Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
There is now an update which fixes an issue with finishing the two-way sync.

Originally Posted by kermit View Post
Thanks, now it works.

Some wishes and ideas:
- a progress bar
- the font is a bit small
- configuration of the font-color and background
- information about how many items are stored before and after the sync, new, updated or deleted

Anyway, thank you very much for your tool, I think there are many users interested because they are not so familiar with the command line.
- A progressbar seems not to be possible, unless syncevolution can provide me something. This really should come form the cli client and not the GUI..
- The font is that small, so you can see as much as possible. In normal use, you should not have to check the log at all
-The other things are IMHO nice to have. Up to now I only could register 7 downloads. So thats not a lot of users compared to the time I would have to invest into those features...

As a site note:
The sync is per default very slow, because it creates a complete dump of all data.
To speed this up, run the following 2 commands once:
syncevolution --configure printChanges=false $PEER$
syncevolution --configure dumpData=false $PEER$
See http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.com...evolution/3258 for more information.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
There is now an update which fixes an issue with finishing the two-way sync.

- A progressbar seems not to be possible, unless syncevolution can provide me something. This really should come form the cli client and not the GUI..
Yes, you are right.

- The font is that small, so you can see as much as possible. In normal use, you should not have to check the log at all.
I have another solution, I should buy some new glasses;-)

-The other things are IMHO nice to have. Up to now I only could register 7 downloads. So thats not a lot of users compared to the time I would have to invest into those features...
Only 7 downloads?? Oh man, I totally agree with you.

As a site note:
The sync is per default very slow, because it creates a complete dump of all data.
To speed this up, run the following 2 commands once:
syncevolution --configure printChanges=false $PEER$
syncevolution --configure dumpData=false $PEER$
See http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.com...evolution/3258 for more information.
Thanks for this hint, sounds interesting.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
The N9 is a small market, of which I reckon many users use Google services for PIM or simply no PIM at all. I myself stay clear of Google and do use SyncML, but since I've configured the built-in Buteo framework to sync with my provider I've found no reason to change anything.

I do am grateful for Syncevolution and the availability of a GUI for it I don't mind the occasional hacking in config files and do some command line magic, but I'd still prefer a GUI.

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I do am grateful for Syncevolution and the availability of a GUI for it I don't mind the occasional hacking in config files and do some command line magic, but I'd still prefer a GUI.
Same for me, thats why i made the GUI.
Once teh config is set up, there are no more changes needed.
A GUI now just makes it easier to launch the sync.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
A GUI now just makes it easier to launch the sync.
I've tried syncevolution before, and indeed it worked. But I don't want to sync manually. I strongly prefer automatic sync in the background. Buteo allows for this. When I add or change something in PIM, I just know it will be on my desktop as well within a few hours and vice versa.

So for me I'd use a gui primarily to setup and configure the account, much less for initiating a sync.

For my calendar I use CalDAV from the built in support in the N9. I run the sync once a day in the night (whe I am usually at home and hove wifi connection).

For the contacts I now use syncevoltion and my GUI. Since my contacts do not change on a daily base, I do not need automatic synchronisation.
How ever, if needed, you could run it with ProfileMatic I guess.
Since my Owncloud is accessible from the Internet, I also yould access and sync it when ever I need and have a internet connection.

BTW: Is somebody using khtNotes from Kerthan with Onwcloud? I tried it but could not get it working. (See here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=11)
and more...

Up to now I only could register 7 downloads. So thats not a lot of users compared to the time I would have to invest into those features...
Add me as a potential user soon enough. Just got me an N950 and N9 and plan on using syncevolution for all my PIM sync needs. Will gladly donate as well.

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
...But I don't want to sync manually. I strongly prefer automatic sync in the background. Buteo allows for this...
What is Buteo actually doing?
Is it a plugin for the existing N9 framework?
Is there a working package available?
Or is it (up to now) just a list of requirements without a real implementation?
and more...

What is Buteo actually doing?
Is it a plugin for the existing N9 framework?
Is there a working package available?
Or is it (up to now) just a list of requirements without a real implementation?
It's the synchronisation framework of MeeGo. The N9 has it built-in, so its very real and works quite well. I guess it's used for USB/wired synching with PC Suite or whatever todays bloatware is called. It is probably not as configurable and versatile as syncevolution though. Still it leaves one wondering why Nokia decided that a GUI for this very useful feature was less important than a crappy facebook app.

Since it's part of MeeGo I guess we might see it again in Sailfish.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81712 for more details.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Buteo seems to be great and a built in sync of course would be nicer.
How ever as far as i can see, it seems not to work with CardDAV and over Wifi/3G.
So there seems not yet to be a way around syncevolution...
and more...