Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Been watching Tablets come and go waiting for the right time to get one. What's currently good in the Market?

1. Wait for Nokia Tablet? As I'm a big fan of Nokia
2. IPad 3? For some reason I never liked Apple Products
3. Samsung? I hate Android
4. Widows Tablets? Maybe this might be the best bet since they come packed with Windows 8 Tablet Version.

Have I missed any good ones I'm not aware of?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
wait surface pro or simular. leave these mobile OSes behind and move forward!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
It depends, what do you want to get out of a tablet?
Will it be replacing any pre-existing devices?
Do you care for mobile games?
What's your budget?
Perfect size?

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-09-14 at 04:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Don't support Apple - they are outright crooks. That said, I'm simply not getting any tablet until there will be some stable release of PlasmaActive/Mer for one of them. Vivaldi was supposed to come out, but they are delayed with unknown timeline.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Alright, I've just gotta ask: what do you do with a tablet? I honestly don't understand. Other than the idea of carrying around a little TV in your hand, I'm not sure what the fascination is with them. If you want to play games on the go, a PSP-like device that you can actually grip with your hands while playing would seem much better. If you just want to handle e-mail or browse the web, you've still gotta either hold it in one hand while pecking at it with your finger, or lay it flat on a nearby surface and try to use a virtual on-screen keyboard. And doing any real work on it seems totally impossible. (Unless, of course, you add an external keyboard, at which point you've just made it into a normal laptop.)

So, from what I see, that pretty much just leaves option #1; you mostly just sit and stare at the thing. What do you folks actually do with these things? Do you really feel that you've gotten your money's worth spending your time with them?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nexus 7 if you want the smaller size. I'm personally loving mine.

I have the new iPad. I can't say that it's a joy all of the time. Google Chrome, et al is great and there's a few apps - like Fifty Three - that make it totally worthwhile.

But in the end, I can live mostly on my Android tablet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I have a 64GB Playbook and it's awesome hardware. The 2.0 OS is not hackable (via Dingleberry hack) so there's a tradeoff there (you can downgrade). But I think it's a truly underrated tablet.
I also have an older Archos 2.2 Android tablet. I bought it for the 250gb HD inside--which is unique to Archos. But the hardware quality just isn't to the level of the Playbook or Apple.

Last edited by lancewex; 2012-09-14 at 01:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Playbook (love bridge)
Also have a Asus TF300TG Transformer and SG Tab 2.
wife uses the Samsng and I keep the Transformer as a great little note taking/email sending laptop replacement (the Alienware is just too big to drag around) when on the go.
love the fact that the transformer keyboard gives a range of expansion options as well as additional battery.
Playbook with OS 2 now comes with Android compatibility through emulation.
Waiting to see what the BB10 $10k dev incentive brings to the OS in the way of additional apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Okay I decided to help make the choice easier for you, and separated them into categories:

1-Buy a craplet (crap tablet knockoff), these are now at acceptable quality with acceptable features close to a hundred dollars.
Eg, Ainol Novo7 Crystal (under $140)

2-Buy a "freemium" tablet. One that's about comparable to a craplet but from a name brand source.
Eg, Nexus 7 ($200 - 250)
Eg, Kindle Fire HD ($199)

3-Buy a used high-end specced Android tablet that was release "last gen" with community support.
Eg, ASUS Transformer Prime for (<$300)

4-Buy an enthusiasts tablet. Something that's better than the alternatives when it comes down to a select set of features.
Eg, RIM PlayBook
Eg, Vivaldi Linux Tablet

5-Buy a used, cheap, 32GB Wifi iPad2.
Is the best tablet out there, with decent features.

6-Or splurge big on the new iPad. It comes with limitations to hardware, price and software but its ahead of the curve.... and without a doubt the best tablet there is.

-I wouldn't recommend WinRT tablets. Not only are they not out yet, the softwares been shown to be buggy, and limited. Don't touch until 1-2 years when it matures.

7-If anything look for a Win8PRO tablet or convertable. Sure enough, your losing an hour charge everyday but the speed improvements, stability and backwards compatibility makes up for it. Pricey, but it makes sense since its supposed to replace your laptop/desktop (which an iPad cannot accomplish yet).

*Wildcard*
Get a "large" smartphone and a "small" laptop, no room for tablets.
Eg/ Galaxy NOTE 2 + ASUS Transformer Book 11in <<- Recommended!

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-09-14 at 04:29.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
If you don't mind the size, go for an hp 27x0 convertible. It's a bit ugly but build quality is good and performance is great.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: