Poll: How many times do you have to remove the battery on your N900?
Poll Options
How many times do you have to remove the battery on your N900?

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
None.

Apps crash occasionally though, but the n900 recovers, without crashing.

RIP: Nokia N900 - ARM Cortex A8 @ 1150mhz - 32GB + 8GB - Maemo 5 PR1.2 + Android 2.2

[22:52] <DJ_Steve> its like ive released somethign useful or something

The Following User Says Thank You to Nipperoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
freezes coz of some full load apps running at the same time, but that is expected, and its only for max of 30 secs, then the phone responds again, mostly happens when updating via app manager.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Some programs from extras-devel could cause freezing. It's a bug in hildon-home i believe.. Matan made a customized hildon-home that fixes this.. if my memory treats me right.

I had to choose never cause the last time it happened was some month ago. The fix is pretty simple too..

1. ctrl+shift+x
2. sudo gainroot
3. pkill hildon-home

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
I have the same problem.
I think its only when i shake my phone (driving by car, running etc)
I have overclocked to 900 and undervoltet and use a sd card. whats your configuration?

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago
Wow. I am overwhelmed. My configuration is stone, stock standard. I had it overclocked for about a month (at 850MHz) but it was very unstable. And with some of the extras-devel apps installed, i thought I would just reinitialize the entire thing.

I think "acts" frozen is more like it. My guess is if I leave the browser "on" and I turn off the display it'll overwhelm the processor. The other problem is that it sometimes slows to 250MHz and can take up to 10 minutes to become responsive. It's even restarted itself.

Weird. Thanks for the responses! I will have to do some more digging.

I have never had to pull the battery and I don't reboot my phone. I have been really happy with the n900 since I got it. The browser slows down every so often but usually when viewing content heavy sites. I force quit the browser a few times a month when it becomes unresponsive. Email would be the one thing I would complain about. Thankfully there is a good community here and someone posted a fix that solved my problem. I don't really have any performance issues. I did overclock it for about a month but the battery took too much of a hit. I'm running it stock now and can easily make it through my work day and most of the night before I need to charge up the phone.

If your phone freezes, you're almost certainly the unlucky person who got a defective CPU or ram. Generally speaking, Linux (the kernel) doesn't freeze; when there's a freezing bug present, you know it. It happens frequently.

There just aren't that many rare states the kernel gets itself into. Video drivers are notoriously hard to get right, but a bad video driver would affect everyone.

Manufacturing process isn't perfect, and chips can become marginal over time. These failures are frustrating because they manifest as random bit errors, or complete clock-stopping events. Sometimes the various SMPSes are weak and undervolt with sufficient load or a weak battery. Sometimes the clock skew is just sufficiently low to keep things running until a sudden temperature spike causes one component to miss a step.

The worst part is that these random failures are so hard to reproduce, it's almost impossible to make a warranty claim.

Last edited by nightfire; 2010-08-12 at 05:14.

I answered "never", though on average it freezes once every 4 weeks.

The freezes have all been some sort of I/O deadlock. traffic to and from OneNAND has worked, but both mmc have been completely stalled. Everything that wants to touch swap or /home freezes up, and sooner or later everything will be waiting on mmc. Not every occurence has left me iwth enough working processes that I've been able to figure out what's happened.

As for the person copying large files.. With swap, MyDocs and /opt on the same device, the emmc really slows down alot under heavy loads. Contrary to popular belief, seeks are not fast on emmc when it comes to writing. Random 4k writes, or writes interleaved with reads can cause some 32-64-fold slowdown of the emmc..

Had mine since March 2010 and only time it froze (few weeks ago) was after installing one of the mapping apps - guess it could have been downloading too many tiles or something.
Uninstalled the app and it's been fine ever since. No complaints from me on that aspect of the N900. (touch wood)

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit
Hmm, I had freezes and had to remove the battery, usually happens when I am using Maps, and an incoming calls come. Mappero used to freeze my phone too.
I have not updated the eMMC with PR1.2. time to reflash..