Active Topics

Notices

New version 2.2.7 of Stargus is in Extras-Devel and Extras-Testing now.

Vote for all packages to move Stargus into Extras:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...mo1~fremantle/
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...mo1~fremantle/
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...1.0.9-2maemo1/

After Wargus, Stargus is for N900 too.

Stargus is data game set for the Stratagus engine. It can be used to play Starcraft I from Blizzard Entertainment, but is needed original Starcraft I CD.

Stratagus is a free cross-platform real-time strategy gaming engine. It includes support for playing over Internet/LAN, or playing vs. computer opponents. The engine is configurable and can be used to create games with a wide-range of features specific to your needs.

Now Stargus is ported and work on Nokia N900 too.

I continue develop desktop version for Windows, Linux and mobile version for N900 together on one place. Project is hosted on Launchpad (where are desktop download files):

https://launchpad.net/stargus

Maemo version for N900 is in Extras-Devel and Extras-Testing repository.

Install instructions:

1. Copy INSTALL.EXE from original Starcraft I CD to phone directory /home/user/MyDocs/Starcraft (Connect phone to computer in mass storage mode and copy files to Starcraft directory) Note: Broodwar does not work

2. Install Stargus from Hildon Application Manager or via apt-get

3. During Stargus installation, data files from /home/user/MyDocs/Starcraft will be automatically extracted. Note that this process may take 15-30 minutes and installer may not responding.

4. After installation, Stargus can be run from Menu.

For reporting bugs, sending patches and answer tracker use ONLY launchpad project sites.

!Note that campaigns are not supported yet! Only single player or network multiplayer game work.

Updates in 2.2.5.5-2maemo3~fremantle:

Data files will be now extracted to /home/user/MyDocs/stratagus/stargus so Stargus will not spend space on /opt. To proper clean Stargus files from /opt is needed to run these commands (as root):
Code:
dpkg -P stargus
rm -rf /opt/stratagus/share/stargus
rm -rf /home/user/.stratagus-2.2/sc
and then install Stargus again
Attached Images

Last edited by pali; 2020-10-04 at 18:38.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
hi pali! Thanks! Btw will this work with the latest starcraft update(not broodwar)?
Also other than warcraft and starcraft are there any rts games for stratgus? Age of empire? Civilization? Battle realms? Or anything else?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I believe you CAN put other games on stratagus, not sure if anyone has.

Also, I've seen Stargus sitting in the Devel repository for like 4 weeks now - is there a reason for only announcing it just now? So there's a discussion thread, or something else?

Further question: Does support for the Brood War expansion pack look like it will be likely to come in the future? Or is there something horribly incompatible about it? I would assume the former, but might as well ask. (if the answer exists elsewhere on the project page, just slap me and direct me to look there).

And, I am also guessing that Stargus can play against Stargus for multiplayer, but Stargus and Starcraft I can't interact?

well yeah i read the description but how would i let other games run? Hehe and oh btw you should be able to play multiplayer even with original starcraft. That's what i red too... (wargus)You can't online as it can't play battle.net edition

Over 500MB in /home/? That's 1/4th the space! Move to MMC or MyDocs.

Sorry, there are no other games, which work with lastest version of Stratagus. Some games on sourceforge site http://stratagus.sourceforge.net/games.shtml maybe work with old version of Stratagus (but old version is only for desktop, not for N900).

Boswars use Stratagus engine too, but it is other project. Developers forked Stratagus engine some years ago and now Boswars has own modified engine (incompatible with Wargus/Stargus).

For Stratagus engine Joris Dauphin is working on projet War1gus which is mod for Warcraft I. Code of War1gus (still not working) is on https://code.launchpad.net/war1gus

Stargus need file INSTALL.EXE from original CD (which is MPQ archive) for extracting data. So no update is possible, data are extracted from CD.

Stargus was in Extras-devel, but it fail to install. I fixed it only yesterday, so I have not announced it before. Here can be (or now is) discussion thread for Stargus.

I only pack Stargus scripts and created extractor for Maemo. No other work... I have no time for Stargus and there is no other people which want work on Stargus. So BroodWar and other things will not be implemented... :-(

If you want working on Stargus, join to Stratagus team on launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~stratagus

Stratagus use other network communication as original Blizzard games, so it is not possible to play Stargus against Starcraft.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Over 500MB in /home/? That's 1/4th the space! Move to MMC or MyDocs.
Not all people has MMC. So MyDocs will be better choice.

For temporary solution you can create symlink from /opt/stratagus to MyDocs (and move folder) after installing Stratagus and Games...

But there is problem with dpkg and FAT32. FAT32 does not support linux access rights. So when I create DEB package which can install file to MyDocs dpkg fail with error: Cannot change permitions (in MyDocs) :-(

If somebody has found solution how to create DEB package which will install files to MyDocs (on FAT32), no problem I will change it...

Last edited by pali; 2010-12-27 at 10:27.

Originally Posted by pali View Post
Not all people has MMC. So MyDocs will be better choice.

For temporary solution you can create symlink from /opt/stratagus to MyDocs before installing Stratagus and Games...

But there is problem with dpkg and FAT32. FAT32 does not support linux access rights. So when I create DEB package which can install file to MyDocs dpkg fail with error: Cannot change permitions (in MyDocs) :-(

If somebody has found solution how to create DEB package which will install files to MyDocs (on FAT32), no problem I will change it...
I am not familiar with symlinks - could you give me the proper command line? I didn't know if it was possible to symlink between partitions.

symlinking is possible between partitions (it is symbolic link . But hardlinking is possible only on same partition and only for files.

you can create link with program ln:
$ ln -s orig_location destination
(this will create symbolic link from existing location to destination; -s means symbolic)

If you want to move stratagus to MyDocs, first move files and folders, then create symlink:
$ mv /opt/stratagus /home/user/MyDocs
$ ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/stratagus /opt/stratagus

Note: you must run these commands as root. And you may move it after installing (not before). Installation to MyDocs failed due to FAT permitions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
symlinking is possible between partitions (it is symbolic link . But hardlinking is possible only on same partition and only for files.

you can create link with program ln:
$ ln -s orig_location destination
(this will create symbolic link from existing location to destination; -s means symbolic)

If you want to move stratagus to MyDocs, first move files and folders, then create symlink:
$ mv /opt/stratagus /home/user/MyDocs
$ ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/stratagus /opt/stratagus

Note: you must run these commands as root. And you may move it after installing (not before). Installation to MyDocs failed due to FAT permitions.
Few problems with that method;

1) the FAT partition does not allow characters like '?' in file names, so a few files could not be moved.
2) I used

Code:
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Starcraft/stargus /opt/stratagus/share/stargus
But it was still looking for the install files...

I love Starcraft but over 500MB in the home directory is A LOT, even if you have repartitioned your device. Since Campaigns don't work, would it be possible not to extract those? What about an option for music and no music?

This is much better than the original Staragus (0.1-4) for the N900, I would like to see it run smoothly and without taking up so much space in such a small partition.

Tags
starcraft, stargus, stratagus