Originally Posted by dy1ng View Post
N900 is still ok if you don't need any mainstream apps, internet, advanced gps and transportation tools, social crap, and standby time.
Do you mean it has a lot of standby time, or only little?

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Do you mean it has a lot of standby time, or only little?
My N900 was very weak in the terms of battery life. Even with a new, genuine 1430 (I think, I can't check now, my swap is on my SD ) mAh battery, I needed a mobile power bank or a charger in the middle of the day if I wanted to use it's capabilites. Default CPU speeds or OCd to 500-1000 MHz doesn't really matter.

LG Leon (1900 mAh) doesn't need any power for at least one day, two days are possible with intermediate use.
And I mean this with constantly online mobile data (LTE), 2-4 hours of music playing, and some Messenger usage, checking bus schedules with GPS and so on.. it's a whole new dimension.. N900 just old.
As a phone, and phone only, it's ok, as a smartphone, well.. questionable these days

The Following User Says Thank You to dy1ng For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Who is wrong?
Not who, what.
This claim:

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
N900 viable as a daily phone driver? No.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not who, what.
This claim:
We have different opinions. Last I checked, opinions are unarguable. You have yours. I have mine. We differ. Get over thinking that it's wrong because it counters yours.

I offered my opinion. I stand by it. Will continue to do so, especially now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Exactly. I did not object to your opinion. I objected to its presentation. It looked like a statement of an objective fact, which it obviously isn't. I just copied the same style.

Opinions differ and so do use cases. There is no objectiive answer to many questions, including the one that is the subject of this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Exactly. I did not object to your opinion. I objected to its presentation. It looked like a statement of an objective fact, which it obviously isn't. I just copied the same style.

Opinions differ and so do use cases. There is no objectiive answer to many questions, including the one that is the subject of this thread.
In this case, the use cases are very specific and spelled out by the OP (see below).

My opinions were based on that, not any other conjecture nor input from anybody else; including you.

Battery life was horrible to begin with. I never got a full day out of the N900. Even the Wikipedia page acknowledges this. But then again, I was one of the few people that actually used the phone to communicate - you know, make calls, send texts and when the community added it, also send MMS messages since that was not part of the original specs delivered to the users.

The GPS lock was also horrible. I took my N900 to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and never got a lock while in that city for three days. That was honestly the biggest reason I returned our three purchased devices. In fact, it was second only to the fact that the other two phones exhibited faulty USB ports and I had already shaved down the prongs on the cables.

And the web browser... today? Might as well use something else than the stock browser. I couldn't surf heavy JS sites on the N900 then. It's probably worse now.

Those are all of my opinions based on the use cases put forth by the OP. There were no other ones I took into mind when responding. Your input on my statement as a "fact" - that's only your interpretation and not my intent.

Originally Posted by cferrism View Post
My fancy android phone screen smashed and rather than replacing the screen im toying with picking up a second hand n900 instead as it is still the best mobile device I ever owned and I miss my slide out keyboard... however Im looking for a reality check before I do

How is a second hand phone battery gonna be? You guys still making it through a day?
How is the web browser at this stage, can I browse casually on the sofa one handed without frustration
I remember the Sat Nav app/GPS signal being pretty poor. Could I use for my daily commute and detour without fear its not gonna still get me there

Anything else that could say my decision?

This is probably a tired question this many years on but thought Id get an up to date opinion from anyone still haunting this forum

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
From the bowels of the sub forums ...
I megaphone that ...
"You are BOTH wrong! ... the deified N8x0 rules with an iron fist and trumps even Laser Sword!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QoFRNfIk60

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
FWIW I use my N900 for communication all the time, calls, texts, MMS are probably the most used things after the media player and the GPS.

All these work perfectly well for me, most returning users will feel at home returning to Maemo UI.

I still get several days from my N900's Polarcell with fairly average usage, so I can only assume something was chewing your battery life.

An issue with the N900 from a user perspective is you have to be careful how you use it and what you install on it. Going to Extras and installing everything will no doubt cause slowness. I found out very quickly that less is more when it comes to "apps".

Yes, browsing is clunky but I am getting good results from QML Browser at the moment. Opera has always been operational for most.

Also yes some devices have issues with the USB port, but again we are talking about a returning user.
The device isn't for everyone but for many here, myself included, there isn't anything else suitable, I would say if your considering returning then your highly likely to put up with it's quirks over the other offerings.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
As a daily driver, it has failed me repeatedly by losing messages - a known issue when multiple messages come in. Recently, too, I've lost all the data in MyDocs.

I do, however, use it as a daily driver when in a particular country, as I don't like switching SIM cards. But then I know that I won't be making many calls and any SMS are not critical.

A most recent use was in a prank. I used the megaphone app to pick up my voice, and connected the N900 to a bluetooth speaker that in a colleague's office behind a wall. Helloooooo...

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
It is my daily driver since 2011 when I bought it. Most sites I need work just fine in microb. On mine, Opera is memory hog.
And yes, it is a communication's device for me.
I do have an SGS4 for WhatsApp purposes (simply because my dad gave me the phone), but that's where its use ends. Everything else happens on N900, including all my email use.
IRC ... N900. Skype ... N900. Lync at work ... N900 (i tried Lync app for Android on SGS4, and found it unreliable compared to Pidgin's implementation)
Anyway yes, ymmv - we all need different things in life, and that's why it's so good to have variety.
Life would be dull if everyone owned a BMW/Merc/whatever brand :-)
Each to his own!
I'll stick to my N900 until it becomes inoperable

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post: