Originally Posted by thedead1440
Originally Posted by NDarius
N9 to PC video talk does not work for me too. Lack of support scks!!
Harrass Nokia Store Support for it then...
I sent the Nokia tore a complaint. I'm sure they'll expedite getting an update released ASAFP.

Nokia's reply (surprise, surprise... and to think they want the US to be part of their market strategy - oh and here is a link to the Nokia N9 for business on the Nokia USA site... http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/...or-business/):

Thank you for emailing the Nokia USA Careline.

In response to your concern, as much as we would like to assist you on your inquiry, we would like to inform you that the Nokia N9 is not marketed in the US. In line with this, issues regarding this device are beyond our support.

Moreover, you may try to get in touch with your point of purchase. Also, you may visit the following links below for further assistance:

http://www.nokia.com.au
http://swipe.nokia.com.sg/support/
http://www.youtube.com/user/NokiaSupportVideos

Need other country to argue with nokia about this..

need a Guest House for temporary stay at Malaysia?
PM me

To the lucky few for whom this Gtalk video works, could you post which firmware version you are using?

At this point, I am willing to reflash my phone again with a firmware version that works just to check... I am on the NDT firmware (which should be the generic) and have a variety of accounts set up on my phone (3 MFEs including one for gmail, hotmail and work account; yahoo on IMAP, google account - using the built in google functionality but w/o email, just for gtalk; picasa, youtube, SIP (google voice), skype).

I reflashed the phone with PR1.3 and only turned on the google account - which never worked, so I doubt the accounts on the phone have much of an impact but they might...

I also tried creating a new google account from a US computer, I tried creating a google account while in another country from a local computer - both failed...

I am on Tmobile USA (not sure it makes any difference).

Anyway, thanks for any insights.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by GringoT View Post
To the lucky few for whom this Gtalk video works, could you post which firmware version you are using?

At this point, I am willing to reflash my phone again with a firmware version that works just to check... I am on the NDT firmware (which should be the generic) and have a variety of accounts set up on my phone (3 MFEs including one for gmail, hotmail and work account; yahoo on IMAP, google account - using the built in google functionality but w/o email, just for gtalk; picasa, youtube, SIP (google voice), skype).

I reflashed the phone with PR1.3 and only turned on the google account - which never worked, so I doubt the accounts on the phone have much of an impact but they might...

I also tried creating a new google account from a US computer, I tried creating a google account while in another country from a local computer - both failed...

I am on Tmobile USA (not sure it makes any difference).

Anyway, thanks for any insights.
Keep NDT firmware. GTalk Video calling is hit or miss.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Guys, I got it working. Installed some packages and now I can call my pc from my N9.

I'm not sure what package was responsible, but I installed:
  • mplayer_1.0svn20111001-1_armel.deb
  • libmp3lame0_3.98.4\+repack2-3~bpo60\+1_armel.deb
  • lame_3.98.4\+repack2-3~bpo60\+1_armel.deb gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg_0.10.9-2maemo2_armel.deb
  • liboil0.3_0.3.17-1maemo3+0m6_armel.deb
  • gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg_0.10.9-2maemo2_armel.deb

liboil and gstreamer-ffmpeg are available here

Someone please try not installing all them together so we will know

EDIT: completed the list of packages

Last edited by traysh; 2012-09-27 at 02:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traysh For This Useful Post:
gstreamer appears to be the fix (or a combination of the above packages, since it started working only when I installed gstreamer, which I installed last, naturally). I can now place and receive calls, although I have now lost the video feed on the phone in both directions... rebooting now to see if that fixes it... Interesting find though.

PS: On a side note, what are all these packages? Did I just blindly install a bunch of malware on my phone? All that for Gtalk ?

EDIT/UPDATE: So now I have no video feed on the N9 when making video calls, but the calls work (at least on the other end they can see me... and I can both receive and initiate. Could it be that codecs are missing? It looks like gstreamer is a partial fix. I could never install lame because of missing dependency issues on libncurses (the installed version on the phone is 2008xxxx while the required version for lame is 20120313 apparently and the phone refused to update to this version).
This more and more frustrating, but progress...

Originally Posted by traysh View Post
Guys, I got it working. Installed some packages and now I can call my pc from my N9.

I'm not sure what package was responsible, but I installed:
  • mplayer_1.0svn20111001-1_armel.deb
  • libmp3lame0_3.98.4\+repack2-3~bpo60\+1_armel.deb
  • lame_3.98.4\+repack2-3~bpo60\+1_armel.deb gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg_0.10.9-2maemo2_armel.deb
  • liboil0.3_0.3.17-1maemo3+0m6_armel.deb
  • gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg_0.10.9-2maemo2_armel.deb

Someone please try not installing all them together so we will know

EDIT: completed the list of packages

Last edited by GringoT; 2012-09-28 at 03:33. Reason: update

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by GringoT View Post
gstreamer appears to be the fix (or a combination of the above packages, since it started working only when I installed gstreamer, which I installed last, naturally). I can now place and receive calls, although I have now lost the video feed on the phone in both directions... rebooting now to see if that fixes it... Interesting find though.

PS: On a side note, what are all these packages? Did I just blindly install a bunch of malware on my phone? All that for Gtalk ?
mplayer is a video player that plays almost any video or audio.
liblame and lame are mp3 encoder and decoder
liboil I guess is a codec or various codecs
gstreamer is an audio player, the one responsible for the sounds in your phone. That package adds some mpeg codecs to it

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
traysh you installed the packages from Rzr's repo? Or?

Originally Posted by traysh View Post
I tried installing the gstreamer and liboil .debs but for some reason it gave me an "invalid install package" message. Any clues?

Tags
gtalk, video call