Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Thanks. Yes, those were the errors I was receiving earlier. After doing some Google searching, I gave up.

I've been getting familiar with running Scratchbox and the Maemo testing environment via andLinux. I even made a rough debian package (for the first time) of xkbd that installed in Scratchbox, but I hadn't created an icon for the menu in order to start it, then I noticed your debian of xkbd appears to be of the same source version, so installed it.

I guess all packages must be installed via the Scratchbox terminal, not the Application Manager? (Maybe I need to be in Red Pill Mode ...)

I'm just going to be playing around while you real developers make magic.

Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Greetings OSEmuTech!

Hey, I was wondering if you could look over a post that I made here...
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...?t=8114&page=6

I really would like to see my vertical keyboard launch much easier than the hassle that's currently needed to get it going.

Any chance you would be willing to make Xkbd launch on the left side of the screen or recompile it so that it will accept +0+0 geometry arguments?

That would be incredibly awesome if you can figure this one out!

I know that my vertical keyboard isn't the greatest, but if it were to be airbrushed a little, possibly have some nicer coloring, I think it's probably the best way to have it launch within the tool bar side of the screen so it's not in the way of anything.

Well, tell me what you're thinking when you have the chance.

Cheers buddy!

Certainly Addison! I'll spend time tomorrow seeing if I can build upon your keyboard layout.

Though I think the Xlibs, libxpm4, and/or libxau0 packages need to be brought up to date for OS 2008 before xkbd will work decently for most users.

I'm NIT-ed out tonight.

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:
Sweetness dude!

Looking forward to hearing back from you either on Monday or Tuesday.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Sweetness dude!

Looking forward to hearing back from you either on Monday or Tuesday.
It's taken me hours to get this far. It looks like the -geometry switch has to be made via a terminal prompt (I was hoping maybe it could be done in the keyboard map). But I'm still messing with it ...

Last edited by OSEmuTech; 2008-02-26 at 01:40.

It's taken me hours to get this far. It looks like the -geometry switch has to be made via a terminal prompt (I was hoping maybe it could be done in the keyboard map). But I'm still messing with it ...
Well, that was disappointing to hear... Weep. Sob.

I thought there would be at least one line of coding where it's offsetting the X and Y axis to display at the bottom right side of the screen. I was hoping that someone, like yourself, could null that coding out so it would start at the top left edge of the screen.

But keep working at it! You can do it!!!

Oh, and hey, um, you're custom keyboard that you just posted, that, well, ... that's really a horrible looking turd.

No, I mean it! Too many columns don't line up correctly.

But no worries dude, you should have seen my first attempt. It was one gawdy looking horrible searing nightmare of unimaginable dilapidated disgust and seizure inducing grewsomeness.

Also, for any games and such that requires number inputs for direction, you probably should have those keys lined up correctly like that of the numpad on your home computer.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but hey, I wasn't the first to go off topic here.

*Points at OSEmuTech*

I just updated the image after fixing the alignment and adding a caps lock since the last image update.

I'm not much of a developer, but I'm sure the code xkbd can be hardcoded for a set geometry arguement. Just that it would always launch and reside on the left side.

So now I'm looking at creating a shell script that would launch osso-xterm full screen and then run

xkbd -geometry -1-1 | dosbox

Wow, good to hear that you're still at it! I trust and respect your judgment, so don't screw this up!

xkbd -geometry -1-1 | dosbox
Even though that's the only way to get it to line up correctly on the left and top side of the screen, you know that it completely breaks the minimize and maximize buttons. So once you minimize your custom keyboard, the only thing that can be done from that point is to kill it in Xterm and relaunch it once again. Very frustrating, so I'm wishing you the best of luck on this.

Well, gotta go for the rest of the night. Hope to hear back from you again tomorrow.

Cheers dude!

Humm... I've seen you guys have made some progress on the stella atari port since I left the first message. Well, seeing so much enthusiasm left me also enthusiastic and I will try to get my hans dirty too. Can any of you guys point me to a good guide on developping for maemo?

Thanks

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
That's the first time i've heard it called 'a hans'.

If you're interested in SDL programming, sdl.org has good references and sample programs you can compile on linux and windows. To get started with maemo in general, look to maemo.org for howtos. To get a pre-made development environment, search for "maemo vmware appliance".

For ppl really starting from scratch, i'd suggest first learning to compile already written programs on linux, Then sit down with something like Sam's "learning C in 21 days". Then find a simple, small program that interests you and start looking into the source to see how it works, make small changes, and go from there.

(edit) some good sdl game tutorials
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-03-02 at 13:50. Reason: added tutorials page