Active Topics

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Thank you for this. I swear most people don't do much on these devices other than tinker.
Just because people are doing different things to you, doesn't mean they aren't doing anything of value

My bank's website works fine for me. Not as convenient as an app, sure, but good enough for occasional use. I can see why you would want the app if you use it all the time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by locusf View Post
Sfdroid experiments are under way, otherwise Sailfish works quite brilliantly on FP2.
saw you had a hacking weekend :-)
how do sensors work in FP2 ?
Better then on the nexus5?
And powerconsumption: better then android?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frullewulle For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
Yes it was announced 21 of March.
https://twitter.com/Fairphone/status/711873870748323840

Also in the reply to that same tweet they said that they are working to get commercial parts of Sailfish to work on FP2.
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. My next phone will be a Sailfish Fairphone 2. The question is, can I buy one now, and flash it with commercial Sailfish when it's ready, or will I have to wait? I don't want to get stranded on a community port, but I don't mind paying a little extra for a Sailfish license when the time comes.

I've asked them on twitter, but no response so far

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abranson View Post
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. My next phone will be a Sailfish Fairphone 2. The question is, can I buy one now, and flash it with commercial Sailfish when it's ready, or will I have to wait? I don't want to get stranded on a community port, but I don't mind paying a little extra for a Sailfish license when the time comes.

I've asked them on twitter, but no response so far
If you have a Jolla can't you transfer the relevant RPMs? Obviously that's not ideal (or strictly legal?), but better than nothing - i don't think you'd be completely stuck without the commerical bits on a community port.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Maps transfers fine, exchange does not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
If you have a Jolla can't you transfer the relevant RPMs? Obviously that's not ideal (or strictly legal?), but better than nothing - i don't think you'd be completely stuck without the commerical bits on a community port.
Dalvik is dependent on the kernel version, which I'm hoping is a lot newer on the fairphone than the jolla. I'm sure there are plenty of other potential problems too, especially with upgrades. I think I'd rather wait for the official support without some sort of guarantee that I'll be able to switch without any of those shenanigans.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abranson View Post
Dalvik is dependent on the kernel version
Thanks, I didn't know that. Anyone know why?

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I don't think that this is a limitation of Alien Dalvik itself, but rather an outcome of having only binaries.

IIRC, part of Alien Dalvik on SailfishOS is a kernel module - if we had the sources, we could build it for newer kernel versions or use something like DKMS, but as we only have the binary, we are limited to one kernel version.

On top of that, I've read somewhere (if I remember it right) that porting Alien Dalvik is comparable to porting SailfishOS itself, as they are many device-specific problems (like sensors), so that's another limitation of having it only in binary form, not just the kernel version limitation.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
That doesn't sound accurate to me. Alien Dalvik maybe, but definitely not Dalvik.

Last edited by nh1402; 2016-04-12 at 12:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I don't think that this is a limitation of Alien Dalvik itself, but rather an outcome of having only binaries.

IIRC, part of Alien Dalvik on SailfishOS is a kernel module - if we had the sources, we could build it for newer kernel versions or use something like DKMS, but as we only have the binary, we are limited to one kernel version.

On top of that, I've read somewhere (if I remember it right) that porting Alien Dalvik is comparable to porting SailfishOS itself, as they are many device-specific problems (like sensors), so that's another limitation of having it only in binary form, not just the kernel version limitation.
and we have Chinese Flash files for the Tablet. Maybe is it possible to extract from them?

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:

Tags
fairphone, fairphone 2, sailfish os