Spoke my friend tnx for your help!! But problem is still there, anyway last nigh i remembered that i heard something about red pill so i searched a bit and i learned how to use it and told huh lets give it a shot, so i used red pill and install that .deb file AND IT WORKS and the most important thing nothing goes wrong ...
but i still have a problem with xterminal when i type dpkg he allways sad unknown option -/ -g,-n etc...so bizzare, so i would like if someone know what's the problem to tell me how to solve it... anyway thank you very much again for your patience, and it would be nice if you would be able to resolve the problem whit xterminal for future operations...

Last edited by Serbia; 2010-01-06 at 10:18.

Originally Posted by Serbia View Post
Spoke my friend tnx for your help!! But problem is still there, anyway last nigh i remembered that i heard something about red pill so i searched a bit and i learned how to use it and told huh lets give it a shot, so i used red pill and install that .deb file AND IT WORKS and the most important thing nothing goes wrong ...
but i still have a problem with xterminal when i type dpkg he allways sad unknown option -/ -g,-n etc...so bizzare, so i would like if someone know what's the problem to tell me how to solve it... anyway thank you very much again for your patience, and it would be nice if you would be able to resolve the problem whit xterminal for future operations...
I'm happy you got it working! Just remember what was said some pages back, red pill can be quite dangerous if you make any mistakes, so remember to turn it off (enable blue pill instead) now that you have installed the .deb.

About installing the package manually with dpkg I'm really out of ideas, there must be some step that you are missing and/or doing wrong. I was thinking to make a screencast of the procedure and put it on youtube to clear it up once and for all, but unfortunately the load-applet application that is used for screencasts seems somewhat bugged atm. (it just records a black screen). Once it gets fixed I'll see what I can do.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
@Serbia: you can post us a screenshot so we see exactly what's going wrong. Just press ctrl-shift-p immediately after you get the error and attach the screenshot file (it will be in MyDocs/.images/Screenshots - warning, .images might be a hidden directory).

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Here's the first release of fmtx-faker.

It's only been tested on my N900 which has it enabled by default, anyway, so reports are appreciated.

It's hardcoded to send back "other/50" (see /etc/sysinfod.conf); that will be configurable in a later release.

Install and reboot.

Oh, I also take no responsibility if you happen to get arrested whilst using the transmitter. Enjoy.
Well done for this again. I need to try have afiddle around with this again as I don't think anyone else has reported problems - so hopefully it was something else I was doing. But basically I installed this and on enabling the transmitter, the N900 completely froze. After about 30 seconds and still no response, I decided to try turn it off. When holding the power button down it did restart itself. Going near the transmitter caused things to slow down - but it did work.

After a full reboot (me switching it off then on) it seemed a lot better, but I still believe it was slower - maybe I'm just paranoid though!
I managed to call Nokia in the end and apparently my UK device is actually for the Netherlands and I therefore need to send it in to get replaced once more! Though I am wondering whether to just use this fix instead and keep it.

I uninstalled it in the end as I needed to speak with Nokia about the disabled FM transmitter fault (being a [supposedly] UK device).
When I get a chance, I'll see if the problem crops up again on reinstalling - or if it was a one off!

Just so you know - I'm far from dissing this - I just thought I'd give the feedback from my situation. This has been a lot better help than Nokia!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
fmtx-faker 0.3 is now in extras-devel. [INSERT EXTRAS-DEVEL WARNING HERE]

It contains bug fixes, and the ability to configure the fmtx-mode now (run fmtx-faker-tool from X Terminal).

I recommend doing two things:
  • Reading the package's description; and
  • if you already have 0.1/0.2 installed, dpkg --purge fmtx-faker before installing the newer version.

For those wanting an explanation of what it does... Well, the source is available.

Patches appreciated; source is here.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-05-14 at 16:36.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Ads View Post
Well done for this again. I need to try have afiddle around with this again as I don't think anyone else has reported problems - so hopefully it was something else I was doing. But basically I installed this and on enabling the transmitter, the N900 completely froze. After about 30 seconds and still no response, I decided to try turn it off. When holding the power button down it did restart itself. Going near the transmitter caused things to slow down - but it did work.

After a full reboot (me switching it off then on) it seemed a lot better, but I still believe it was slower - maybe I'm just paranoid though!
I managed to call Nokia in the end and apparently my UK device is actually for the Netherlands and I therefore need to send it in to get replaced once more! Though I am wondering whether to just use this fix instead and keep it.

I uninstalled it in the end as I needed to speak with Nokia about the disabled FM transmitter fault (being a [supposedly] UK device).
When I get a chance, I'll see if the problem crops up again on reinstalling - or if it was a one off!

Just so you know - I'm far from dissing this - I just thought I'd give the feedback from my situation. This has been a lot better help than Nokia!
Not trying to avert the blame from me or fmtx-faker, but if you were able to bring up the control panel applet to enable the transmitter, FMTX Faker has done its job.

FMTX Faker does not do anything other than return a value telling the fmtx daemon that the transmitter is enabled; it does modify fmtxd to get that value from my daemon, but it does not interfere in how fmtxd actually uses the transmitter.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Not trying to avert the blame from me or fmtx-faker, but if you were able to bring up the control panel applet to enable the transmitter, FMTX Faker has done its job.

FMTX Faker does not do anything other than return a value telling the fmtx daemon that the transmitter is enabled; it does modify fmtxd to get that value from my daemon, but it does not interfere in how fmtxd actually uses the transmitter.
Oh yes - I appreciate that. I just thought it od how everything froze up - that is most likely my device, as in some flakey part of the FM Transmitter. Obviously no one else reported that either - so I'm sure it's a one off - or I'm extra sensitive to the daemon running and using resources ) (Only joking).

Thanks again for this, it is obviously a huge help for a lot of people.

One other thing though - do you know if the Media Player application does it's own check around the transmitter? I didn't play with this for long, so forgive me if I'm missing things or making them up!
I believe I should be able to control the FMTX from the media player program - but I had no option to. I know that isn't to do with your program - but thought I'd check what your thoughts were on this - i.e. have I missed something, or does media player do it's own check whereby it doesn't see the faker so offers no options for control (assuming it does on working devices)?

I hope that makes sense anyway! Also well done for the update - this is becoming an even nicer little package.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ads View Post
Oh yes - I appreciate that. I just thought it od how everything froze up - that is most likely my device, as in some flakey part of the FM Transmitter. Obviously no one else reported that either - so I'm sure it's a one off - or I'm extra sensitive to the daemon running and using resources ) (Only joking).

Thanks again for this, it is obviously a huge help for a lot of people.

One other thing though - do you know if the Media Player application does it's own check around the transmitter? I didn't play with this for long, so forgive me if I'm missing things or making them up!
I believe I should be able to control the FMTX from the media player program - but I had no option to. I know that isn't to do with your program - but thought I'd check what your thoughts were on this - i.e. have I missed something, or does media player do it's own check whereby it doesn't see the faker so offers no options for control (assuming it does on working devices)?

I hope that makes sense anyway! Also well done for the update - this is becoming an even nicer little package.
Thank you.

You're right - the Media Player does do its own check and hides/shows the option accordingly. Thanks for that; I hadn't noticed as it shows for me anyway. That's another TODO for 0.3.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
It would be better in my opinion if u withdraw version 0.2, occupy with the enchanments and give the new 0.2 or 0.3 as it be completed with all features. What do u think?

Thank you.

You're right - the Media Player does do its own check and hides/shows the option accordingly. Thanks for that; I hadn't noticed as it shows for me anyway. That's another TODO for 0.3.
Great - I'm glad that was useful - I was just trying it all again to see if I was being stupid or not!
Also, just to let you know - I installed your second version and apart from a slight pause on activating the transmitter (I assume the pause is normal for the transmitter anyway) - it completed smoothly - as in no device coming to a standstill and restarting!

So yeah - all in all, pretty good! Now I'll see how it works in the car on the way home!
Then I have the tough decision as to whether I should get a replacement from Nokia for what I actually paid for - or go with the community spirit and use your fix instead