Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Now tell me how they should get the money for a second Jolla?

Yet another kickstart? Or do you think investors take a second chance push even more money in the company without payout?
The same way they got it so far. Jolla said that using kickstart was not really about raising money (as development and design of the HW was already nearly finished at the time) but gaining publicity. Also, at Intel's press release it's mentioned that devices equipped with Atom X3 SOC will be released from partners including Jolla. So, it's not that far fetched to expect new Jolla phone to emerge.

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
The Intel Atom Z3580 performed very well, much better than I had anticipated. Benchmarks pit it at more or less the QSD 801 level of performance, with it being better at somethings and worse in others.

Unfortunately, the Intel Atom X3 SoC's won't bring an improvement.
It's more like a rebadge. Both SoC's will be based on the (now) old 28nm fabrication.

The real surprises will come from the Intel Atom X5 and X7, which move to 14nm process. The X5 will be found on tablets, and is estimated to match ARM in terms of efficiency and power. So that it would be more or less competitive against the Tegra K1, Exynos 7420, and QSD 820.

The X7 will hit large tablets, hybrids, Chromebooks and budget laptops. I believe the Intel Core X7 will be close to matching the efficiency and power of the Core M. Thus Intel would be intrigued to scrap the Core M and replace it with the Atom X7.

Leaving customers the choice of Intel Atom X3, X5, X7 and Intel Core i3, i5, i7.

The Intel Atom X3 comes in three suites. They're all for entry-level smartphones, but differ in the 3G/4G antenna, in the GPU, and the core count. Despite the cheap price, older fabrication process, and mid-tier performance... the Intel Atom X3 is nothing to scoff at. And Jolla would be wise to adopt it, as I know there will be devices on the market with it. Since MediaTek devices are practically banned from the Western-markets, there's a gap created by Qualcomm's mishap.

http://static.cdn-seekingalpha.com/u...35652511_1.jpg

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
If you're saying you'd rather have an excellent Sailfish Handset/Tablet partner (Sony would be nice -but who am I kidding) who's offering much better specs & BQ for the $.
Rather than a J2 that's similarly mediocre hw-wise as the J1 was (for the $), but with the hook of a "new & improved" TOH, well, we're probably in agreement there over which to pick.
that is what i am saying.

i can't see X3 being too interesting to either jolla or intel for sailfish.

it still leaves Jolla with the problem of ImgTec linux gpu drivers.
it isn't much of a flagship to drive interest in intel mobile hardware.

X5 for the win.

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Yes, but remember OtherHalf is a solution itself.
It's competing with touchscreen typing, which is fairly good on straightforward iOS. It's even better with predictive typing like that of SwiftKey, and gesture typing of Swype.

I know the majority of people would prefer on-screen typing over physical typing, if the trade-off is between a phone of Jolla's calibre and compared to one like the SGS4 or newer.
That's a good point. I agree that touchscreen typing needs to be improved if Jolla want to broaden their userbase to include more mainstream users (obviously, they do). I use "continuous input" on my Android tablet myself, but not because I think it's better than a keyboard - it just makes the lack of one bearable. Even with the best SW keyboard, I'd still not be satisfied without a HW keyboard.

Where on-screen keyboards suck is typing any kind of terminal command, selecting text for copying/pasting etc. I think the HW keyboard is a key part of getting technical users (the majority of sailors are quite tech savvy, right?) on board, and if Jolla put those people off then who will recommend Jolla to the masses?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2014 @ Bulgaria
Jolla - Phone
Jolla - Tablet
Next thing must be Jolla Phablet
Why they have to keep TOH thing? They don't ...
For me, the ideal variant will be a new Indiegogo campaign with two perks:
1st - 5.5 inch Jolla Phablet
2nd - 5.5 inch Jolla PRO Phablet (the one, with integrated HW keyboard)

Last edited by noobismall; 2015-05-31 at 13:19.

My nexus 5 battery is slowly degrading.
I a need Jolla 2, and in the US, pronto!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blinken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Blinken View Post
My nexus 5 battery is slowly degrading.
I a need Jolla 2, and in the US, pronto!
I can't argue With that. I needed one yestersay.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I needed one yestersay.
That darn need again!

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That darn need again!
I told you before. History use to repeat Itself.

But I think its becouse Im not a native english speaker.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-06-03 at 19:38.

Tags
jolla, jolla 2