Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by amarjyoti View Post
Benny1967 I agree with you.

Nokia is doing it's bit with Koffice and QT. We need to hear more.
but if they dont.... and just assume tgey won't... how could this community (or one interested blogger) step in? where to get the "summary of activities during the last 2 weeks"?

Symbian is being made open source because of Nokia.

For other stuff that has made a difference to the open source community (some mentioned on the Wiki page)

Sofia-sip - used in Maemo (and I think symbian) also used to create freeswitch

Hildon - Ubuntu Netbook

Telepathy - Default IM in Ubuntu and possibly other distros

Qt contribution cannot be overestimated, really. Full graphical development framework with its own IDE, documentation etc. on very liberal Open Source license.
Interesting that Nokia doesn't list it on opensource contributions. Ah - this is old site, only GTK related notes and last copyright is 2007.

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by greygoo View Post
They seem to have done quite some contirbutions to the kernel itself in the past:
http://lwn.net/Articles/301380/ lists them on place 5 under "Most active 2.6.27 employers" for changed lines of code.
Interesting link!

upon further searching, i found this document, published in august 2009 (2.6.30), which lists the kernel history since 2005.

and, not surprisingly, google is a "bigger" contributor in terms of numbers of changes overall. the scalability of the kernel is one of the main pillars of their business, after all
i was just curious because they weren't listed among 2.6.27 employers.

nokia seem to contribute more to the kernel in recent times, though. the numbers since 2.6.24 (past 2 years) place them slightly ahead of google.

Last edited by SubCore; 2010-01-27 at 23:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
- Maemo code pushed upstream
It's better than that, Nokia tends to skip the middle step and just do its work on open source components upstream. They also tend to favor hiring developers from these projects directly (BlueZ, Mozilla, Telepathy, etc.).

Nokia contributes a very significant amount of code, money and effort. It certainly outstrips Android's significant NIH symptoms.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ributors&num=2

And that was way before Fremantle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thank you for this discussion. Yes, I should do some work on this.

Statistics based on LOC are always tricky. For instance in the Kernel we follow different rythms than the kernel releases and this is why sometimes you see Nokia in the top positions (when a product is announced and contributions are made) but not always. Also think that Maemo platform development is quite descentralized compared to e.g. Android so there are many non@nokia.com commits that come actually from Maemo funded/paid projects.

This is why "human stories" might be more illustrative, indeed.

Tracker is an interesting case. GUPnP comes to mind. And well, what about the own GTK+ half of the Linux communty is using in their desktops?

Some projects take their time until seeing the light and becoming concrete benefits for the community, like oFono for instance.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
GStreamer?

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I really really want to see this little myth that Nokia doesn't contribute to open source busted hard. So sick of seeing people who just don't know making these claims.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
http://www.notmart.org/index.php/BlaBla/New_job I stumbled upon this a while ago..

Thanks to the generous support of those people, these days known as Qt Development Frameworks (and the mother company Nokia of course), I'll be sponsored to work full time on KDE, in particular on the Plasma libraries and shells, especially the Plasma netbook project, that is taking up shape quite nicely. Plus there will be another quite cool Qt-related project

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post: