Alright, Council, any comments to this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1223149

I suppose you guys have connections to the guys/company hosting us?
I hope you guys are the correct ones to address this issue to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
actually the question is about....
There goes as well the budget for funding maemo.org and paying the salaries of whoever has still a relationship with this community
as i already posted in the thread referred to by Wonko, there is no mention of MeeGo/Harmattan in the original post
???

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It is not.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005031.html
imho, its time for the council to start atleast discussions and planning for alternatives if in the worst case maemo.org is to be shut down on 31st Dec 2012.
we keep hearing that atleast 6 months notice will be provided but there is no confirmation from anyone in authority from Nokia (no offence to qgil or anyone from Nokia posting on these boards).
Its already mid-June and we have less than 6 months to Dec end 2012 - the date till which maemo.org will definitely be running.
A community thread can be started right away.

The Following User Says Thank You to TimusEravan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TimusEravan View Post
imho, its time for the council to start atleast discussions and planning for alternatives if in the worst case maemo.org is to be shut down on 31st Dec 2012.
Sure, it's never too early to plan ahead anyway, and with most of the freebie device nonsense ending today I guess that's next.

Its already mid-June and we have less than 6 months to Dec end 2012 - the date till which maemo.org will definitely be running.
I think you'll find that's a bit more than 6 months ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
We received a private email from qgil explaining the situation this Friday and was part of the Council meeting, as you can check in the logs and the minutes that will be published soon.

However, we have not entered into details yet. First of all, we don't have all the information and we need not to panic.

Indeed, in the following weeks this is going to be a hot topic and we will discuss deeply about the current situation and the future.

Please stay tuned as this is a difficult situation and we will need all your help to drive it appropriately.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
We received a private email from qgil explaining the situation this Friday and was part of the Council meeting, as you can check in the logs and the minutes that will be published soon.

However, we have not entered into details yet. First of all, we don't have all the information and we need not to panic.

Indeed, in the following weeks this is going to be a hot topic and we will discuss deeply about the current situation and the future.

Please stay tuned as this is a difficult situation and we will need all your help to drive it appropriately.
two words of advice to take to heart in the coming months...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
hello council,

These thoughts occured to me after reading the theme maker thread.

Our community and essentially all opensource communities work because of code reuse, and dependencies are a great way to reuse other community code without having to worry about it's maintenance. Especially on a mobile device where storage is precious, dependencies are even more important. Imagine having to statically link and include every other piece of software you need for your application to function.

In Fremantle this problem is solved brilliantly with maemo extras. In Harmattan we have Apps For MeeGo but there lies a chicken-and-egg problem. As it is not preinstalled, there isn't enough user base and as there isn't enough user base developers prefer the ovi store for deployment, which however does not support dependencies to other community applications/libraries.

After the recent announcements it is even more clear that the N9 should rely on our support and not Nokia's so having the infrastructure that will make the developers life easier is vital. I propose that we do whatever we can to influence Nokia to include the appsformeego client in the next software update. It should not conflict with their interests as all the apps hosted in the community repository are free so there will be no lost value on their end.

I know that now this must be very difficult but I believe now is even more important than before. An effort like saera would be futile without proper dependency support, as well as many other projects, from simple scripts like my own sms160 to full-fledged applications.

Thanks for your time.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
hello council,

These thoughts occured to me after reading the theme maker thread.

Our community and essentially all opensource communities work because of code reuse, and dependencies are a great way to reuse other community code without having to worry about it's maintenance. Especially on a mobile device where storage is precious, dependencies are even more important. Imagine having to statically link and include every other piece of software you need for your application to function.

In Fremantle this problem is solved brilliantly with maemo extras. In Harmattan we have Apps For MeeGo but there lies a chicken-and-egg problem. As it is not preinstalled, there isn't enough user base and as there isn't enough user base developers prefer the ovi store for deployment, which however does not support dependencies to other community applications/libraries.

After the recent announcements it is even more clear that the N9 should rely on our support and not Nokia's so having the infrastructure that will make the developers life easier is vital. I propose that we do whatever we can to influence Nokia to include the appsformeego client in the next software update. It should not conflict with their interests as all the apps hosted in the community repository are free so there will be no lost value on their end.

I know that now this must be very difficult but I believe now is even more important than before. An effort like saera would be futile without proper dependency support, as well as many other projects, from simple scripts like my own sms160 to full-fledged applications.

Thanks for your time.
i would add my 2 cents here. As far as i know apps4meego does not support libraries and deps too, so you need to build them in. I think that should be re-thinked. as it makes it more like ovi or other market, while i think most would prefer the linux-way repos, where you can submit not only user apps, but libraries, tools and so on...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Imagine having to statically link and include every other piece of software you need for your application to function.
Like on Android?

As far as I remember, the Extras repository wasn't preinstalled in Fremantle either untill PR1.1 or other update (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe it could be preinstalled in PR1.3? (but is it being maintained by Nokia?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Extras was preinstalled after PR1.2 (maybe even earlier) and was renamed to maemo.org (I still have both the official and my own maemo extras testing - one is disabled of course)

And anyway the client was there. On the N9 there isn't even the indication that a community repo exists. Just a link to apps4meego would do the job almost as well. (like the installer icons on N900, although it should be preinstalled in my opinion)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-06-18 at 08:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

Tags
ask council, ask the council, community, councilors, questions