Active Topics

When i make a call direct to a skype contact who is online, I am able to make a good call even on 2g, however if i were on 2g and wanted to make a skypeout call, it is never the same quality, I'm sure its simple, but then so am I

It also depends on where the skype out call is going to. If international, sometimes its not very clear (other variables to factor in)....skype to skype is computer to computer

The Following User Says Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:
It is probably due to the audio codecs used. Skype-to-Skype calls use SILK, their proprietary audio codec, which I think is close to a wideband codec.

Bridging to PSTN world of traditional telco as in Skypeout, your getting u/aLaw (landline) or GSM (mobile) codec, neither of which is as good as SILK or a wideband codec.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dcman View Post
It is probably due to the audio codecs used. Skype-to-Skype calls use SILK, their proprietary audio codec, which I think is close to a wideband codec.

Bridging to PSTN world of traditional telco as in Skypeout, your getting u/aLaw (landline) or GSM (mobile) codec, neither of which is as good as SILK or a wideband codec.
are there any settings which can improve this?

I don't think there is anything you can do about it, if the person on the other end is using a landline or mobile, the conversation voice quality will be limited by the codecs on the their side.

The Following User Says Thank You to dcman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dcman View Post
I don't think there is anything you can do about it, if the person on the other end is using a landline or mobile, the conversation voice quality will be limited by the codecs on the their side.
ok, thanks for the advice

Just try both a landline and gsm. In my experience, one is usually clearer than the other.