter that folder, for example: cd /home/user/MyDocs

to move navit.xml in the right path, type: mv navit.xml /home/user/.navit

same for OSD.xml and maps.xml

ps: if u dont have the folder /home/user/.navit , u have to create it with command: mkdir /home/user/.navit

good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap