Notices

Poll: Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?
Poll Options
Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?

is there any way to stream to android device? i want stream it to my Android tablet. but VLC on Android cant open .sdp file.

It could probably work if I get the old http stream method up and running again. I havent looked at this in months, so you might have to wait a bit for an update

If android supports X11 forwarding you could probably get it to work using the spycam.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Gent, Belgium
Works good for me, thanks man.

Only one small detail. It says "File sent! It's on your desktop" or something like that.

Well, that's impossible, because PhoneStreamer sends it with SSH to username@IP/desktop, but desktop doesn't exist here, because I'm belgian, and I have a dutch system. (where 'Desktop" is renamed to "Bureaublad")

And It won't appear on my desktop, I have to manually grab it, and open it with VLC.

Not a big problem tough, but would be slightly more handy if there would be a way to specify the path.

Hmm...how long do you have to wait for it to say "file Sent"? Is it immediate, or does it hang first?

I have to admit it never occured to me that ~/Desktop wasn't a universal thing.

I'll make sure to allow custom filepaths in future releases. I've got my plate a little full right now, so please be patient

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
first: thank you for this nice piece of software, works fine!...

there's one little thing... i've tried it with a vpn-connection, as mentioned in one of the earlier posts... i also use v4lloopback to stream it as a webcam to my linux... now the problem is the file that is sent to the desktop: the file uses the wrong ip-address (it uses the ip that i've got from my isp instead of the "vpn-address 192.168.x.x" of the tun device)

it's easy to change the ip in the shell-script on my desktop, so it's really not a big deal! i just wanted to mention this...

but still a very nice piece of software, thanks

Hello

So as I understand, it's still not possible to use the N900 as primary webcam on Windows PC for Yahoo or Live messenger?

@megszalott - not with this app no. I believe there is SmartCam which does this in Windows but you have to install SmartCam on your windows PC as well as your n900.

@ant83 - hey thanks for the kind words, really made my day!
I've never tried with a VPN connection. If you could do a little digging for me; what's your 'ifconfig' output?

The script I use searches for the wlan0 line in that output, but I guess VPN would be different.

@Everyone -- I swear if I get time in the next couple of weeks I'll try for an update. Right now, feedback is very useful so please keep it coming.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 220 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Not sure if people are aware, but to use as a webcam in Windows with Skype:
  • start streaming through VLC
  • start a Skype call (voice only, as you won't be able to do video without webcam hardware installed)
  • select "share desktop" option
  • select "share specific window"
  • select your VLC window that's streaming from your N900

Obvious issue is still the lack of sound, and even if it was integrated into PhoneStreamer, I don't know if the share desktop function of Skype also sends sound.

Any chance to have audio processed in the future? Preferably by a wired headset, as the microphone would be in a better position.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ DFW, Texas
***noticed that we started a new thread. Re-posting here.***

Kudos tetris11_ for all the work there provided! This is the kind of reason why n900 still beats any other phone out there imho.

Here are my specs: I'm running
- latest stable kernel-power (1:2.6.28-10power49)
- photostream: 0.9.3
- fcam drivers installed

N900 is overclocked at 1,150Mhz stable (always). Never had an issue in terms of crashes/random reboots whatsoever. That was until I attempted to work with photostream and in general use back or front camera for streaming.

When attempting to stream through photostream for VLC, n900 seems to hang (possibly due to inproper voltage) and restart on its own complaining that OC has failed and that it loaded the default settings.

So, after playing around a bit with different kernel-power profiles, I am stable with lv on 1000Mhz constant frequency (kernel-config limits 1000 1000). I'm able to stream through the back camera just fine, however, I do seem to have a greenish tint.

Anyone figure out what the cause might be? I've only managed to get a "proper" ungreenish tint stream twice and I can't seem to reproduce it for some odd reason. No matter what resolution I go with, or if I entirelly leave out kernel-power / OCing on n900, it still only comes out with a somewhat greenish tint. I have attempted to remove fcam drivers for testing purposes also to see if that was the cause, but unfortunately that didn't fix the greenish tint either.

I'd be grateful for any hints on getting that greenish tint removed.

Note: I've rebooted n900 several times to assure there wasn't an issue caused right after a failed oced n900 too

The Following User Says Thank You to slackmagic For This Useful Post:
@slackmagic
hey really glad to hear you're liking the app, despite its (numerous) bugs it can be pretty handy at times

I'm using the same kernel-power version as you, but haven't seen the reboots you've described. Then again I'm clocked at 800Mhz so maybe I'm just not trying hard enough :P

The greenish tinge I believe is caused when the back-camera is still calibrated to the lens cap (i.e. you may have started streaming without first focussing the lens). To fix, before you hit the 'Stream' button:
Slide open the vamera lens and wait for the default camera app to start. Then softpress the cam button to focus. Then close the cam app (NOT the lens cover) and you should be good to stream.

Hope this helps

@everyone
I've been a lazy arse and havent done anythnig for this app yet, but I should be free around February to restart development. I'm looking at some major backend rewrites

Stay tuned!

Tags
gstreamer, lets rock, video stream