Active Topics

Notices

I took a look at winmapper and it only downloaded zero byte files so I figured I'll ask to see if there is something different others are using.

Feature idea:

Wilderness mode.

How would it work?

Well, first you'd set up some waypoints, and then enable "wilderness mode", optionally you then plug headphones and stick one/two in your ear...

Then you start walking, and peridically MM will tell you something like "Waypoint one 20 degrees left, Waypoint one 5 degrees left" (any other ways? sound? different kind of beeps?, stereo sound (surround sound would be nice) ) and you keep walking.

Ofcourse you could customize the way it reports, how often, how verbose etc. (Waypoint two - 50 degrees left, 10km, eta 3 hours) . Perhaps you could also click some button and MM then tells you more info about other waypoints etc.

P.S Here's an interesting way to feel where North is: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.04/esp_pr.html

EDIT: added a feature request to the MM garage page.

Last edited by cybe; 2008-03-11 at 07:11.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Tehran-Iran
i want maps / streets for tehran...iran

I use tracks to show subway and train lines on my maps. It's pretty useful but every track has the same color (red). Is there a way to have different colors?

Originally Posted by t24 View Post
I use tracks to show subway and train lines on my maps. It's pretty useful but every track has the same color (red). Is there a way to have different colors?
Sorry, but there are only two different types of paths - your track (where you have been) and your route (where you want to go). Tracks and routes are interchangeable (meaning you can save a track and open it as a route), but that only gives you two color options.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
As of the past few days, the GPX driving directions and poi web service hasn't been working for me. I had just flashed my n800 to os2008, so I thought that might be the problem, but when I tried using the browser interface I got the same problem. No matter what querry I sent it claims the source or destination is invalid, even the exact same sources that it accepted this time last week.

Have others observed this as well? Perhaps Google simply changed the format of itsresponse pages causing breakage.

Hi,

I can confirm that the POI service seems broken. I tried the web
interface as well and always get an error message.

Mikael

I want better POI management. Something that lists all POIs in the database or all in X radius from your view point. Also, when you click on the poi it tells you the description as well instead of just title/category. And the ability to have custom fields. It seems like it just grabs it all from a file so it should be doable..

Originally Posted by manderss99 View Post
Hi,

I can confirm that the POI service seems broken. I tried the web
interface as well and always get an error message.

Mikael
Yep, Google changed there web pages slightly. I have fixed the problems - POI search should work again.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cLin View Post
I want better POI management. Something that lists all POIs in the database or all in X radius from your view point.
That's what the "Browse POIs" dialog is for, accessible via the "POI | Browse..." menu item. If you want to list ALL POI, just leave the query blank. Or am I misinterpreting your request?

Also, when you click on the poi it tells you the description as well instead of just title/category.
Descriptions can be arbitrarily long, which might not fit easily in the pop-up info box. If you need to view the whole description, tap-and-hold on the POI and select "POI | View/Edit...". If you really want to see the whole description when you tap on a POI, you can just put the whole description in the Label field.

And the ability to have custom fields. It seems like it just grabs it all from a file so it should be doable..
Custom fields for what, specifically? I mean, I guess I could add "Address" and "Phone Number", but why not just put that information in the Label or Description? (POI are stored in a sqlite3 database, by the way.)