I was just wondering, being the one and only netbook/laptop (or even computer) that Nokia has ever built, why can't the newly Nokia/Intel OS be able to run on it? I have to admit I am not too familiar with the entire process, but i understand it has something to do with the Nokia Booklet 3G's chipset. That netbook is perfect for me (HDMI-out, 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth are my must-have, plus 720p screen is a bonus) and I would really love to support MeeGo, but I have heard it isn't compatible ( http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=264 ). I was just wondering, it is just a question of time, until somebody figures out how to write some drivers, or will it never be possible?

If never possible, do you guys know if Nokia plans to release a 2nd netbook eventually? Or at least do you guys know any other 3G netbook that also support WiFi, Bluetooth, and HDMI connectivity?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Because Meego will only run on certain CPUs there is a list in the wiki that tells what what is and wont run

Apple Computer are now fully capable of running Windows OS... I don't know why cpu restrictions cannot be lifted... So just to confirm, you are saying MeeGo will NEVER be able to run on GMA500? (Or is it up to Nokia/Intel to decide if one say it will be supported?)

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
MeeGo requires GPU acceleration support to run. The people behind MeeGo have decided not to include any support for proprietary hardware, this includes any device with Nvidia, ATi. or in this case the Intel GMA 500 which uses a PowerVR core. So unless someone else (Novell maybe) decides to roll their own MeeGo distribution with support it will not be possible.

For what it's worth I tried using Ubuntu's Moblin remix, and even with the proprietary drivers installed, I couldn't get the Moblin interface running. so who knows.

Ahh, thank you very much for the explanation. So if I understand correctly, MeeGo will never see the day on a full modern desktop pc (by modern, i mean like quad-core, powerful video cards, over 4gb of ram)? So it's *only* meant to be used as a mobile/very simple OS?

And also... any word from a newer Nokia Booklet ever coming out? :S

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
MeeGo requires GPU acceleration support to run. The people behind MeeGo have decided not to include any support for proprietary hardware, this includes any device with Nvidia, ATi.
MeeGo FAIL

Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
MeeGo FAIL
Hardly. No distro includes the proprietary drivers for various video cards, they only provide a means to automatically fetch them. No one's added this to MeeGo, but if you're willing to contribute your time, then feel free.

As for the GMA500, there's been some work but if people want it in MeeGo, they should put up the effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
To be fair no Linux distro has support for high end graphics on the same level as windows. Even MacOS has relatively lackluster performance relative to a windows machine with the same hardware. As the market for these drivers expands the companies that develop them will make them better.

As for MeeGo, like I said, even with the proprietary drivers installed for my Nvidia card, I wasn't able to get Moblin's interface to work. I'm not sure what the problem is, but from what I could find it's just that anything but non-intel (and non gma500) cards are simply not supported. Hopefully this will change soon, because ignoring the ION netbooks could be a mistake.

Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
ignoring the ION netbooks could be a mistake.
It's easier to support the Intel chips because the drivers are totally open. If people want to make the other drivers work, sure, but they'll have to do the heavy lifting.

The point is that every single other mainstream linux distro is able to take advantage of 3d acceleration provided by proprietary drivers and use a compositing system. The problem with Moblin, and I presume MeeGo has the same problem because I can't get that to work either, is that even WITH those proprietary drivers installed and working I (and others) can't get the MeeGo environment to run. Other environments work fine, as does compiz, but the MeeGo UX does not, and presumably requires an intel gpu. So the real question is why doesn't it work? I have no good answer for that.

This is also the same reason it doesn't run in virtualbox/vmware. There isn't even a non-accelerated fallback.

Last edited by ZShakespeare; 2010-06-28 at 07:26.