Posts: 81 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Nagoya, Japan
Originally Posted by Duy2anh View Post
I tried toMOTko with scim module exported as default. It works fine but you still have to close the physical keyboard and tap on the screen to enter Japanese characters
Do you think it's a bug from scim or is it a feature? Maybe someone should file a bug report if it's not already done.

Originally Posted by FBergeron View Post
Do you think it's a bug from scim or is it a feature? Maybe someone should file a bug report if it's not already done.
I think it is a bug from scim but related to qt because the same problem occurs with Qstardict. Gjiten has no such problem.
The status menu of maemocjk-him-scim-anthy also changes its position by itself ad I cannot make it return to where it should stay. This happens when I install something else, but can't remember which, so can't tell what it conflicts with.
If this scim anthy thing works like Atok or IME on windows it 'll be perfect.
I think the creator of this nice input module well awares of the problems but seems he is so preoccupied with Meego to fix them

The Following User Says Thank You to Duy2anh For This Useful Post:
To Kumainjapan-san
Sorry I can't reply private message (don't know how yet) so I post it here because it is not off-topic.
If you read all the posts on this thread, all the confirmation you need is there. Just insert the softbank sim and you can make calls, sms without problems.
The N900 find open information stored on the sim and automatically set up an APN called Softbank Mobile Internet, with crazily expensive rate not covered by any of softbank discount plan. Before using internet, go to connection setting and edit this connection using instruction on my post or similar, and you will be able to enjoy softbank unlimited data plan.
For S!Mail, which is MMS, I still cannot make it work on my N900 eventhough many have claimed to have made it using fMMS app.
If you make a google search on Softbank setting, you will see the general advice is not to ask softbank directly, not to show your N900 to them, keep your profile low in case you have trouble with over charged. This is, sadly, the truth. Softbank staff can even put a ban on your phone imei, which is the worst, because you will not be able to put any japanese sim in to use at all. So don't ask them about phone they don't sell. You have many kind and ready-to-help friends here on this forum and on internet.
"Softbank will find out and block your phone" kind of reply from japanese staff is, to me, empty threat. Don't worry. They won't be able to. As far as I can guess: softbank asks phone makers to put proper useragents to those phone to be use on softbank, lock down those function softbank don't want to be used on their network, like PC direct, internet sharing, internet modem...(That is maybe why it takes so long, if ever, for a nokia phone to have softbank firmware update)
So if you find our proper useragent for the relevant phone, you can use any foreign phone on softbank network without problems.
The only warning applicable is, even in unlimited package plan, softbank can ban your internet access if your internet data is over 300'000 yen/month (I haven't tried, so can't confirm)

The Following User Says Thank You to Duy2anh For This Useful Post:
Duy2anh
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if you received the private message or not because I never thought to check here. Ha.
Well, to answer your question about the unlimited package plan, I have the unlimited package plan with Softbank at the moment and I use over 40,000 yen in internet data a month, that that pales in comparison to the 300,000 yen a month setting.
I have been hesitant on buying a n900 because of Softbank's strict rules. I've had a friend before that has had callerID and SMS problems with an older unlocked Nokia on Softbank's service.
Thanks for the reply. I'll think on it more before making a plunge. It sounds like you have to be very careful when using an unlocked phone on their services. That's very aggravating.

Originally Posted by kumainjapan View Post
(...) I have the unlimited package plan with Softbank at the moment and I use over 40,000 yen in internet data a month, that that pales in comparison to the 300,000 yen a month setting.
Since I started using N900 four months ago, my data rate is always between 120,000 and 180,000 except this month when I have to be in non-wireless area for 3 weeks, the rate is 260,000 yen and counting up right now. All covered by 4410 yen unlimited package.

I have been hesitant on buying a n900 because of Softbank's strict rules. I've had a friend before that has had callerID and SMS problems with an older unlocked Nokia on Softbank's service.
Don't ask japanese staff what they don't have in hand, because the answer is always a NO.
I don't have any problem with callerID or SMS, only unsolved problem with S!Mail (MMS)

I'll think on it more before making a plunge. It sounds like you have to be very careful when using an unlocked phone on their services. That's very aggravating.

Yes, you should be careful not to bring your phone to their shop to ask for anything. They just want to sell their services on their jailed phones.
Japanese laws is changing and sooner or later Japanese MB network companies will have to publicize their settings to users, just be patient.
While waiting, check this: Docomo is giving out free Samsung Galaxy for new 2-year contractors.

iv been running a B-Mobile SIM the past month down here in Okinawa. Works like a champ, however I only get 30min of voice calls if I initiate the call. Of course, if I'm called, then it doesnt deduct from my limit. Data is unlimited and runs well. Good enough for skype audio calls, and video calls work well (though not perfectly).
It all runs over the Docomo network, so I get excellent coverage (Softbank coverage is complete garbage in Oki).

Like others have said, dont bring or mention the n900 to any mobile phone store unless you are looking to waste an hour of your time.

The Following User Says Thank You to hallgreng For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
@wmarone

Regarding the query below from Duy2anh about loosing the onscreen input window, you have mentioned about "wrapping in a shell script". Could you help provide an example of how this can be done, perhaps for EBView.

Also on a related note, you mentioned about using EBView. The search word input field on EBView seem to be so small. Have you any work around to make this input field appear a little bigger.. This Search word input field is so small that you dont see what is being input there..

TiA
Shin

Originally Posted by Duy2anh View Post
This method work well too, but as a trade-off, I lose the symbol table. So whenever I need some symbols, I have to go to the file and delete the added line, reboot the phone!
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Yes.
My solution to that is two-fold:

1) Applications I want to run using Japanese all the time I have wrapped in a shell script that sets those variables before running the program. Currently, only EBView is set up this way for Japanese dictionaries.

2) By default, anything not flagged like that can be used by closing the keyboard and tapping a second time in the input field, which brings up an input window. You can type into this using the IME like you normally would.

The Following User Says Thank You to shin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shin View Post
@wmarone

Regarding the query below from Duy2anh about loosing the onscreen input window, you have mentioned about "wrapping in a shell script". Could you help provide an example of how this can be done, perhaps for EBView.
This post would pop up the day I forget my phone at home.

Basically it's a shell script that looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM #case matters for this variable!
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim

/opt/ebview/ebview
Something along those lines. I'll update when I get my N900 after lunch. The end result is that SCIM and Anthy will work for the application started by the script, and directly into input fields. They will still require the virtual keyboard intercept elsewhere, and won't interfere with the special keys VKB.

Also on a related note, you mentioned about using EBView. The search word input field on EBView seem to be so small. Have you any work around to make this input field appear a little bigger.. This Search word input field is so small that you dont see what is being input there..
I disabled quite a few of the buttons, as they were causing crashes when I tapped them. I'll post a screenshot later that shows what it looks like for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
wmarone

Thank you for the shell wrapper. I would appreciate if you could confirm the set up on your n900 and also pointers on how an icon to this effect can be created. I am thinking of updating the path ( wrapper shell script) to EBview icon on the Catorize menu.

On the EBView input field, I have tried all possible menu disabling combinations. Your screen shot and setup would definitely help. I am wondering how the EBView menus are appearing in japanese for him..

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kuma-tetsu/20100126/1264461748

This ( Japanese menu) makes the Search input field a bit more visible

Last edited by shin; 2011-01-14 at 19:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to shin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shin View Post
wmarone

Thank you for the shell wrapper. I would appreciate if you could confirm the set up on your n900 and also pointers on how an icon to this effect can be created. I am thinking of updating the path ( wrapper shell script) to EBview icon on the Catorize menu.
I just created a PNG with the character 広 (mostly because I have Kojien on here,) centered in it, and created the necessary .desktop file for it. Took a while for the icon to actually appear, and I did it months ago so I'm kinda rusty.

On the EBView input field, I have tried all possible menu disabling combinations. Your screen shot and setup would definitely help. I am wondering how the EBView menus are appearing in japanese for him.
I trimmed all of those arrow buttons, and let the search box expand to fill the rest of the space. That did require editing the program's source code and recompiling. I, unfortunately, am not familiar with packaging things properly so my "install" is basically a tarball I unpacked on my device. Kimitake probably did a lot more work on EBView, he even posted his Qt port I saw at the MeeGo Day event back in September:

http://kimitakeblog.net/item/756

Which, as I remember, was much better suited to the N900's screen size. Had I known it was posted, I would probably have moved on to it earlier

The menus there are probably due to setting the LANG environment variable, likely LANG=ja_JP.UTF8 or similar, you could set those in the script as well.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-01-14 at 21:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post: