Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
We have Karma already for receiving thanks for posts in Talk, but I believe it should be the other way around as well. People should be credited for thanking (ie, encouraging others).
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...hanks_in_talk/

Last edited by qgil; 2009-10-22 at 06:22. Reason: [Under consideration] tag

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Writing a good post worth a Thanks! costs more effort than thanking someone for a post. I assume you don't surf the forum to search for posts to Thanks!, but that you stumble upon them and respond by thanking.

There has to be a mechanism so that little johnny can't t(h)ank 1000 random posts to karma whore and screw the worthiness of the Thanks shown & search feature. I suggest, only let one thanking count to karma if there is an equal Thanks! given to the thanking user. So if you Thanks! and make good posts you eventually receive karma from both Thanks! as well as thanking others. This creates a healthy synergy between the 2 IMO.

I agree with what you say in your first paragraph, which is why I proposed a fractional metric. And I don't see that giving/getting thanks balances out necessarily. Anyway, the proposal may have no merit after all, which is what the Thumbs Down is for.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
No, I think giving "Thanks!" is an action which shows some participation in the community but is of such little value, and so easy to do, that it's effectively worthless.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It's not a bad idea but what's to stop someone from thanking every single last post? Maybe users should be limited by the number of thanks they can give out in a day so that they actually mean something, much like Bugzilla votes.

...now where's that handy FINISH HIM! button gone to?

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
What stops abuse NOW?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
It is a bad idea.

Giving "Thanks" shouldn't have any influence on karma.
If everything you do is going to be ranked then this forum will be turned into some kind of childish game.
Making an indicator of "Healthy account" and link it with giving thanks might be a good idea. (Many people don't like to post, but giving thanks will reflect a good healthy account in their profile[in future there might be a use for this])

Just think of this:
@Texrat ,zerojay and others: Wanna swap "Thanks"? (We all are going to get double Karma)

For those who are interested, you can easily pm me.

Anyway, this might be the worst example to give however, if someone is going to suggest an idea to rank a bad post (Some thing that shows how ungrateful or being thankless). You will get my vote for it (This will get me to change my signature into something more useful). ;]
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

FYI, disagreement is fine, but do you have to label an idea as "bad"?

Anyway, as I seem to keep having to mention over and over again, everything is subject to abuse. The potential of abuse is not enough to discredit an idea. If it were, we'd still be planting crops with sticks and harvesting by hand.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
FYI, disagreement is fine, but do you have to label an idea as "bad"?

Anyway, as I seem to keep having to mention over and over again, everything is subject to abuse. The potential of abuse is not enough to discredit an idea. If it were, we'd still be planting crops with sticks and harvesting by hand.
Well, I didn't... I even said so at the start. Just trying to make sure that these kinds of problems are being thought of, that's all.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by texrat View Post
fyi, disagreement is fine, but do you have to label an idea as "bad"?

Anyway, as i seem to keep having to mention over and over again, everything is subject to abuse. the potential of abuse is not enough to discredit an idea. If it were, we'd still be planting crops with sticks and harvesting by hand.
citizen, put down the stick and step away from the crops.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:

Tags
giving thanks, karma