Posts: 315 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ €@$T Montreal Quebec Canada
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
No -- there's no 'hack' to get 3G on the N900 in Canada. You simply need to switch to a wireless provider that offers AWS 3G data (which Rogers does not).

I'm really not sure what your options are in Quebec, unfortunately.
http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...reless_network

Whit my n95 8Go i got a 3.5g always fast....how i get it whit my n900...damn!!!

i mean...when i use statut bar switcher for put on dual or 3g...nothing is monitoring in NetMon App

here my log for gsm
maybe that give a clue

because i got 3.5g on my n95 via same network
because i connect in the past my n810 via my n95 on this network and got 3.5g too
same sim card and config

so why dont work on n900

montreal canada be able to got 21 mbps soon

so how get simple 3g+ / 7.2 Mbps like usualy on n900...like on n95...and many more...

that ubset me
French Noob

BorgTheme ¤ BorgSounds ¤ BorgStartUp ¤ BorgClock

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
@LABAUDIO, The N900 specs say that it supports HSPA via 900/1700/2100.

Rogers and Fido offer HSPA on 850/1900. So there is no way for the N900 to be on 3G with Rogers right now.

The N95 must be a NA model, which works 3G on ATT and Rogers.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
@LABAUDIO, The N900 specs say that it supports HSPA via 900/1700/2100.

Rogers and Fido offer HSPA on 850/1900. So there is no way for the N900 to be on 3G with Rogers right now.

The N95 must be a NA model, which works 3G on ATT and Rogers.
Exactly. The N900 hardware is simply not compatible with Rogers' 3G spectrum.

As far as I can tell, Vidéotron is the only operator with a license for AWS spectrum in Quebec, so unless that changes, you will have to wait for them to begin offering 3G there and then switch your service from Rogers to Vidéotron.

With any luck, that could happen as early as next month.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Montreal
Sorry for not using the Montreal thread (long forgotten), but I just needed to say that my N900 is working very well on the new Videotron wireless network in 3.5G in Montreal.

The speedtest result vary greatly from minute to minute but the speedtest to NewYork,
with Fido - Edge, I was getting
173Kb/s download and 79Kb/s upload with 225ms latency
Now with Videotron I'm getting
3409Kb/s download and 1146Kb/s upload with 96 latency

But I have to add that the speedtest page displayed that it detected compression on the upload (I never seen that message before Videotron wireless).

If you prefer the pure result that stay inside Videotron (test.videotron.ca)
5.85Mbps download and 799kbps upload with 110ms (that prove the network speed is really varying since I'm getting faster upload to NewYork!)

I am using N900 from August with 2 months of mobilicity and then I switch to Fido now.

Yeah, it shows up 2.5 G and it is for sure we are in 2 to 2.5G instead of 3G (or even 3.5G) and it's slower. Fido / Roger support 1900 MHz only. I heard from a post in xda developer that he got 2100MHz HSPA 3G but now he don't. He said even 1900 is turned off in Rogers and Fido because of saving the bandwidth. I don't know it's true but I will use netmon to confirm it.

Yes, definitely you can use it like a normal cell phone. Well, it is sure the data is slower in 2.5 G and I feel it. I use it with mobilicity 1700 for 2 Months and they even have 3.5 G and tethering it with wifi hotspot (btw, wifi hotspot works most of the time), it's even faster than using my bell connection with my ADSL sometime. Too bad that mobilicity (Wind too) only have 1700/2100 supported and the reception is really weak deal to the AWS high frequency's weak penetration power and distance (it's a known fact). I don't want to miss any call therefore I sacrifice the data transfer rate for my reception.

I heard that Telus and Bell will give SIM card for 3G HSPA network but I am not sure. Our phone said it support WCDMA so it might work with Telus and Bell. Just go a shop or phone in or email them and see what they said. They might or they might not accept us because our phone IMEI is not from them, at least I know that's the case in Telus.

yeah. our N900 spec doesn't support Fido/Rogers. Too bad.
Too bad. It's slow for us .....
if videotron come to Toronto, and they have both high and low frequency support for N900, then I would like to try it. (Well, it also depends on their data price too.)

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
why wait for videotron? I'm gonna switch to Wind , they support 3G and it seems reasonably priced

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
I would've switched to WIND to get my N900 working on 3G, but I've heard (and read) bad reviews from those who have gone to them.

The basic complaint is coverage. People have to be in, or very close to, toronto to get anything significant for coverage.

A friend also told me that their tech support treated him pretty badly, including hanging up on him. He's made a complaint, but they didn't do anything about it.

As much as I hate paying rogers my money, since I don't work for them anymore, I've been searching high & low for a decent alternative and haven't been able to find one. The reports about Rogers or Fido even getting new bands like GSM World suggests, is also pretty sketchy.

Link: http://www.mobileworldlive.com/maps/...8&cname=Canada

So.. really, I don't know. I have until the end of July with rogers, and I haven't renewed. If WIND happens to improve by then, I'll give them a shot, but for now I'm stuck with my 2.5G.

EDIT: 'DAVE' Shows up on that list, but they launched as Mobilicity in the end

Hey guys....I have an N900 and its not working for the last 1 year. I spent $600+ and is of no use now. I use a Wind Basic model. I am in Toronto.

Is there a way that I can get some use out of this phone. Wer can I repair this phone in Toronto?

Welcome Augus123,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have no use. Are you referring to the data settings for Wind? If you have a voice/data plan, the AP is internet.windmobile.ca. If you are using a data plan only (as in for the usb sticks), then the AP is broadband.windmobile.ca. I use this on Wind and it's been great!

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind