hi all,
just got my n810 about 3/4 days ago and i have a few questions.
1. i charged the battery completely and with moderate use everyday, the battery appeared low today (about 3 or 4 days after initial charging) is this normal?
2. also, downloaded canola and it's lastfm plugin. however, the last fm radio doesn't work. something about a server problem. how can i fix this? do i have to install some other canola plugin for the lastfm radio to work? or is vagalume a better alternative?
3. another battery life question: i have the wifi off when not in use, backlight is down, all apps closed when not in use. should i be doing more to preserve battery life? is it normal to have to charge the device every 3 to 5 days? also, how does the battery do when the wifi is off, and just listening to music like an ipod?

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
You're worried about a battery that lasts for 3-5 days? o_o

You'd be lucky if a laptop lasted 8 hours with moderate use on a powersaving feature. I usually leave my device unused for 2-3 days and have to recharge and it's "semi" brand new. Be happy it lasts as long as it does!

Listening to music drains battery life a bit more than if you left it alone, but I can't say for if battery does better with WiFi off while listening to music since I never have WiFi off and can't/won't test it as such.

Jesse~

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Van Nuys, Ca
Regarding Canola & Last.fm, my understanding is that if you live outside the United States, Last.fm has blocked access. Please refer to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=lastfm for more information.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
hi all,
1. i charged the battery completely and with moderate use everyday, the battery appeared low today (about 3 or 4 days after initial charging) is this normal?
3. another battery life question: i have the wifi off when not in use, backlight is down, all apps closed when not in use. should i be doing more to preserve battery life? is it normal to have to charge the device every 3 to 5 days? also, how does the battery do when the wifi is off, and just listening to music like an ipod?
I get 6 to 8 hours running WiFi on a charge. I set brightness for 50% and screen to blank out after 5 minutes of non use. Actually, I keep a fully charged battery in a charger at work and another fully charged battery in a charger at home. A third battery is in my N800. I never plug my N800 into a charger, just change batteries.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2009-07-13 at 21:07.

Originally Posted by gmak View Post
hi all,
Fairly normal; depends on your level of "moderate" use.
3. another battery life question: i have the wifi off when not in use, backlight is down, all apps closed when not in use. should i be doing more to preserve battery life?
No, not really; in fact closing most apps isn't even helpful; only a few (including the web browser) tend to churn unnecessarily, and those ones will usually kill a full battery overnight. I tend to always close the web browser, but the best thing is to install one of the CPU meter applets and make sure nothings hogging CPU.
is it normal to have to charge the device every 3 to 5 days?
Like I said before, depends on usage. For me, it was normal (with a stock battery) to charge every night or at most every second night, and often during the day as well, but I use it a lot harder than most.
also, how does the battery do when the wifi is off, and just listening to music like an ipod?
About 6 hours minimum at normal listening volume on my earphones.

If that level of battery life is an issue for you, you might get the 3.6Ah battery from Mugen; it does give over twice the life. Like I said, I use the tablet heavier, so sometimes I wouldn't make it through the day without it, but that's rarely an issue with the Mugen. Not sure it'd be worth it in your case, instead of just getting used to plugging it in more often, since it's already lasting you several days, you can let it charge overnight.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
thank you everyone! you've been a real help!
also, where is the best place to get a mugen battery? and what else does it do besides increase battery life? and sorry if this sounds stupid, but what exactly is a mugen battery?

First post in this thread has a link

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=22811

The discussion may answer some of your questions but it's just a hi-cap battery.
Note it is deeper than the stock battery and comes with a deep back cover to accommodate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
ok thanks guys! ill definitely keep that option open.
also, i have a few more questions.
1. is the n810 compatible with macs? like can i transfer music?
2. what are some must have apps that dont run too heavily in terms of battery life?

thank you for your input.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
gmak, if you want to thank someone you can click the Thanks! button in the bottom right of their post.

BTW, I use mine almost everyday as an MP3 player - currently with about 190 CD's - I use Canola which I like because of the scrolling album art.

Cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
is the n810 prone to windows viruses???