FWIW, I fully agree and want the openness that comes with Meego and I fully support the development effort.

I also think that things need to be discussed.

Don't get mad at me for bringing this stuff up. How many people do you think will buy Android and Apple devices between now and V1.2 ? You did notice that Apple had record profits in their last quarter, right ?

And notice that people are saying that V1.2 will be a reference release and not an actual release for a specific piece of hardware.

This isn't fun and games "in your spare time" stuff. Nokia is a public company and they are going to live or die based on now Meego does. It is that important to them.

Last edited by me2000; 2010-10-25 at 04:45.

Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
Don't get mad at me for bringing this stuff up.
We don't care if people bring up issues. We care that you seem more interested in harping on people aggresively for things you perceive to be an issue that either aren't, or they have no control over.

And notice that people are saying that V1.2 will be a reference release and not an actual release for a specific piece of hardware.
It will not be a supported, end-user ready product. It will work, fully, on the N900. That is a reference release.

People would be less pointed in their responses to you if you put some research and actual thought into your posts, instead of pointing at things everyone knows and flying off the handle about them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
We don't care if people bring up issues. We care that you seem more interested in harping on people aggresively for things you perceive to be an issue that either aren't, or they have no control over.
I guess its no big deal that its October, 2010 and Meego 1.1 is in the state its in. I guess everything is just peachy, just the way everyone thought it would be back when work started on Maemo 6.

It will not be a supported, end-user ready product. It will work, fully, on the N900. That is a reference release.
To me and a lot of other people, that has NEVER been clear until right now. I understood it wouldn't be formally supported by Nokia. That I can live with. But the fact that people are now saying that Meego 1.2 is a reference, not an "end user ready" product is pathetic.

People bought N900s thinking that Maemo 5 was going to be replaced by a solid, feature filled OS, be it Maemo 6 or Meego. Whether it was to be supported by Nokia or not.

I don't need the support of HP or IBM or Sony or Dell to run Linux/GNU/OS on my laptop. Linux/GNU/OS works on all these devices. Drivers are built into the kernel, builds are made for different hardware platforms and things work.

There is no reference "Linux". There is no reference KDE. There is no reference Qt. There is no reference Gnome. These are all finished products and ship as such.

If Meego is going to be "open", its going to work the same way.

I get a worse and worse vibe the further I get into this. It started out as a powerful, kick ***** project that was going to take the mobile world by storm. Now its deteriorated into a series of let downs and half truths and misleading promises with no real end in sight. Every time we get close to another milestone another half truth rears its head.

I specifically like how they named the products released thus far Meego 1.0 and 1.1. Truer names should be Meego 0.1 and 0.5 It sounds like what they are calling 1.3 will be worthy of a 1.0 number.

I'm really worried that there is going to be a "reference" version of Meego that is mostly open and then vendor specific versions that contain a pile of closed source stuff that is needed to actually make things work. If that is the case, its no better than Apple or Android.

I'll check back in April.

Last edited by me2000; 2010-10-25 at 05:20.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
My question is :
Will N900 get MeeGo v1.2 adaption ?
Yes. It pretty much drives the MeeGo Core + Handset ARM work, so we need a proper device to run tests against.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Yes. It pretty much drives the MeeGo Core + Handset ARM work, so we need a proper device to run tests against.
This isn't a fully functioning handset OS that can make calls, surf the web, and is fully functioning in all ways, is it?

Or is this a continuance of the developer builds that have placement text in some apps and areas and a genuine inability to make phone calls, send MMS/SMS, et al?

I think the confusion is what will be delivered by these promises. Something that looks good, or something that works well?

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
I am the thread author,

I wrote this thread in order to point out this :

I find that NOKIA will use its own UI on N9 and will not share this to INTEL or other vendor.

Other big vendors, like motorola, htc, SE, samsung will not use MeeGo as their OS, then.

About the coopreation of Intel and Nokia on MeeGo, intel and nokia has their own purpose.

So I do not think MeeGo will be successful in the future.

MeeGo is too late and even v1.1 can only use speaker in a phone call.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Other big vendors, like motorola, htc, SE, samsung will not use MeeGo as their OS, then.
Not yet. But remember when Sony was using Symbian? Or when HTC only use WinMo 6.x?

Things do change.

About the coopreation of Intel and Nokia on MeeGo, intel and nokia has their own purpose.
Of course they do. But in the end, with the Linux Foundation over the top of them both... what will be the worse that they can do to fulfill their own purposes?

So I do not think MeeGo will be successful in the future.
You say this as if its fact; but it's really your opinion. But I understand and see that your opinion is as viable as mine or any others.

MeeGo is too late and even v1.1 can only use speaker in a phone call.
Too late for what?

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
I haven't doped my n900 yet:
1. because I am broke,
2. because is has a Micro SD reader
3. maemo 1.3 may bring task descriptions
4. i don't care for a smart phone or meego
- i just want Maemo with Search, and a basic PIM like the palm OS

That said, I can't see meego succeeding mainly because it doesn't seem to have the community enthusiasm behind it that gave the NIT family what I believe to be a great foundation for a well positioned product.

This has been discussed to death, so we have to just wait and see. Now as a previous enthusiast, (early adopter) I can say for sure this is not something to try early, because it will take years to kick in, and Nokia, as demonstrated with maemo don't have what it takes to win out in the long run.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
(Re it driving the MeeGo Handset ARM work)

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This isn't a fully functioning handset OS that can make calls, surf the web, and is fully functioning in all ways, is it?

Or is this a continuance of the developer builds that have placement text in some apps and areas and a genuine inability to make phone calls, send MMS/SMS, et al?

I think the confusion is what will be delivered by these promises. Something that looks good, or something that works well?
Placement text is typical in UI under development and we've been able to make phonecalls and send SMS for a while now..

.. but let me try to phrase this correctly on what exactly 'drives the MeeGo Core+Handset ARM work' means - you ask good questions, hence you deserve a good answer - please read the links I refer to before answering, just to help you understand what's going on.

Let's start at the basic premise, MeeGo.com is a platform that gets released every six months - it's not an end-user product, but it's a platform that people can use to create end-user products with, with relative ease compared to making their own OS entirely. Bug fixes to features in the platform are delivered after release date as well.

Nokia N900 is a MeeGo reference device for MeeGo Core and Handset. This means in our daily work:

When a package submission/change is submitted into Trunk:Testing (the 'stage' for adding things to Trunk), QA is run using the reference devices to verify the change doesn't break anything on these.

Now, we have this roadmapping/requirements process, http://meego.com/developers/requirements - you can spot all the submitted requirements and their state here

For each of those requirements in platform these gets verified on both IA and ARM (provided they're not processor-specific). For the requirements belonging to Core and Handset, that means in practice, they get verified they're implemented on N900.

That means that N900 drives the MeeGo Core and Handset work on ARM - we need to have a implementation that satisfies platform requirements as we can't QA properly without those.

In addition to that, we find requirement gaps during implementation and in the QA results, feeding back into the requirements process.

So, when we have a platform requirement to provide a reference web browser, we need to have one that works on N900. QA results may say that audio needs to switch from ear piece to speakers based on if you're making a call or not, feeds back into the requirements process that we need an audio policy daemon.

If a reference implementation doesn't work well, people will naturally be wary of basing anything on top of it, so there is a sense of quality to be accomplished. Does it need to look good?

Naturally, but it needs to properly showcase platform ability, sell a platform, not an end-user product - so there's a difference in how much polish is needed.

I think the level of polish needed is high, of course - but in the end one reason for the cartoonish look is to make sure people customize the UI, themes, etc. The UI framework is very capable.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Then the N900 is clearly not for you. As for me, I hate carrying more than one device, have no use for tethering, it works fine for me as both a phone and a tablet and I'm a happy user.

Different strokes for different folks. That's why there's so many choices on the market. But I don't get it - why complain here? I don't waste my time complaining in iPhone forums about why the iPhone sucks. I just don't buy one.
Why complain here? Are you joking? If you looked above, I was responding to BRooster. I, otherwise, agree with you--and what you're saying provides MORE ammunition to my point, that Nokia should have made a tablet. Give me choice. They started out well, but now there aren't a whole lot of choices from Nokia that fit what I wanted, after the N800. Which is why I hope MeeGo will be the start of something decent. I'm highly doubtful, but still somewhat hopeful.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
troll, trololololol