Notices

Originally Posted by xmob View Post
Is this the kind of application that you guys would use?
Attachment 4270
Yes, I used to be looking for something like that. But my primary need at the time was filled with the browser or Pidgin on the N810.

I am sure there are still plenty of things it can be used for, though :B

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The Windows SideShow Universal Driver does support USB, but that would require OTG mode.
Is that right? Wouldn't the Maemo device be a USB client, with the Windows PC the host?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
You know what? You're correct!

I had a dumb moment a while ago, and it's stuck in my head since.

I still think it'll be more effort than it's worth, but I'll look into it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
Currently, (I'm not sure if this is a bug in the program or if slow bluetooth transfer speeds are to blame) the program does not load my rss feeds. It keeps on saying "waiting for data" even while all the other gadgets are loaded.
Just had a thought. Are your RSS feeds subscribed using something other than IE? That might have something to do with it.

Just had a thought. Are your RSS feeds subscribed using something other than IE? That might have something to do with it.
I did export my RSS feeds from my desktop Vista machine to import into Google Reader. I then took the exported Google Reader file and imported it into Internet Explorer on my laptop (with Vista). So everything has been imported into the Internet Explorer/Microsoft rss system (whatever that is). I can see all my feeds using the default Vista sidebar gadget on my desktop, so I thought they would be able to work just as well on a sideshow device. I'm guessing there is something wrong with this assumption? I can certainly add the rss feeds and select them to show up as sideshow gadgets, but I get the error message I described previously.

I would certainly like them to work, but if there is that much of a delay in the gadgets (caused by the gadgets/whatever else), mSideShow wouldn't be a viable quick rss browser, anyway. Are there any other gadgets you would recommend that you find work well in mSideShow?

There's definately something about the RSS feed gadget. It seems to send ALL it's feed data to SideShow devices on connection. While it's easy to blame the gadget, that's no good for the end user. I think moving some of the code about might help with this. However, this won't happen soon. (See my next post).

I'm having great fun with the SideTunes gadget. This is a good one to prove that Bluetooth is speedy enough. Changing tracks is almost instantaneous. The playtime seconds counter almost keeps up also. The SideFlick gadget is responsive, and that includes images. The System Health gadget also works ok.

I don't want to sound anti-MS, but the 2 gadgets that have caused me problems have both been Microsoft ones.

Another update:
Some basic support for content pages.
Back key changed to Cancel key.
Navigation buttons supported on content pages.
Added a splash screen.
Changed font handling routines to use system fonts (better theme matching).
Content pages give button hints.
Improved menu support.
I have made this release because I need to back off from this project for a while in order to complete some other (paying) ones. I will still keep track of any bug reports and feature requests. Hopefully, development will start again in a couple of weeks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
I've just tried the RSS gadget in the simulator, and there doesn't appear to be any problems there. That seems to indicate that it's my code.

I just send you a private message.

The Following User Says Thank You to harriva For This Useful Post:
I couldn't resist spending more time on mSideShow.

I have now made the application multi threaded, which makes a VAST improvement on updates etc. It's now VERY fast.

I've been looking into the RSS feed problem. It does seem to be a problem with the RSS gadget, the issue is replicated on the SideShow simulator. It seems I was lucky the last time I tried. I'm going to contact Microsoft about this issue.

The multi-threading update has introduced a slight bug that occasionally happens with screen redraws. Sometimes one thread displays a dialogue, while another updates it. This should be simple to fix, so I'll hold off releasing an update until I've sorted it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:

Tags
sideshow, sideshow bob, windows